Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-29-2009, 07:29 AM

Default Over/under shotguns

K...... lets here your opinions on O/U's. I don't mean ones tht you put 200 rds a year through, any shotgun will handle that.....or will they.

Anyway waddya shoot and how do you like it? Just o/u's please. I have a few 870's and yes they are wonderful, but.......o/u's.

I have a Beretta 687 SP II that I have cranked 15-16000 rds through in 16 months. I know you Browning guys must have an opinion.........
Old 07-29-2009, 03:48 PM

i have a yildiz spz me 12ga...i like it a lot...it is light, swings well and easy to handle....i, however, do not put it up in the same catagory as more expensive guns that i have handled or shot....i can def. tell a difference. but for my needs and my budget it works and looks great.

the other gun in this pic is my fathers yildiz sxs
Old 07-29-2009, 05:54 PM

i shoot a browning cynergy sporting with 28" barrels love it. swings fast feels balance and can be adjusted to fit you perefect.
Old 07-29-2009, 06:49 PM

Default ithica

I also owned two browning sporting clay guns with ported barrels the whole works and still perfer the old ithica o/u beauitful gun.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:48 PM

I have a mess of O/U's and SXS's , but have definate preferences, for sure.
OLD browning O/U Superposed's, and FAIR shotguns are my current favourites, although i also have Berretas, just sold an E. Rizzini, a Casear Guerinni, and a bunch of others.
I prefer O/U's to pumps, and SXS's to O/U's , as long as they
are in sub gauge guns and shoot where you look!!
Cat
Old 07-29-2009, 09:54 PM

Default browning 525

Tried a dozen different guns at the local club before deciding the 525 fit the best. It makes a fantastic field gun as well. most shotguns, to get the ultimate in performance, require a proper fit. I liked the browning 525 o/u so much that I kept going and bought the 20 and 28 guage in the sporting model as well! The little 28 gu is a dream to pack in the field, and great for partridge and sharptails.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM

ok...so we do have some Sporting Clays guys here.....

Seen a fair nbr of 525's at the shoots. Beretta seemed to fit the best when I bought it, so ended up with it.

Friend of mine thats not in the same pay grade as I am has a few Perazzi's that I've had a chance to shoot. Nobody tell him, but I find them a bit heavy and awkward for me. Beautiful firearms, to be sure.

Clash: Did you ever find a Vizsla...or have you moved on. I've heard good things about the Yildiz.

Any of you guys shooting the Provincials?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

Default o/u selection

Tried the berettas but really had to bear down to get the rib lined up. Gets kinda hard on the face after a few hundred rounds. You can get a good smith to make pretty near any gun fit, it only takes money! Definitely go with the gun that fits you the most natural (within your price range) and work with it from there.
As for the provincials, I would love to go, and they are really trying to get a group from our club up there, just cant sneak the time away from work at present. I hear its a really challenging course!
Old 07-30-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Tried the berettas but really had to bear down to get the rib lined up. Gets kinda hard on the face after a few hundred rounds. You can get a good smith to make pretty near any gun fit, it only takes money! Definitely go with the gun that fits you the most natural (within your price range) and work with it from there.
As for the provincials, I would love to go, and they are really trying to get a group from our club up there, just cant sneak the time away from work at present. I hear its a really challenging course!
I'm sure it will be. Hopefully it won't be an eye test, which I understand the G.P shoot was a bit of. I just looked at the ASCA site...and looks like I got bumped to "AA" for the Provincials. I was expecting it soon as I was only .40 of 1 percent off, but, I thought I'd be able to shoot as an "A". Not sure I agree with the way they are doing this. Ohh well.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:14 AM

ruger 20ga, swings and shoots like a dream
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
ok...so we do have some Sporting Clays guys here.....

Seen a fair nbr of 525's at the shoots. Beretta seemed to fit the best when I bought it, so ended up with it.

Friend of mine thats not in the same pay grade as I am has a few Perazzi's that I've had a chance to shoot. Nobody tell him, but I find them a bit heavy and awkward for me. Beautiful firearms, to be sure.

Clash: Did you ever find a Vizsla...or have you moved on. I've heard good things about the Yildiz.

Any of you guys shooting the Provincials?
hey ackley we have decided to stay with rhodesians....the certainly are not the bird dog that a vizsla is....but we are in love with the breed and what it brings to the table.....expect a whole whack of new pics this winter...we hope.....

on another note..and O/U note....when the time comes for me to be able to move up the ladder on the O/U front...i am wondering if, in my price range(1500-2000 bucks) if getting a specifically left handed O/U will make a difference..or if they even make a lefty version in that price range?
Old 07-30-2009, 04:47 PM

Not a sporting clays guy but I hunt with a citori fits nice swings nice it only gets a couple hundred rounds a year through it between warm up clays and upland. Most say its too heavy but I like it that way swings nicer than the light ones in my opinion and sucks up a bit of recoil.
hope to have one in 20g soon...

cohod