Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-19-2022, 11:45 PM

Default Route into Kimowin/Hook lake AB?

Hey guys,

I know most people don't like to share lake info but Im hoping someone over here can help me out. I have been looking for a route into Kimowin lake off the La Loche winter road. Ive driven this road countless times now looking. Buried the sxs in a few cuttlines ect. I have been told by multiple people of a route in that is 4x4 pickup accessible but looking at maps and doing my own scouting I have yet to find anything that doesn't require a sled. OR alternatively point me in the direction of a lake that is within an hour or so of Fort Mac that produces perch would be great. No sled here, sxs or pickup only, or if not super far can walk in.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:09 AM

Hi,

there is no reliable way to drive into that lake. In years with low snow, you can get in with a truck or sxs on the cut lines, but this year there is way too much snow for that. You really need a sled to get in.

As a side note this lake seems stunted, and I have only caught 4" perch there for the last several years. I don't claim to be the world's best perch fisherman though, so others may be doing better. 10 years ago it was certainly full of fatties.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:48 AM

I heard from a friend that tried to get into the lake a few weeks ago and said there was so much dead fall needed a full day to clear the trees to even get to the lake.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astepanuk View Post
I heard from a friend that tried to get into the lake a few weeks ago and said there was so much dead fall needed a full day to clear the trees to even get to the lake.
I would believe that, we did manage to get in last year on a sxs with tracks, but a sled or snow dog would be better, did not see or catch nothing though...
Old 02-11-2022, 08:12 AM

I went down earlier in the season. Both main trails off the Loche winter road didn’t even have a track on them. The second trail I tried to take had a lot of dead fall. I had to break trial off the main road just to park the truck. Then decided to just leave as I didn’t want to leave my truck that close to the road.