Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Cool Mini 14 Target Optics

Howdy,

Just picked up a new Mini 14 Target rifle and was wondering what others have put on for optics. I have the laminated stock one that weighs 9.5lbs. I was looking at one of three brands: Zeiss, Leupold VX-L and the new Bushness Elite Series in 6500. Hoping others with the same rifle can provide some feedback. I already own a VXL and some Zeiss scopes and love them, but the new Bushnells 6.5 magnifiaction range looks really attractive. Always tough decisions!

Thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

whatcha gonna use it for?

i have a custom mini in 6.8 coming and its going to wear the leupy mk4 1.5-5 illum. special purpose reticle (they have .223 and .308 trajectory turrets avail.) so its super fast for close range targets (ie; calling predators) but easy to calibrate to 600m....thats my choice for that gun but i had predator calling specifically in mind for mine....and dealing with multiple targets moving quick at close range which ends up being 90% of the time for me....
Old 06-16-2008, 02:04 PM

Predatory hunting and gopher hunting and a little target shooting. I was hoping like you to be able to shoot out to 600m with it. Will have to look at that scope. What are the key differences between that scope and say a VXL which I believe uses the same glass just doesn't have the chunk missing for lower mounting?
Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM

the leupy mk series are the tactical/LR target scopes and the vx series are the hunting scopes. the tac scopes have compensation knobs and stinky is getting his in a relativly low power range for close targets which will make it harder for those 600 m shots but like he said 90% of the time its fast paced shooting at yotes almost in his lap. So this scope will be a great scope for that plus the illuminated reticle will be great for low light conditions ie. first and last 30 min of the winter day. If you want a 600 m gopher gun im going to suggest a 4.5-14, 5-15, or 6-20 or 24. These power ranges will give you a good power to see the little guys yet low enough to shoot yotes at 50 yds it may take a little longer to get the target in the crosshairs but once again it all depends on what you will use it for the most. I was shooting gophers at 120yds with a 22lr saturday with a 10 power scope and i could see them quite well but i would want something in the 15-20 power at 200 to 300 like what i have on my 22-250. its good for gophers out to 400 so long as the grass isnt too long. Buy what suits your intentions and you wont be dissapointed
Old 06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Banned

might be a little low mag for the gopher thing, mk4 would be top of the line scopes from leupold as much as anything else they offer....at the high end of their product lines...if gophers were on my list i'd go for higher mag scope, possibly still a mk4, maybe 4.5-14 etc. as 4.5x still works for coyotes called in okay...not a fan of the vxl concept, i'm sure they are nice scopes...just seems like gimmick to me and the vx3's are top scopes, the mk4's are just about same but built more for military/law enforcement types where the vx3's are geared more towards hunting etc....i'd be choosing between vx3 or mk4's
Old 06-16-2008, 04:33 PM

The new weaver grandslam its in the $500 range I think, Ive got one on my 308. I closely compaired it to bushnell and it was the winner when it came to clairety. A high end leupold is the winner but I couldent afford it at the time but my weaver was a close second.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:15 PM

Default 6500 Bushnell Elite

For all the reasons mentioned above the Bushnell 6500 Elite series is attractive 2.5 x 16 magnification, BUT does it measure up to Leupold VX-L or Zeiss conquest clarifty and ruggedness?

Last edited by ricky; 06-16-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Mini 14

One thing to take into consideration.................I had a Zeiss 6-24 X %0mm Conquest on mine, and the brass was hammering the Windage turret so I reluctantly took it off So, I'd try and stay away from anything with extended turrets, which sucks on something designed for target shooting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mini-14 shrunk.JPG (59.6 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-16-2008, 10:10 PM

hey lucky if you like the scope why dont you put in a little curved piece of sheet metal to deflect the brass down so that it wont hit your scope
Old 06-16-2008, 10:41 PM

I am awaiting a reply back fron Sturm & Ruger to see if this is common on all of the target models ...or perhaps just mine. Maybe they will have a solution....so until then the Zeiss is doing back up duty on my new Savage F/TR while I await new Near rings and bases for a Bushnell Elite 6500 ( 4.5-30 X 50mm)
Old 06-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Banned

they spit brass hard from factory but go to accuracy systems website they have bushings you can replace that lessen how hard they chuck brass but may not lessen hitting scope....just thought i'd mention it...

also, nikon monarch scopes with 4x zoom range will probably be great for the money....
Old 06-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Hey Lucky how does the glass on the Bushnell 6500 compare to the glass on the Zeiss. I am really impressed with the Zeiss glass, I looked through the Bushnell at the store and it looked really nice, BUT they never had a Zeiss for me to put it side by side?

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this thread, I learned some interesting facts

Ricky
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM

I guess I'll have to get some newsprint and some resolution test charts out at 100yds and do a comparison between the 6500, V-XL and the Zeiss.