Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Default .223 Rem reloading help

Hey all,

I am looking for some feedback from any of you who reload for the .223 Rem. I am interested in producing some loads using either the Barnes Varmint Grenade or the Hornady V-Max, and I am wondering if any of you have used either of these and what your experience has been. Also any other bullet suggestions would be great.

Also, what might you suggest for a reloading manual? I know that basically every manufacturer has their own manual, so would you suggest any of them or am I better off to just get info for various loads on the internet?

Thanks very much!

Heckler
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 PM

Question

not enough information.....what twist? bullet weight?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:13 PM

As far as 223 bullets go, I'm a big fan of the Honady SPSX, but I do have some Grenades to try out this spring.

All reloading manuals are good, I particularly like the Speer and Hornady manuals but I have many more. More that 1 manual never hurts, you can cross-reference your loads just to be sure. There have been and will likely always be typos and other errors in any manual.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:17 PM

I've shot the 40gr Vmax & the 36gr BVG in my .223 for gophers. Not only was the Vmax more accurate in my gun than the barnes but it had far more explosive results. I load sierra's 40gr blitzkings in my buddy's .223 and they are accurate and very spectacular in their performance.
I only have hornady's & noslers reloading manual. My reloading buddies have barnes and speers so that way we all share if need be. Hodgdon's manual on the web is very good for info but sometimes I just like reading the intro into a cartridge that I don't have so having a manual is a good thing to browse through.

ruger300
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 PM

Thanks joe - what weight do you use for the Hornady bullets?

More info...twist is 1 in 9 "; bullet weight 36 gr. Barnes and 40 gr. Hornady is what I want to try, but I prefer accuracy over speed so I would definitely try a heavier bullet if need be.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:09 PM

I use 25.7gr of Varget with a plain Jane 55gr sierra SP, COL 2.215". I am getting 3 shots all within a penny at 100 yards.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:57 AM

in terms of manuals, I have Hornady, Speer, Nosler and Sierra...all good reference books. There is also a website I subsribed to, called Loaddata.com --- there is a lot of load data there...I have verified most of what I have read there with my manuals, just to make sure.....
can't go wrong with the 40g bullets by Horn and Sierra. Hard to find lately in Calgary......
Old 04-10-2009, 07:25 AM

try H4895 for the 36gr, I was shooting 35gr Vmax in mine (1:12) shooting one hole but any wind down range...forget it. For 40 gr try W748 or H335 both work well ,for me H335 gets the nod ..

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 04-10-2009, 09:06 PM

Awesome - thanks everyone.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned

This is a great site for all different loads. Check it out . reloadersnest.com. Hope this helps.....