Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Banned

Default cleaning up the gear to get ready for open water

how is every one else makin out getting ready for new season? I went through some of my gear last night, organizing it, swapping a couple hooks, taking note of things i need to get. or at least tell my im not the only person who sits and reorganizes his tackle box once in a while
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Default Nope

i have the stuff in the house. getting ready to do mine.
i think it will take me a few hours.lol
should have more free nights now that the flames never made it. again!! lol.

orv.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:51 PM

Done and ready boxing day week. Buy all my stuff during the sale and get ready, then dream of spring (if it ever happens)
Old 04-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Leaving for the coast tommorow am actually
Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Doing a small dust up shortly,,, last year it took two long afternoons. this year it's plexiglass shelves and racks and a new rod wall and a lure making section. rule for this year is to buy no new lures until we run low which looks like about the year 2024.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Tying spinner rigs and flies. Transferring reels over to the summer rods this afternoon. Going to mount the new ipilot V2 if it warms up a little.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
Doing a small dust up shortly,,, last year it took two long afternoons. this year it's plexiglass shelves and racks and a new rod wall and a lure making section. rule for this year is to buy no new lures until we run low which looks like about the year 2024.
haha. some of your home made lure look horrible. bits and peices of other shredded lures......but i tell you some of those ones that you have me work awesome. Designed for fish appeal, not human. lol
Old 04-15-2011, 03:15 PM
Banned

another question. whats on some of your guys' "shopping list" to pick up for the begining of the season. ill be tying spinners soon so i want to pick up some more beads and trebbles. got lots of blades. those are the main things and im hoping to broaden my pathetic collection of cranks. but they are just so expensive and my money is going to the boat instead of cranks. cant justify both.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Banned

I got rods reel and tackle all over the place. It's a good time to reline some reels replace some hook. Most of all have to dig out and clean up all my BASS EQUIPMENT ........BAHahahahahahaah............
Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun View Post
haha. some of your home made lure look horrible. bits and peices of other shredded lures......but i tell you some of those ones that you have me work awesome. Designed for fish appeal, not human. lol
I made a flasher/spoon last year that was slaying big pike and if you think what I gave you was ugly,,,, another crazy recycled lure I made was equally awesome but still had a few fishers near me frowning (maybe because I was catching every other cast). Years ago I baited my hook with the guts of a pike and fished it like a spoon to the utter dismay of my Dad and caught a huge pike (seriously, the guts were trailing about 18 inches). It seems the uglier the lure the better the catch, asthetics are fine but look at chubs crawlers for flyfishing, definitely not the Rolls Royce of pretty but I know that pattern is killer. Hows the streamer on the rap performing? I have caught fish with impromtu flies tied with my socks. I'm the Salvation Army of fishing tackle for sure,, they probably wouldn't give me a table at a low end flea market. Cant wait to try out my dowelling crankbaits.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
I made a flasher/spoon last year that was slaying big pike and if you think what I gave you was ugly,,,, another crazy recycled lure I made was equally awesome but still had a few fishers near me frowning (maybe because I was catching every other cast). Years ago I baited my hook with the guts of a pike and fished it like a spoon to the utter dismay of my Dad and caught a huge pike (seriously, the guts were trailing about 18 inches). It seems the uglier the lure the better the catch, asthetics are fine but look at chubs crawlers for flyfishing, definitely not the Rolls Royce of pretty but I know that pattern is killer. Hows the streamer on the rap performing? I have caught fish with impromtu flies tied with my socks. I'm the Salvation Army of fishing tackle for sure,, they probably wouldn't give me a table at a low end flea market. Cant wait to try out my dowelling crankbaits.
oh god i could only imagine you using the pike as bait. the streamers as the last hook on a crank is the best piece of advice anyone has ever given me. I share that tidbit with anyone who asks. seriously, I will be replacing the last treble on every single crankbait I buy for the rest of my life with a big red or funky colored streamer.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
no one ever says something nice about chubb..................lol
Old 04-15-2011, 04:38 PM

First day me and a couple buddies are hitting sylvan lake at midnight on opening day. Where targeting eyes in the night nothing better! needless to say we arnt using bait all topwaters
Old 04-15-2011, 08:08 PM

Been fishing the NSR for a couple weeks now

Now if only the fish would show up

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-16-2011, 12:02 AM

I'll be spending the weekend in the garage working on the boat. Putting a carpeted floor
in it and a raised deck on the bow with storage compartments underneath. Will be moving the gas can and battery up front and mounting the Ipilot. Can't wait to get started, then start on the summer gear and put away the auger and tent.

Then spend easter weekend waiting and waiting for some water to open up somewhere.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post
I'll be spending the weekend in the garage working on the boat. Putting a carpeted floor
in it and a raised deck on the bow with storage compartments underneath. Will be moving the gas can and battery up front and mounting the Ipilot. Can't wait to get started, then start on the summer gear and put away the auger and tent.

Then spend easter weekend waiting and waiting for some water to open up somewhere.
sounds similar to my boat project. I am installing a livewell as well
Old 04-16-2011, 10:21 AM

I haven't looked at my spinning gear yet. Got most of it in the house though. I have been busy trying to sell my fly gear. My fiance and a few buddies want to come with me more often if I sell my fly gear. Plus I had a shoulder injury catch up to me, which will end the fly fishing I think.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:35 AM

Gear sorted, ice gear cleaned and stored, all rods have fresh line, and next weekend I am going to go hammer some bc bass!!!!!! Been on the bow pulling out spawning pigs, and can't wait to launch the new boat.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:17 AM

Did it a couple weeks ago, pulled everything out of the garage, checked line etc and cleaned and organized the trays in my bag, taking notes as to a few things I'd like to pick up before too long, and re-familiarizing myself with how I'd packed things so I could quickly remember where everything was..
Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM

Walmart used to have little bottles of sewing machine oil with a little tube that could extend out up to 6". It works well, allowing a small drop to come off the end. While everyone is shining up their hooks, don't forget to oil your reels.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Dug out pretty much all my gear, just missing afew trout boxes. Went to FH afew times, gave all my gear the good ol' spit shine. Cleaned all the winter gear, back to the garage it went. Just waiting for Muir opening, giving myself cabin fever.

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt
Old 04-16-2011, 09:05 PM

Just started today,have to install new structure scan module(and figure out how to run it).Getting all my gear ready to head out to the Bay of Quinte for season opener May 7th.Trolling cranks for monster eyes,can't wait!
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Been fishing the NSR for a couple weeks now

Now if only the fish would show up

They were waiting for YOU. Got tired of waiting!