Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-18-2014, 12:58 PM

Does anyone know if it is fine for a person without a PAL to sign in a rifle or would they have to share a gun.

I will call if we get drawn just wondering if anyone that's been has dealt with this.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vessey View Post
Does anyone know if it is fine for a person without a PAL to sign in a rifle or would they have to share a gun.

I will call if we get drawn just wondering if anyone that's been has dealt with this.
great question....
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:

I would think you need to have a Pal or Pol to be legally in possesion of a firearm.
If you have niether than you could not legally hunt.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:14 PM

Default Suffield Elk Cull Hunt February 2015

Has anyone hunted inside Suffield previously? It is similiar to Wainwright for access. I would love to kill an elk there but the information package states no ATV's and no access off maintained roads. Wainwright you can drive any open area so I am concerned as to how only 2 of us would drag an elk to the road if we cannot take the truck to the kill site. Any been there??
Old 12-18-2014, 01:31 PM

Default Yes

I've been there twice. If you have an animal down it is ok to drive to it to retrieve it. They do ask that you walk the route ahead of your vehicle to check for tank ruts or other hazards. The danger is getting stuck. Range Patrol are not allowed to help you as far as a tow so you will have to have friends nearby or you have to call a tow truck from Med Hat which charges by the hour. Tow truck has to attend briefing so you can see how the $$ will add up.

There were so many freakin trails out there we were able to go everywhere we desired within the hunting areas.

Looper
Old 12-18-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
I would think you need to have a Pal or Pol to be legally in possesion of a firearm.
If you have niether than you could not legally hunt.
Taking a kid or friend that doesn't have their PAL hunting is legal, I am just curious cause there are extra rules on the base.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks Looper, we're putting in for the draw. Wainwirght was like a community hunt, if a large bull was down, we'd end up with 20 guys helping to load it! I can only hope we have as much success in Suffield.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Taking a kid or friend that doesn't have their PAL hunting is legal, I am just curious cause there are extra rules on the base.
I thought you were talking about the licensed shooter,But if one of you had a pal or pol than you would be fine.
Old 12-18-2014, 02:03 PM

Default A little tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big DK View Post
Thanks Looper, we're putting in for the draw. Wainwirght was like a community hunt, if a large bull was down, we'd end up with 20 guys helping to load it! I can only hope we have as much success in Suffield.

Be sociable at the briefing. Exchange cell phone numbers and shake a few hands. Lots of guys willing to team up for loading, dragging, spotting. Some guys not so much.

Bring spare can or 2 of fuel if you have room. And some snot rags. I cried a little when I saw the bulls that no has a tag for.

It's a fun place to be even if it is a cull and not a prisitne wilderness hunt.

Looper
Old 12-18-2014, 10:04 PM
Banned

I heard all cows at suffield have been personally spayed by Bob Barker so no possibility of shooting one's that pregnant
Old 12-18-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawckeye View Post
Nice pics. I am assuming you were on the ex 3 yrs ago. You should of read the RSO more closely as pictures are not authorized unless specific BComd approval. These pics don't have nothing to do with the harvest. Sorry I don't share yor sense of humour.
Well, you know what they say about ASSuming anything don't you? I haven't been to CFB Suffield (yet) so I'm not aware of all the rules that apply there, nor did I originally post this picture ( which could be from anywhere In the world for all I know)! As far as not sharing my sense of humor, get in line!

Last edited by boonedocks; 12-18-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
No and I get that whether you shoot one in late September or October or Feb you are "killing" the same number of animals but I guess that is also my argument why not have this hunt in September or Oct? Why wait until the fetus is so mature? Just seems messed up to me.

Not really passing judgement on anyone just my own perspective ....Ill continue shooting bulls every year
I agree it would be great if you wee able to hunt in SEpt/Oct however the yearly training is still going on and yes everyday right up to the Elk reduction. I heard they are looking at hunting right through Dec next year so they can get away from Feb. time will tell
Old 12-19-2014, 08:26 PM

I see in the rules there are 6 different numbers for draw options
How are these allocated
Old 12-19-2014, 08:33 PM

I see in the rules there are 6 different numbers for draw options
How are these allocated

Cancel that
Looking at the wrong draw
Old 12-20-2014, 01:16 AM
Banned

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
Because like several people have noted, pictures of the base are strictly prohibited by the government. It would be nice to see more but posting them threatens hunters access to the base if their rules aren't followed. These pics look like they were taken by personnel, not hunters, but they are being posted here on a forum about the hunt.

YEA so what , type in google , SUFFIELD BASE PICS and up pops 500 or more.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
YEA so what , type in google , SUFFIELD BASE PICS and up pops 500 or more.

Fair enough. That still doesn't make this pics legal. If you goto the safety briefing for any Suffield hunt, they lay down the law on pictures. So why risk it by posting them here? Are they going to do anything about it...probably not. But lets not jeopardize our hunting access to the base.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:

If you have a partner with you that has a pal and you are using his gun, your fine.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Jeez guys just put in for the draw . If you get drawn range control will tell you all the rules. Give you maps and tell you where the herd is. It's not a hunt it's a cull. If i get drawn i will be hunting with friend who is range contro . Just go and have some fun

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-20-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
Jeez guys just put in for the draw . If you get drawn range control will tell you all the rules. Give you maps and tell you where the herd is. It's not a hunt it's a cull. If i get drawn i will be hunting with friend who is range contro . Just go and have some fun

X2
Old 12-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
Fair enough. That still doesn't make this pics legal. If you goto the safety briefing for any Suffield hunt, they lay down the law on pictures. So why risk it by posting them here? Are they going to do anything about it...probably not. But lets not jeopardize our hunting access to the base.
Really don't think someone who illegally posts a pic. from the base would jeaprodize the hunt for everyone. If it was that simple then PETA or some other anti-hunting group would be posting pics. of the base all the time to try and shut down hunt.
Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 AM

There is only one area that is sensitive that is the no go zone. And its no secret whats there just go hunting and follow the rules

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-20-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Really don't think someone who illegally posts a pic. from the base would jeaprodize the hunt for everyone. If it was that simple then PETA or some other anti-hunting group would be posting pics. of the base all the time to try and shut down hunt.

Fine. Lets let this die. This is going off topic from this thread. Start a new one if you really want to discuss further. At this point none of this is adding to information about this hunt and thread.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

http://www.ec.gc.ca/ap-pa/default.as...n&n=B2810E5D-1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British..._Unit_Suffield

http://www.cenovus.com/operations/na.../suffield.html

http://www.calgaryherald.com/technol...436/story.html

Google it. There are literally hundreds of pictures from the inside. I don't know what ego maniac decided to institute the no pic rule as it is the only base I know of with such a ridiculous idea, but it isn't iron clad. If they ask you not to because of work or the hunt, then I would abide, but FFS use your head. Nobody is going to get court marshalled, waterboarded or anything else over it.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:26 AM

What documentation do you need when you register each morning?

Hunting license and tag
Vehicle registration and insurance
PAL licence

Anything else?
Old 12-22-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple droptine View Post
What documentation do you need when you register each morning?

Hunting license and tag
Vehicle registration and insurance
PAL licence

Anything else?
Make, Model and caliber of rifle.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Hey! we cant let this thread die! if we keep it going to 2015 it might win the award for the worst thread of 2014 AND 2015.... anyone have anymore STUPID questions or POINTLESS opinions? lets hear them!.... BTT
Old 12-22-2014, 03:56 PM

Any idea if motorized vehicles will be allowed on the base for this hunt?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM

Should I bring a ground blind or a tree stand?
Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzzzz View Post
Any idea if motorized vehicles will be allowed on the base for this hunt?
Dog sled and saddle horse only.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Should I bring a ground blind or a tree stand?
If you get stuck tree blinds make better dead heads for winching operations than a flimsy ground blind.