Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-24-2009, 03:53 PM

Default Moving to Alberta

I may have a job in the calgary area next month which means moving to the area. This is pretty close to hunting season and I was wondering what it would take for me to hunt in Alberta this season (ie would I qualify as a resident.etc..) or would I be better off to leave my residency in BC and hunt there this year and move everything over after hunting season?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
I may have a job in the calgary area next month which means moving to the area. This is pretty close to hunting season and I was wondering what it would take for me to hunt in Alberta this season (ie would I qualify as a resident.etc..) or would I be better off to leave my residency in BC and hunt there this year and move everything over after hunting season?
Go here:

https://www.albertarelm.com/

You will need one of three doc.'s for proof of residency, unless you are a member of the CF and eligible to vote in Alberta.

1. Alberta D.L. number.
2. Alberta Health Care number.
3. Passport (Alberta address).

If memory serves me right, I believe that when you change your B.C. address you are obligated to notify the ministry immediately and surrender your Hunter Number card, which invalidates your B.C. hunter number. Then, to hunt back home, except for small game and birds, you need to be accompanied by a qualified resident.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife...opsis_0809.pdf

As soon as you move, get the ball rolling toute de suite!
Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 PM

Thanks for the links. Thats pretty much the info I was looking for.

I am not sure how the move is going to go at this point, might just be a week day thing for me and then come back here for the weekends for a bit anyway. I know about the hunter host here in BC, but that paperwork takes at least 6 weeks to have completed, which puts me out of hunting in BC if I do offically move. I am leaning towards doing the weekend thing for a while, which leaves me good to hunt here...and then use a hunter host in Alberta during the week. Of course all that has to be approved by a higher authority than the gov!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Thanks for the links. Thats pretty much the info I was looking for.

I am not sure how the move is going to go at this point, might just be a week day thing for me and then come back here for the weekends for a bit anyway. I know about the hunter host here in BC, but that paperwork takes at least 6 weeks to have completed, which puts me out of hunting in BC if I do offically move. I am leaning towards doing the weekend thing for a while, which leaves me good to hunt here...and then use a hunter host in Alberta during the week. Of course all that has to be approved by a higher authority than the gov!!
When and if you do move, I think it's $75 for a non-resident small game and bird licence back home. So you can at least do that without waiting. But don't tell the Albertans. They'll be goin' out there killin' off all the gophers.