Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-28-2022, 11:15 AM

Talking Wood Duck Outfitter Recommendations?

Can anyone recommend a good outfitter where I could have a really good chance of shooting a bunch of wood ducks this fall?

I'm open to Manitoba or even Ontario.

I went on a guided hunt last fall in Manitoba with Mitchitoba Outfitters and the operation was a total gong show. More "bait and switch" then I've ever seen in my life. So unfortunately I now need to book another hunt just to get a couple of Woodies for the wall.

I have debated doing a self-guided trip in Manitoba as well, but I think that could be pretty challenging. So I would prefer a guided option if there is somewhere with a high percentage chance of connecting on some.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-28-2022, 07:49 PM

I was listening to mark v Peterson on a podcast. Might be worth looking at book through ones of these larger company’s that vets the guides a bit more. Then you aren’t taking so much of a shot in the dark
Old 03-01-2022, 04:10 PM

You do know there is wood ducks in southwest BC that can be hunted late season offering good odds at nicely colored birds. No guides in the area so it would have to be DIY

There is both private and public land hunting. There is plenty of other species you won’t find well colored too
Old 03-01-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
You do know there is wood ducks in southwest BC that can be hunted late season offering good odds at nicely colored birds. No guides in the area so it would have to be DIY

There is both private and public land hunting. There is plenty of other species you won’t find well colored too

Interesting... I have heard that rumor once before, but not from a super reliable source so I dismissed it. I have also heard there are good numbers on Vancouver Island (in places). But no outfitters anywhere.

Sent you a PM. I am always open to exploring new areas, but at the same time I appreciate how much time a good outfitter can save a guy as well. So a short guided hunt vs. a DIY hunt (that takes 10 days including travel and may or may not pan out at all) has tradeoffs I suppose.
Old 03-01-2022, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseSlammer View Post
Interesting... I have heard that rumor once before, but not from a super reliable source so I dismissed it. I have also heard there are good numbers on Vancouver Island (in places). But no outfitters anywhere.

Sent you a PM. I am always open to exploring new areas, but at the same time I appreciate how much time a good outfitter can save a guy as well. So a short guided hunt vs. a DIY hunt (that takes 10 days including travel and may or may not pan out at all) has tradeoffs I suppose.
DIY is not a sure thing especially if you don’t know the area
Old 03-02-2022, 10:12 PM

If you want a wall worthy bird, your better off going to the states. I know where they hang out in saskatchewan if you want to try and get some yourself but theyre only around in numbers the first couple of weeks of the season. For the price of a guide and flights to Ontario, where you may be able to get some a bit later, you could get pretty birds and have them mounted for the same price. I cant imagine that they would be around in manitoba in any real numbers once October hits
Old 03-03-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifthunter View Post
If you want a wall worthy bird, your better off going to the states. I know where they hang out in saskatchewan if you want to try and get some yourself but theyre only around in numbers the first couple of weeks of the season. For the price of a guide and flights to Ontario, where you may be able to get some a bit later, you could get pretty birds and have them mounted for the same price. I cant imagine that they would be around in manitoba in any real numbers once October hits
Interesting...

I've heard there are pockets of them in Sask, but never seen any myself. When I was chatting with the outfitter in Manitoba last year they said the last week of September was the best chance at them. I was honestly really surprised at the quality of the drakes around Sept 23rd. Pretty crazy!

If you know a spot that holds them and are willing to point me in the right direction that would be amazing. (maybe just send me a PM so it doesn't put a big bullseye on it. Haha)

I currently can't fly to the US, which is one of the reasons I'm trying to get some more local species off the list. Otherwise fair point about heading further South for some late season birds!