Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2022, 07:11 PM

Default Disappointing response

Driving down hiway about 4 miles from home I could smell a ground fire, so I phoned Alberta Wildfire control. They asked where it was and told me to phone the county office. County office said phone the Peace officer. I phone the Peace officer and tried to explain the location was 1/2 mile north of the junction of hiway xxx and hiway yyy, well he named a town 40 miles east. After more explaining on the location he got it. Then he said that was on the county line and he needed his superior officers approval to check it out. I said if it is on the county line if the fire breaks out it will be in your county. He said he will phone back, which he didn`t.
What I expected when I phoned Alberta wildfire is that they would say that they would check it out. It was very dry out then but after last nights snow the danger is past.
Turns out a farmer had lit some brush piles, but Alberta Wildfire did not know that then. I have fought wild fires and know that if you get on it early and not let it get going then have a wind come up, like we have had the last few days.
Brings to mind a military saying SNAFU
Old 11-03-2022, 08:32 AM

Maybe they found out it was a farmer before you did...
Old 11-03-2022, 08:42 AM

We are going to light some brush piles down here soon and Alberta Forestry needs a email letting them know we are lighting them. They probably knew exactly what was going on.