Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Default All around suit?

Just wondering what everyone thinks of which suit I should buy as an all around hunting suit that I can use for early season on the prairies or mountains all the way into late october.

I am a bow hunter that mostly spot and stalks mule deer but will also be going after elk once and awhile and some whitetail hunting with the bow.

Should I get a predator 3D deception or Brown deception suit or should I go with a sitka mothwing mountain mimicry suit?

Any of those suits will have a cotton type pant as well as a heavier wind/water resistant type pant. A long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and a wind/water resistant jacket. They will also both have gloves, a hat, toques, and face mask.

I just want a suit that is all the same camo that will blend in with the areas I hunt the best.

I have been using realtree ap but it is too dark for prairie hunting and I stick out pretty bad.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:16 PM

I like the Cabelas Alaskan guide series stuff...water/wind proof/ warranty/ camo....really good stuff but it's quite $$$.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-30-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:34 PM

The only problem with the guide series from Cabelas is that it collects burrs really bad and we have a ton of burrs down here in the south.

I am constantly belly crawling to try and get in closer so I would be completely covered in burrs real quick.

I do like that cabelas outfitter camo pattern a lot though.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 PM

I have different gear for everything i do but the best ive seen that works for mostly every terrain is ASAT, i watched my cousin sit in a cut canola field and the whitetails that came out were oblivious to him from 8 feet away.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:34 PM

I was checking out that Microtex stuff from Cabela's....seems to be a good all-around gear to buy...and burr-resistant.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 PM

I have an ASAT 3 D leafy suit. Goes over what ever I feel like wearing underneath, shorts in summer or lots of layers in late fall. It does collect burrs a bit but is affordable & versatile. I also have the ASAT pants in First Lite and wear those if I'm worried about burrs or it is a little colder.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 09-30-2014, 10:49 PM

Default Suit

I'll second the asat leafy suit,, I love mine so much that I bought a second one in case they discontinue them
Old 10-01-2014, 12:10 AM

First light merino wool. Layer up as needed, and they have lightweight stuff for early season. ASAT camo pattern is available.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Sitka Ascent Pant and Core Zip T or Merino Zip T. I use this stuff all early season.

I always have my Sitka Traverse hoody and Jetstream jacket in my pack along with the Dewpoint pant and jacket if rain is in the forecast.

Later in the season I throw on IceBreaker base layers and switch to the Timberline pant and add some down insulating layers such as the Sitka Kelvin line. I also trade out the Dewpoint stuff for the Stormfront stuff for blizzard conditions or rough terrain.

Cheers

Mitch
Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 AM
Banned

For Stand Hunting Scent Lok rules!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 AM

I use and love Sitka.

The asat is a great piece of gear, well worth having, but doesn't work well moving through thick cover/spiky stuff. Gotta be ready to stuff it in your pack when the going gets tough.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:48 AM

Default Firstlite

Firstlite camo hands down. Nothing beats merino wool and fistlite's outerwear.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:12 PM

Default Predator

Predator camo might be your answer. Many camo patterns are too dark for the prairies or for late season tree stands. Some Predator patterns have large light coloured areas that look like an empty space. A few years back we laid out an assortment of camo clothes on some bushes and backed off a couple hundred yards to have a look. The Predator camo was the best at blending in. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you never would have seen it. Some of the big name camo patterns looked like a dark blob.

Brown deception and fall grey work well, with fall grey being my overall favorite. I'm a prairie bowhunter and have used Predator for a long time.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/patterns-page

I'm pretty sure the Canadian distributor is in Lethbridge. You used to be able to buy from him.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Just wondering what everyone thinks of which suit I should buy as an all around hunting suit that I can use for early season on the prairies or mountains all the way into late october.

I am a bow hunter that mostly spot and stalks mule deer but will also be going after elk once and awhile and some whitetail hunting with the bow.

Should I get a predator 3D deception or Brown deception suit or should I go with a sitka mothwing mountain mimicry suit?

Any of those suits will have a cotton type pant as well as a heavier wind/water resistant type pant. A long sleeve shirt, hoodie, and a wind/water resistant jacket. They will also both have gloves, a hat, toques, and face mask.

I just want a suit that is all the same camo that will blend in with the areas I hunt the best.

I have been using realtree ap but it is too dark for prairie hunting and I stick out pretty bad.
This will work and keep you warm if damp - then just hunt downwind. Nothing beats wool, make sure your suit has it or your skin/mid layers.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Predator camo might be your answer. Many camo patterns are too dark for the prairies or for late season tree stands. Some Predator patterns have large light coloured areas that look like an empty space. A few years back we laid out an assortment of camo clothes on some bushes and backed off a couple hundred yards to have a look. The Predator camo was the best at blending in. If you didn't know what you were looking for, you never would have seen it. Some of the big name camo patterns looked like a dark blob.

Brown deception and fall grey work well, with fall grey being my overall favorite. I'm a prairie bowhunter and have used Predator for a long time.

http://www.predatorcamo.com/patterns-page

I'm pretty sure the Canadian distributor is in Lethbridge. You used to be able to buy from him.
ya dennis and cheryl are from lethbridge and lane archery sells predator. That is why i am looking into predator.

i am thinking the high plains suit with a pair of cotton 6 pocket pants. A hoodie. Long sleeve cotton shirt. Face mask. Toque. Hat. And gloves should do the trick.

the high plains suit only comes in deception 3d or brown deception so i am pretty sure i will end up with the brown deception if i go with predator gear.