Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM

Default Muzzleloader Advice...

I seriously thinking about trying out the muzzleloader experience. I'm not that keen on a 'front stuffer' traditional type blackpowder firearm, something in one of the newer models is what I've in mind.
I was looking online at the Traditions Pursuit LT Breakdown...any comments on this firearm, or other similar muzzleloaders would be appreciated.
Thanks guys...
Old 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM

If you dont want traditional, I like the Savage. I dont really like savage as a make, but their muzzle loader has some nice features. The coolest one being it can shoot smokeless powder instead of black. Also, it comes with a decent trigger, and is available in stainless. But it sure isnt a traditional front stuffer.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

As the muzzleloader term says they are all front stuffers and all have the same loading and cleaning hassles, whether traditional looking or not.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetski View Post
As the muzzleloader term says they are all front stuffers and all have the same loading and cleaning hassles, whether traditional looking or not.

Not necessarily, most of the inlines are designed to utilize some of the new non-fouling blackpowder substitutes where the traditional guns aren't. But if you use BP or the non clean burning substitutes then you must clean both but many of the new in-lines simplify that with a removeable breech plug.

As for what muzzleloader, I think the Omega is hard to beat for performance and vakue.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 PM

Ill be back in red deer on the 20th.. im bringing my muzzleloader back with me.. if your close by and want to touch off some rounds id be more than willing to meet you at the range north of town. Ive got a cva optima,, its an inline.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 AM

I have the Omega and Triumph and both are super accurate. I prefer the Triumph for a number of reasons: much easier to clean, easier to prime because of the break-open feature and the trigger guard is larger making it easier for big hands or if you have gloves on. The new style breech plug is removable by hand but some find the need to use the supplied wrench, I don't. I clean between shots at the range and even after my shooting session is done, the breech plug threads are still pretty much clean. With the Omega, the plug is coated with burnt powder from all the blowback.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:40 AM

IMO, there is no other muzzleloader to buy than the Savage. Clean once a season, use smokeless powder, and 21-2200 fps with a 290gr. bullet. MOA easily.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

*Rumor* has it that slumping sales of the Savage may bring about it being dropped from the line. Same sources told me that sales of the Savage haven't topped 50,000 units yet in the 8 years of production. T/C, Knight, Traditions and CVA has purportedly sold over 1.5 million smokers in the same period just for comparison. A great rifle but the smokeless concept hasn't been embraced by the community. The rifle is probably hurt by the fact that it does smokeless powder well but doesn't perform as well as other makes with conventional powders.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
IMO, there is no other muzzleloader to buy than the Savage. Clean once a season, use smokeless powder, and 21-2200 fps with a 290gr. bullet. MOA easily.

I have a Savage 10ml too but I'm not allowed to use smokeless in my state. If you can use smokeless, than by all means get the 10ml
Old 08-07-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM59 View Post
I have a Savage 10ml too but I'm not allowed to use smokeless in my state. If you can use smokeless, than by all means get the 10ml
That is most likely why the sales reportedly are not near as high as other brands. Many states restrict you to using black powder, or black powder substitutes. But for us here in Canada, why not use smokeless if you can?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pockets View Post
That is most likely why the sales reportedly are not near as high as other brands. Many states restrict you to using black powder, or black powder substitutes. But for us here in Canada, why not use smokeless if you can?
I'm not against the use of smokeless but if I'm shooting a muzzleloader, I want to see and smell smoke....it's all part of the experience of shooting a muzzleloader for me. If I want a gun just to go bang, I have lots of centrefires for that. Savage is a decent gun with smokeless and a marginal gun with bp or substitutes from what I've seen. Personally, I find it a bit boring but each to their own.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanks guys...
Too much 'stuff' going on to make it sound like fun, I'll have to think about wheather this 'black powder' thing is something I actually want to pursue.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:48 PM

Default muzzel loader

hey ex811,thats exactly the point.Theres lots of stuff going on thats why we love it.If your not sure ,find someone with a smokepole and go shoot i think you will get hooked