Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Default another computer question

i need some advice on a problem with my comp starting back up a couple minutes after i shut it down (using the start,shut computer off menu)it just started doing this a week or two ago .ive checked a bunch of times for viruses and cleared the spyware off and its still doing this.any advice or links to some good comp forums would be appreciated .and for those that helped me with the email problem ,thanks ,it is as complicated as u said.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howlin View Post
i need some advice on a problem with my comp starting back up a couple minutes after i shut it down (using the start,shut computer off menu)it just started doing this a week or two ago .ive checked a bunch of times for viruses and cleared the spyware off and its still doing this.any advice or links to some good comp forums would be appreciated .and for those that helped me with the email problem ,thanks ,it is as complicated as u said.
That's why I like to shut the power bar off when I'm done.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:42 PM

im doing that now but i never needed to before.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Banned

I got tired of the problems with Windows and the increasing resources it seemed to require over time.

I switched to Ubuntu almost 2 years ago now. No crashes, computer is faster, no viruses (although theoretically one can get them), and most software is free and as good as or better then MS stuff.

The only reason I even kept Windows on my computer and dual boot is that there is one particular program I need for work that does not yet have a Ubuntu/Linux equivalent.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Has nothing to do with Microsoft, and Ubuntu isn't for everyone unless you are a experienced computer person. Not a solution to the problem!

Without knowing the hardware makeup of your PC, my first thoughts are BIOS settings. Need to check all wake on lan, wake on keyboard, wake on ring, etc in the bios. That would be where I start.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Has nothing to do with Microsoft, and Ubuntu isn't for everyone unless you are a experienced computer person. Not a solution to the problem!

Without knowing the hardware makeup of your PC, my first thoughts are BIOS settings. Need to check all wake on lan, wake on keyboard, wake on ring, etc in the bios. That would be where I start.
X2
Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM

howlin, what anti virus/spiware program are you using and is it up to date?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Also reboot into safe mode and see if it does the same thing.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM

Actually, can you check to see if there are any pending updates waiting to happen?
Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM

All of that doesn't matter. This is NOT software related. When you turn a computer off and it shuts off and then comes on again has nothing to do with software. Because no software is running!
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Will the wake on settings in Bios turn it on from shut off?? I didnt think so just from hibernation.

Anyways, sometimes this will happen if there is an update which has not completed without a reboot. Have you updated or installed anything new recently? Sometimes until the install/update is complete you will end up in this loop. If it is having problems this way try a restore from a point before it started happening.

If this doesn't work you can attempt to find it in taskmanager and end the process. Sometimes difficult to find in there though.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 will all "wake up" to do updates. But if your sure it's not software then look at your BIOS for auto wake up feature. Some PCs have this. I'd try a BIOS update. If not then some defective hardware I would guess.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:19 PM

How do you normally shut down your computer? Via the "Start"..."shutdown" icons? You can actually change the default "shutdown" to "restart" in a drop down menu. It will then stay with that setting. When shutting down via "Start"...."shutdown" make sure that it says "shutdown" in the window, not "restart".
Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellydoc View Post
Will the wake on settings in Bios turn it on from shut off?? I didnt think so just from hibernation.

Anyways, sometimes this will happen if there is an update which has not completed without a reboot. Have you updated or installed anything new recently? Sometimes until the install/update is complete you will end up in this loop. If it is having problems this way try a restore from a point before it started happening.

If this doesn't work you can attempt to find it in taskmanager and end the process. Sometimes difficult to find in there though.
Hellydoc your right, it would wake it up from hibernate but not actual shutdown. I'm in IT myself so I spoke to some of my help desk buddies, according to them it's probably a BIOS wake on LAN or wake on keyboard setting like nicemustang suggested.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Mine does the same , go to start and hit turn off computer, then shutdown windows (not restart) and 7 times out of 10 it will say savings settings, windows is shutting down, blah blah and it shuts off, screen goes black for a second and fires right back up. this has been going on for a few months so when I want to shut it down I just pull the plug out of the wall. It shuts down right now and dosen't turn back on till I plug it back in. Computer repair man looked at it, just shakes his head , he can't figure it out.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
How do you normally shut down your computer? Via the "Start"..."shutdown" icons? You can actually change the default "shutdown" to "restart" in a drop down menu. It will then stay with that setting. When shutting down via "Start"...."shutdown" make sure that it says "shutdown" in the window, not "restart".
how do you do that ?thanks for the tips guys im still working on it and everyones tips help out.how do you find that bios setting?
Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM

Default It's not A Virus

It's a Trojan, had the same problem, running Windows 7 Pro, installed Spybot, ran it, found 17 issues...cleaned them, no more problems....
Old 02-04-2011, 09:59 AM

To get into the BIOS you usually get prompted during boot up to either press "F12" key or maybe the "Delete" key to enter the setup. But I'd try ABCowboys suggestion first.