Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 AM

Default Alberta Health Care

So I slipped on some ice and hurt my wrist. Went for an xray at the walk in clinic. Aparrently there was no one to look at it at the time so they sent me home saying someone would call the next day of there was a break. Next day no call so I figured it was just bruies and sprained. Went back to work and dealt with the pain. FOUR days later I get a call saying I have a fracture and they would like to put a cast on it. Does it really take this long to look at an xray? No wonder it takes so long for someone to get in for surgery if this is how long it takes to llok at a xray.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 AM

unfortunately someone screwed up.

Sorry to hear that.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 AM

We always hear the bad stories hope so you heal fast. I just had my gall bladder out cant say enough how good care i got from the nurses and docs
Old 02-04-2011, 07:05 AM

Where did you go? I've gone to a walk in in Calgary and found it to be pretty bad. I go to the Okotok's Urgent care center (As it's closer now) and they are awesome there. If you are in pain they get to you right away.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:14 AM

Default emergency service

I have driven to Banf mineral spring hospital once to get stitches, and they told me it was common practice for people to do so. I now live in Crossfield, so I drive to Didsbury if I need stitches or broken wrist or other "not so emergencies"
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
Where did you go? I've gone to a walk in in Calgary and found it to be pretty bad. I go to the Okotok's Urgent care center (As it's closer now) and they are awesome there. If you are in pain they get to you right away.
I was at Airdrie Urgent Care. It is only a small fracture but it could have gotten worse over the four days I was working
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Last sept at work i fell and smashed my leg and ankle so off to the docs we go.Xrayed and doc says bad sprain and stay off it for a week and then go back to work.Following week its worse so back i go and same doc orders another xray and again says its a bad sprain and take another week off work.This goes on three more times over 6 weeks before WCB orders a bone scan and sure enough broken Tibia,fibia and ankle.Mri shows a one inch squared piece of leg bone floating in my ankle and i am finally in rehab learning to walk again 5 months later.
Next time i get hurt i would rather go visit my dogs vet.
I dont even want to get going about WCB as that was the worst experiance of all of this.
Hope you heal well and if something dont seem right fight them until you get the service you need.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Wow gramps. After reading your story, I am just going to shut up. Hope you are doing better
Old 02-04-2011, 02:23 PM

Lots of info floating around, I guess as long as we are human, we would like to share our negative experiences.

I suggest that we abolish the medical system, I mean if you look at all the booboo's they make, the number of people they kill, broken bones missed, trying to kill people with fluoride, etc. I vote to take the medical system away, that way they cannot make any mistakes, and more people will stay alive. I must admit, I must have had at least 50 close calls dealing with the medical system with my family having x-ray's, scans, consults and surgeries. Thank goodness we weren't killed or maimed for life, we must have been extremely lucky in comparison with all the unfortunate folk on this website. Before I forget Gramps, when you get your chest pain/heart attack, remember to see your vet at 3am. I am sure the bill will make you happy. By the way, what was your medical bill? Enormous? I mean you get what you pay for?

Before I forget, that goes for the RCMP too, get rid of them, they just beat up innocent people, no good ever come from them.

Please disregard my rant above, and I ask forgiveness for any perceived rudeness, but never for being politically incorrect.-I guess I just had it with the negative posts by perfect people who seemingly never make mistakes-none in any way that will find it's way onto this forum....
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1971 View Post
Lots of info floating around, I guess as long as we are human, we would like to share our negative experiences.

I suggest that we abolish the medical system, I mean if you look at all the booboo's they make, the number of people they kill, broken bones missed, trying to kill people with fluoride, etc. I vote to take the medical system away, that way they cannot make any mistakes, and more people will stay alive. I must admit, I must have had at least 50 close calls dealing with the medical system with my family having x-ray's, scans, consults and surgeries. Thank goodness we weren't killed or maimed for life, we must have been extremely lucky in comparison with all the unfortunate folk on this website. Before I forget Gramps, when you get your chest pain/heart attack, remember to see your vet at 3am. I am sure the bill will make you happy. By the way, what was your medical bill? Enormous? I mean you get what you pay for?

Before I forget, that goes for the RCMP too, get rid of them, they just beat up innocent people, no good ever come from them.

Please disregard my rant above, and I ask forgiveness for any perceived rudeness, but never for being politically incorrect.-I guess I just had it with the negative posts by perfect people who seemingly never make mistakes-none in any way that will find it's way onto this forum....
Do you really want to know what the misdiagnosis cost me?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Facts: Our medical system kills more people in a year than all the civilian use of firearms in the last century. May be inherent to the line of work, but...
We pay for them to be there when we need them, so yes - we are unhappy when we are not treated appropriately.

Funny thing, all of us can complain when our Remington rifle does not work, but are detractors if we say something about the medical system.
This nihilistic approach does not befit someone that said that if one is in the ER for more than 4 hours, they do not belong there.

So what is an acceptable waiting time? 3 hrs 58min? A congregation of well intended individuals, professionally capable nevertheless, do not make a Health Care system that works. The sum of all parts does not amount to that.

We are not dealing with flower arrangements here, but with people's health. "Just a mistake" or "overlooked" doesn't cut it. I respect you profession, but you are wrong in your post.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor1971 View Post

you must work in the health care field