Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 AM

Default Aqua Vu scout problem

I was out at calling lake a while back and I would try and put the camera down ...25' and about half way down you would see nothing....at all not even mud moving by the lens I thought this was wierd because calling is supper clear and visability has always been good (this was its first time out in 08)

so not last weekend but the one prior we were out at slave and was able to set the camera up in the middle of the day at like 20'. With little action I shut the camera off to preseve batteries and then when I went and turned it back on it was blank just like at calling WTF so I pulled the camea back up and at about half way you could see again.

I really have no clue whats going on and am at the point where its time to get a new camera, however if this is fixable I still like the camera.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
MIke
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 AM

They need light under the ice to see in deeper water ours not the greatest and if there snow cover it efects it also. Couldnt see anything at travers on sat not sure why.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 AM

Hey Mike.

That is a bit strange. Sounds like either it does not have enough light or it is flaking out. If you thinking of making a switch I can recommend Marcum.....man....I feel like I am a marketer for them
I switched this year and I am completely satisfied. The underwater lights can see in any water condition or time of day.

http://www.marcumtech.com/

I have the 560.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:11 PM

Cujo yes I would have thought the same but it was working at slave and it didnt get any darker ....even after dark and I turned on the IR I couldnt see a thing not even particulate.
Snap ...I was already looking at the cameras from marcum ...thinking 820

Thanks
Old 02-04-2008, 07:13 PM

Hmmmm maybe have to try mine agian does it work fine outta the water?
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM

Default battery level????

How is the battery levels? Check any voltage? does it hold a charge? I find if my battery is going dead the screen will get very dark, then if the battary is really dead it'll just scramble. My battery went to the ****s when i didnt charge it since last year. Those battarys are best charged every 3 months and between chargins drained completly. Conection on back good? try pushing on the contrast or wiggling it, soldrd connections could be screwy if camera is wet alot.

Last edited by lgu5; 02-04-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 PM

I had two Batteries and it would work about Half way up and above water....maybe its a pressure thing?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:00 PM

Same thing with our camera, works on top of water then like you say part way down dont work. We bought new battery thinking that was it. Not the case.we bought ours last christmas and the problems started first time out in 08 as well.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Interesting, mine was doing that the other day it would work for a bit then the thing would just scramble on the screen and go black. I thought it was the battery as well, I was going to hook it to a deep cycle marine battery and try that but maybe this isn't the problem.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:31 AM

Had that problem with my camera last year, it steadliy got worse. it ended up the cable was broke and by moving the camera it would work again. Had to replace the camera. Mine works good in 60' of water.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 AM

im having the same problem,my camera wont even turn on,i even bought 2 new batterys and still nothing,is there anywhere that repairs aqua vu cameras
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 AM

Yes there is. The Reel Doctor repairs AquaView and does a great job of it. They are a small shop but very friendly and helpful. I'll bet AquaView keeps them in business

Web site links is http://www.reeldr.com/
Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

Could very well be a lighting issue. The Aqua vu scout has an inherent fault with the potentiometer for the IR light. Meaning, it burns out and your IR lights won't come one. The potentiometer is soldered to a printed circuit board that functions the other dials and power switch.
I would suggest bringing this to the Reel doctor in Edmonton.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Scout issues

I have a scout. It sits on a shelf. It started to go fubar just after the warranty went up. I found that wiggling the contrast dial made it function sometimes. Also keeping the camera warm in the truck made a large difference. I'd leave it running because i found if i turned it off it sometimes it didn't work when i turned it back on. I was fed up with the machine so i tried some electronic cleaning spray. Now it doesn't work at all lol just a white line down the center of the screen. A friend went through the same with his scout. Had to wiggle the contrast dial. Then one day it was just a white line on the screen. Needless to say i have purchased a marcum and havnt looked back.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM

Default Do you want to sell it?

I would buy that one just for the parts if you want.