Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Default Shurburns Lake Boat Launch Closure

St.Mary River Irrigation District has announced they will be closing all uncontrolled boat launches. In the battle to control zebra mussels. Not sure what other ones are effected but Sideburns is one of them. There want user groups to figure out a way for inspections to happen at these boat launches. I can see $50 launch fees coming.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2017, 03:14 PM

SMRID?? thats basically every lake in southern alberta to the west
Old 06-07-2017, 03:19 PM

Where is Sideburns lake?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Okay just called smrid, she said all existing public boat lanches are fine, its for launches unregulated or unapproved launches example she used was a land ower making his own launch.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Where is Sideburns lake?
Think he ment surburne
Old 06-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcodh View Post
Okay just called smrid, she said all existing public boat lanches are fine, its for launches unregulated or unapproved launches example she used was a land ower making his own launch.
So what difference does the launch make? They have people checking boats at the launch? Sounds like a money grab, again.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-07-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Shurburn is an unregulated launch.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
SMRID?? thats basically every lake in southern alberta to the west
Pretty much ever thing south of the Oldman River. The Bow River Irrigation District B.R.I.D are not taking any action yet.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
So what difference does the launch make? They have people checking boats at the launch? Sounds like a money grab, again.
This is going to cost somebody big money. You might be able to get financial help from the local government our the fish and game clubs. But the most will come from users.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:02 PM

So I'm guessing nobody launches till the Provincial people get there in the AM.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-12-2017, 11:06 AM

I phoned the SMRID and got the story from the horses mouth so to speak. Shereburn is effectively closed to boats for the moment. SMRID is hoping and waiting for a service club to take over the moderating of the boat launch. Till then no boats. Lakes that have a campground, "Rattlesnake" will be monitored through the campground launch all others will be closed. So one launch at each lake and you follow their hours. Sadly this will be the new reality facing Albertan's for Zebra Mussels. I can see other irrigation districts following.

Heard a story on my walk yesterday. Saskatchewan Landing PP on Lake Deifenbaker. A man from Ontario was trying to launch a boat that was covered in Zebra mussels. By standers blocked him from the lake after a heated exchange and F&W had to be called in. The stupidity of some is overwhelming at times.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-12-2017, 07:32 PM

That is ridiculous and sucks. Sherburne was one of the few lakes around that you could launch a boat at for free. Back to paying 15 bucks a launch at rattlesnake or forty mile now i guess.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2017, 08:51 PM

I launched my boat there this past Sunday. When did this take effect? I saw no signs???
Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Think he ment surburne
I looked up Surburne,Sideburns and Shurbuns ! No luck !

Last edited by Habfan; 06-12-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Not needed spelling insults
Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
I looked up Surburne,Sideburns and Shurbuns ! No luck !
Try Sherburne

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolanr View Post
I launched my boat there this past Sunday. When did this take effect? I saw no signs???
The fellow I spoke with gave me the impression the launch was bocked off.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-13-2017, 11:27 AM

So now the question is what about St. Mary Res While there is a campground most use the launch outside of that and it is not regulated as far as I know. That mean you have to go into the camp ground and start forking over some bucks?
Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM

So once the Zebra Mussels get into a lake then we should be back to free launches anytime anywhere. I wonder what the odds are of Mussels showing up in a lake where the Gov is charging to launch?!

Dodger
Old 06-13-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
The fellow I spoke with gave me the impression the launch was bocked off.
I was by there Monday June 12 and the launch is not blocked. But the people that camp there all year (for free) all had their boats out of the water. There was a S.M.R.I.D. sign up at the launch. Not sure what it said.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
So once the Zebra Mussels get into a lake then we should be back to free launches anytime anywhere. I wonder what the odds are of Mussels showing up in a lake where the Gov is charging to launch?!

Dodger
Lets talk positively about this. We never want mussels in our waterways. SMRID is taking action in addition to provincial efforts. The GoA is not charging any boat to launch in AB. Mussels in AB reservoirs would be disastrous for irrigation, power generation and recreation.

http://www.smrid.com/successful-water-startup/
Old 06-14-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Lets talk positively about this. We never want mussels in our waterways. SMRID is taking action in addition to provincial efforts. The GoA is not charging any boat to launch in AB. Mussels in AB reservoirs would be disastrous for irrigation, power generation and recreation.

Agreed and I'm an avid boater. Short term pain for long term gain.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

I agree with you to an extent. Problem is if they start closing down all the little boat launches, and we can use only government made launches during there hours of operation, and then whatever "tax" they want to charge to use the launch. You will still see the spread of Mussels into these lakes. Between hip waders, canoes, water toys, etc. they will not be able to stop it.

All that said - I am just getting tired of user fee's/taxes being thrown around instead of education and enforcement.

Dodger.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:14 PM

The barricades went up today(Thursday) and a sign that says the lake is closed for use.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
The barricades went up today(Thursday) and a sign that says the lake is closed for use.
Sad day for all of us in the SE.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Sad day for all of us in the SE.
Yes. There is no going back now.

Dodger.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:25 PM

Wonder if they know something the rest of us dont?

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 PM

I dont want to see these either but can we reallt stop them? Boats, birds, natural water flow I doubt it. Do what we can but outside of education and clean the boats it dont matter nature will do what it wants.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:20 PM
Banned

If sherburne has them the hole system has them right from Waterton threw the south Saskatchewan
Old 06-19-2017, 08:46 PM

There is a sign st the gate that suggests an idea for some organization to take over the launch an that only members of said origanization have access to the launch. WHAT? The most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. Turning the whole lake into a privately owned fishery? How much is this going to cost in the end?

There must be a better solution to this. Boats are not the only issue. What about migrating ducks and geese. Why single out the lake almost dead centre of the SMRID system. Saint Mary's gets a lot of traffic from the U S and B C, who's inspecting their boats. There is nobody at the launch there.

I don't pretend that I have an answer but this has not been thought through. Knee jerk reaction at best. Sad day here in the south!!
Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 AM
Banned

U bet there something going on down here. The sad part is nobody has any answers There's nobody inspecting at any docking locations, 40 mile has none chin has none st.marys has none the oldman river has none.