Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2010, 04:02 PM

Default Sharpening Systems

I'm sure there are other threads on this but....

Between seasons is the best time for maintenance. Been considering getting a new knife sharpening system.

Choices are: Spyderco, Lansky, and Edge Pro Apex.

Price is not the main consideration.

Anybody used any (or all) of these systems that would care to offer an opinion.

I know, I know....a "real" outdoorsman would have learned this at his daddy's knee and would use a plain or oiled stone to give his knives the perfect edge. But I did'nt and would like to try a system that guides the stone or knife rather than trying to hold the perfect angle myself.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Gone Hunting

I would advise that you try a Monocyristalline bench stone from Lee Valley.

It cuts faster then any other stone and it will never wear out.
No lubricant is required, no setup, and no special tecneque.

If you are set one the three you listed. I can't offer any advise as I have not used any of them.

I switched to diamonds befor such things entered the market.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:37 PM

I've got the Lansky system and really like it.

Only thing I would have done differently is get the diamond stones instead of the regular ones. My hunting knives are very sharp and my butchering knives are razor sharp. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the pressure right but knowing that your angle is always right is nice.

Now, that being said I recently saw a system that was similar but had the rods permanently attached to the stones but I don't recall who made them at the moment.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:10 PM

Default Good advice

Thanks guys,

I was trying to figure out the difference between stone and diamond. Thus far I found durability to be the biggest advantage of diamond.

Keg, I'm not set on any particular system....yet. The ones I posted are just the most popular/recommended that I could find on-line.

But when it comes to gear, I always ask the question here to get a real world opinion before I buy.

Thanks for the replies. And keep them coming.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slannesh View Post
I've got the Lansky system and really like it.

Only thing I would have done differently is get the diamond stones instead of the regular ones. My hunting knives are very sharp and my butchering knives are razor sharp. It takes a bit of fiddling to get the pressure right but knowing that your angle is always right is nice.

Now, that being said I recently saw a system that was similar but had the rods permanently attached to the stones but I don't recall who made them at the moment.
X2 on the diamond Lansky set. I've been using Lansky sharpeners for over 20 years, wore out 2 sets of stones and am on my second set of diamonds. I use a very fine steel to finish the edge The set you are thinking of slannesh is called Gatco . I prefer the Lansky because you can get replacement stones and parts easily.

Leo
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM

I retired the Lansky and got a Chef's Choice 3 stage electric jobby.
I like it.
I found the Lansky was good but if you got a knife that doesn't have a good edge to work with then you'll be stroking forever to get an edge on it.
If your interested in the Lansky you can have mine for cheap...
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Gone Hunting

If you like the Lansky system, the diamond stones with a Lansky might be a dynamite combination.

There are a number of advantages to diamond, besides durability.
One is they will sharpen the hardest steel, they can even sharpen Carbide.
Another advantage is they stay flat. That allows them to be used to true up planer blades and chisels. As well as sharpen them.

The no lubrication is nice but other systems offer that as well.
Expense is a bit of a negative. For instance, my present stone is a DMT 2"x6" 600 grit. It cost me $ 52.50 + gst.

I am about to buy a two sided 4"x10" DMT stone with 600 and 1200 grits.
And a 220 grit 2x6 for roughing in blades. The 600 is a bit slow.
That whole package will cost me just under $200.00, but it will last me the rest of my life. And it will sharpen anything.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:08 PM

Have a look at Worksharpe sportsman pckge, We use a larger version that we had made up. This is fast and accurate, the Lansky is great for getting a good edge but takes time to get it right. For long or odd shaped blades go with a belt system..
Old 12-29-2010, 09:05 AM

Default Worksharpe

Thanks Kodiak,

This is why I post questions on this board, you get information on stuff you did not even know exists.

Neat looking system. Where can you buy in Canada, I only see it being available in the U.S. from the Worksharpe website.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:57 AM

I use the japanese water stones from leevalley with a honing guide. Simple inexpensive and gives a very sharp edge that lasts.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Default Honing Guides

CC,

Where do you get the honing guides, same place?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 PM

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...56&cat=1,43072

Knife Honing guide from Lee Valley.

Looking at that and the water stones I might have to look at upgrading
Old 12-30-2010, 03:15 PM

Default Sharpening System Bought

Thanks for all the assistance.

Went out today and laid out $100 and change for the Lansky Deluxe Diamond Kit. Added the metal stand.

Cheers
Old 12-30-2010, 07:01 PM

Those water stones do a nice job, and i do it right on the kitchen counter with minimal mess.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 AM

have a look at this one, pretty cool

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

never tried it myself, but it looks to be very effective
Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 827rotax View Post
have a look at this one, pretty cool

http://www.wickededgeusa.com/

never tried it myself, but it looks to be very effective
Wow that is the best system i have seen. Love it everything about it except the price.lol
Old 12-31-2010, 03:10 PM

x2 on the wicked edge i have got one it is deffanitly worth the money
Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM

I've been using the Edge Pro for several years now.There is a learning curve but once you are used to it gives spectacular results on D2 and S30v steel. Monashee
Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 PM

I have the Gatco diamond set,and I much prefer it to the Lansky set.I haven't tried the other two sets that the OP mentioned.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 PM

Wink Use a ceramic cup!

Video ... http://www.metacafe.com/watch/103865...ife_using_cup/

... I just couldn't resist

Apologies to Sputnik and All,

TF
Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 PM

i own the Spyderco "sharpmaker" and its the cats ass! i highly recommend it, worth the money takes a bit to get use to but yeah.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:12 PM
Banned

I have a lanskey sharpener I could sell you. Personaly I can get a knife about as sharp with a cheap Arkansas stone and a few swipes on a coffee cup to finish it off, like Trigger there posted, as I can with anything else. The Lanskey is a good system if you are too impatiant or ham fisted to learn to use stone and steel or if you like to wait untill your knives are about as sharp on the cutting side as they are on the back side before you sharpen them again rather than perform regular maintenence. Like I said, I'd let mine go for about $20.

Last edited by Cal; 01-01-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Gone Hunting

Here's what I use. Works great and very scary sharp.

http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/paper.htm

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-01-2011, 09:13 PM

I like my Lansky, but I also use a steel just about every time I put a knife away, to maintain the edge.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:24 AM

I bought the Lansky system, but found that it is very intricate and the screw doesnt hold down a thicker blade very well. It is kinda finicky for angles and the blade guide hitting the screws. I went back to a simple stone and got the edge very close.

Anyone know if there are classes that you can take for knife sharpening anywhere?
Old 01-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Lanskys take forever to get a good edge.

That is why electricity was added to knife sharpening a very long time ago.

Go to Canadian Tire and buy a low RPM electric wet stone. It has a slow turning stone that rotates thru a water reservoir. Hold the knife down releatively flat, grind evenly on each side a little at a time til the knife feathers, then get your steel out and take the feather off the knife, and there you go, a very sharp knife.

There are many faster knife sharpeners out there, but I am unsure as to which one works best. The slow one from Canadian tire will never burn your blade as the fast RPM sharpeners can sometimes do.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 AM

Thumbs up Seek and Ye shall find!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
I bought the Lansky system, but found that it is very intricate and the screw doesnt hold down a thicker blade very well. It is kinda finicky for angles and the blade guide hitting the screws. I went back to a simple stone and got the edge very close.

Anyone know if there are classes that you can take for knife sharpening anywhere?
Not the first time that ^ has been asked here on this forum. I'm not so sure you need to go to 'classes' to learn this ... there is enough information on the internet about this subject to choke a horse

One of many examples; http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=h...f023fa88c5b3eb

TF
Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM

Default Belt Grinder

I've used lots of knife sharening systems over the years but never found them that easy or effective to work with, that is until now. I just bought a 1"x42" belt grinder from Viel tools. Lee Valley sells them as well. Also picked up an assortment of various grit belts and a leather belt with green compound. Its all freehand but you get the knack pretty quick. Its puts a shave sharp convex edge on any knife in a matter of minutes. Even did an meat cleaver this afternoon and it now shaves hair. Lots of video on youtube to see how it works. Best $200 I've ever spent
Old 01-31-2011, 06:08 AM

by a decent oil stone & decent fine steel and fly at it. it does not take very long to learn how to sharpen a knife, plus a small stone is easy to take with you on a hunting trip. I pesonaly carry a flat steel made by old timer it come in a leather case that goes on your belt. I can even sharpen a realy dull knife with it but that takes some time but for touch ups from dull to razor sharp aruond 10 strokes on each side I paid around $10 dollars for mine about 30years ago
Old 02-01-2011, 10:24 PM

I talked earlier about the worksharp system, you can buy the adapter kit at Rona, it is made by the same people that make the Drill Dr. It is an adapter that turns the regular ws2000 sharpening system ( it allows you to sharpen tools ) into a really cool knife sharpener. If you have a steady hand you can always use a Delta 1x30" belt sander and get belts at Lee Valley that are in 600 grit or even as high as 1200. Works great but no guide, I'd make one out of Maple hard wood (guide that is ) and save the grief.