Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
I agree that Alberta tag system isn't ideal. We used to pack duct tape to protect the tag. Now if you want a tag model to follow, I would look at BC. No tags on any part of the animal. You just notch your paper tag and put it back in your pack.
Which is perfect.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-11-2017, 07:34 AM

Manitoba also has head,hide and meat tags. Last year when I hunted Mississippi it was the best. No deer tags at all. Honor system and not suppose to shoot more than one deer per day!
Old 12-11-2017, 03:00 PM

Default Tags

I like the three tag system no way of reusing or loosing a tag
Old 12-11-2017, 05:01 PM

A lot of the animals we shoot get processed the gutless method. And I agree 100%. It makes for a lot more work, 1 extra heavy quarter, and an increased risk of some spoiled meat. If somebody would take the initiative to to start a petition, or even if one of the large groups (Rod and Gun clubs, or Alberta Bowhunters Association) would adopt this as a priority policy amendment advocation, I would definitely support that.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2017, 05:57 PM

I did a gutless bone out on my elk this October. Had a decent pack out by myself, and after trying to lift the pack with a bone in quarter, I realized i was going to need to do something else.

Pretty sure I was able to keep it all legal, but it was a pain. I've seen the tags from some of the western states (and even used one, though it was on a turkey), and they are usually notched and then taped or zip-tied onto the antler (or leg or wherever depending on species). Seems like this would work here too. Wouldn't even need to change the tags, just add it to the rules that this is an option. Can still use the wires if you shoot whole deer or feel no need to change. Seems to me like its pretty obvious that there should be 4 quarters with the antlers, or 4 quarters for an antlerless tag, plus evidence of sex attached, since people could shoot bulls or bucks and leave the heads behind if they had an anterless tag. The tail for deer makes sense, since muley/whitetail mix-ups do happen and people could try to cover it up. But keeping the tail or scrotum isn't really the issue for me. Its just where the tag is, and that it is so tough to get the bone out with that tag in the tendon.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:33 PM

You can actually leave the tendon and tag intact, and debone the hip keeping the proof of sex on, you can either remove the upper leg bone with a knife or use a saw to cut a bit further down...satisfying the letter of the law AND making the load a bit lighter.

LC