Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 PM

Default Calling coyotes. Whats working whats not?

Thought i would start a thread dedicated to just calling coyotes on whats working whats not. I have only been out a couple times so far this year and havent had much luck with rabbit distress calls. The only coyote i have called in this season was called in using a coyote pup distress.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:48 PM

If the call isn't working switch it up. This year I have called em in with a variety of rabbit distress ranging from squeaky baby cotton tail to loud raspy jackrabbit in both hand and Ecall. I find the Randy Anderson 3 step approach to work well for me. 1. Howling 2. distress 3. Pup distress. Depending on what I'm feeling I will often substitute the howling with a different distress.
Work hard on your approach to the stand and properly utilising the wind. Fidgeting on stand and taking to long to setup or the wrong approach has burned me way more than wrong sounds ever has.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Howls
Old 12-11-2017, 05:48 PM

If you can find the boarder between the territory of 2 groups of yotes, if you put up a challenge howl for a bit, and then a pup in distress, you can often times get a few for the price of one...
Old 12-11-2017, 06:25 PM

Coyote vocals are producing 2-1 for me lately. I echo the previous sentiments regarding approach being more of a determining factor than sounds used. Challenges spaced a few minutes apart followed by some pup distress 8-10 minutes after was my money series a couple days ago.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:06 PM

When using E callers how far are you guys putting the speaker from you. I usually try to have it at least 50 yards away.
Old 12-11-2017, 07:50 PM

No further than an arms length,seriously.I have three different Foxpros with remotes and have no need to use the remote in the terrain I call.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
When using E callers how far are you guys putting the speaker from you. I usually try to have it at least 50 yards away.
I don’t run them exclusively but it doesn’t really matter as long as you’re maintaining control of the unit with your remote. If they’re coming then they’re coming. As Coyote Man said, terrain will dictate a lot of that for you. That being said, when using the caller I hardly have it 50 yards for most situations. Probably half that on average. The more distance you’ve got between yourself and the caller will generally screw with how loud you are perceiving the calls to be. If I’m hiding myself well enough then I prefer to be a little closer and in sync with how loud I’m playing a tune vs trying to get away with movements I shouldn’t be making anyway by having the focus of a responder further away from my position. You get virtually zero slack in this regard when using mouth calls so I prefer to stay sharp.