Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM

Default How do deer get cwd?

Everyone is worried about eating cwd deer, how likely is someone to come in contact with the disease the same was the deer do?
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Everyone is worried about eating cwd deer, how likely is someone to come in contact with the disease the same was the deer do?
All the research you could need about CWD can be found at http://cwd-info.org/

CWD isn't alive, it isn't a virus, it isn't a bacteria. What CWD is is a protein. A misshapen protein that attaches itself to other proteins causing them to fold in the brain and chain together causing holes or sponge like holes in the brain. Hence the name Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy.

CWD infected animals "shed" these proteins in saliva and other bodily fluids. Research has shown that these proteins can be mobile through vegetation growth. CWD unlike BSE is a live animal to live animal transfer of the protein. BSE or Mad Cow can only pass through the consumption of infected material. That is why we no longer render dead animals and feed them back to livestock.

This isn't like the flu or the cold. Washing your hands isn't going to "kill" CWD. You can't cook the meat thoroughly to get rid of CWD.

Good luck.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM

Default Lots of questions

I'll list a few, how is it transmitted? Is it always in an animal? Are there multiple vectors (methods of transmission)? Does it jump species? How can it be killed? How infectious is it? Is there any way to eradicate it?

Is there research being done on an easier method of diagnosis?

That's all I have for now but this is a very serious matter, and depending on the answers to some of the questions it could be the end of us all.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Default Thank the Game Farms

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/06/24/C...ease-Research/
Old 12-12-2017, 11:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I have no answers,only information from the world wide web.

I have gone to this site as a starting point.
http://cwd-info.org/

This is a faq link from that site.
http://cwd-info.org/faq/

This thread is one of the better one posted on this form.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=334530

The link on the first post in your thread is the same in this message.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 AM

The last I looked into it, there was still a lot of unknowns,

Because of this, using deer products (scent gland lure, urine ect) to hunt with is not recommended as it may have come from deer in infected areas and has the potential to spread CWD in uninfected areas.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
The last I looked into it, there was still a lot of unknowns,

Because of this, using deer products (scent gland lure, urine ect) to hunt with is not recommended as it may have come from deer in infected areas and has the potential to spread CWD in uninfected areas.
This is true however It is not restricted to scent glands and lure.. A CWD infected deer leaves the proteins in everything from droppings and urine to anything we discard after harvest, guts, bone and fat scraps, literally everything. To top it off the proteins can be found in the grass where a gut pile was left long after it’s consumed by scavengers. Steven Rinella has an excellent pod cast episode loaded with CWD info where he talks with a gentlemen for the Wisconsin DNR about this.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
This is true however It is not restricted to scent glands and lure.. A CWD infected deer leaves the proteins in everything from droppings and urine to anything we discard after harvest, guts, bone and fat scraps, literally everything. To top it off the proteins can be found in the grass where a gut pile was left long after it’s consumed by scavengers. Steven Rinella has an excellent pod cast episode loaded with CWD info where he talks with a gentlemen for the Wisconsin DNR about this.
Meat eater podcat episode 70: Chronic Wasting Disease
Old 12-13-2017, 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Donkey Oatey;3687470. CWD unlike BSE is a live animal to live animal transfer of the protein.
This isn't like the flu or the cold. Washing your hands isn't going to "kill" CWD. You can't cook the meat thoroughly to get rid of CWD.
Good luck.[/QUOTE]

If the meat gets to the cooking process, there is no live to live transfer.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If the meat gets to the cooking process, there is no live to live transfer.
Live deer, to live deer.

The prion is still there. Not destroyed, not "dead" not sanitized.

BSE so far, can only be trasmitted through the eating or feeding of "infected" product. CWD transmits in the wild from live animal to live animal. In the final stages of CWD animals begin to droop, and uncontrollably drool and pee and crap shedding tons and tons of prions. This gets in the feed, the soil and the water that other animals use and thus transmits the prion. Animal dies and there are no more proteins being created but the ones that were created are still there and they don't rot like the rest of the animal.

Please read up on CWD to educate yourself.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
Meat eater podcat episode 70: Chronic Wasting Disease
A hundred times this. If you want to understand, listen to this podcast.