Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-13-2017, 07:38 AM

Default Well this felt weird.... Ruffie Hunting

Must say, first time ever hunting grouse well after the big game season has expired. I can understand why they are open later now. Saw more grouse this fall than I ever have in over 30 years of hunting so I though I would take part in the extended season. Lots of fun...

Old 12-13-2017, 09:36 AM

Awesome! Looking forward to doing the same.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:23 AM

Great stuff! That first one looks pretty dark, almost like spruce, no?

I have been debating doing the same. Went out today for a walk in the bush and haven't seen a single bird, so back to debating, lol (didn't get the bird license yet). This is the first year for me since i started hunting that I did not buy the license and shot a single bird (yet).
Old 12-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Default extended season

Will wipe out next years seed.Don't understand the F+W logic here at all.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
Well i dont see alot out taking advantage of this opportunity so i am unsure. While deer hunting we were seeing 10-12 spruce and riuffed grouse at a time in some places. Like i said i havent seen this many ever and i can remmeber some really great years in the 80's as a kid.

I have heard that it is wet springs that wreck survival rate in terms of destroying the eggs. Looks like the spring of 2018 wont have much run off where i go so could be another high survival rate.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Great stuff! That first one looks pretty dark, almost like spruce, no?

I have been debating doing the same. Went out today for a walk in the bush and haven't seen a single bird, so back to debating, lol (didn't get the bird license yet). This is the first year for me since i started hunting that I did not buy the license and shot a single bird (yet).
Actually that was a big ruffie. Was just the lighting when i took the pic i guess. Will be cool to do some rainbow fishing through the ice and pot a few ruffies on the same day this year.

Last edited by 1899b; 12-14-2017 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Most studies on the matter suggest hunting harvest does exactly SFA to the overall ruffie population. They are weather dependent. Sure, there might be less where people can get at them, but those cutlines and trails are a very tiny part of their range.

This year, with the wet nasty weather in the spring where I hunt them, I saw a lot fewer. On years with a dry spring, they are everywhere.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
We read the same thing last year. They were obviously wrong.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:59 PM

I am an upland hunter first and deer hunter second. Unlike most, I have dozens of honey holes where I can take my dogs every September/October and harvest birds. I check these areas during deer season and later. If there is a bird or two there in late fall there is almost always a family or two next season. If there are no birds or tracks in the snow, more often then not there is no families in the early season next year.

Could someone please explain to me how I can flush a family of Ruffed Grouse when I had shot the mother hen last winter? If you think a new mother just magically appears, I can assure you that you are wrong.

Grouse can be very intelligent, contrary to what most of us think from our encounters on dirt roads. You seldom if ever see the mature breeding stock as most often the young birds are harvested. Your shot scared the more mature that you most often only hear, not see.

You are correct in assuming that most young birds harvested have little to no effect on the population as most will in fact perish by spring anyway. Mature birds that have survived the hunting season have also learned to avoid natural predators however. They are a much more valuable resource as many will reproduce come spring.

So, shoot a bird in fall, shoot a bird in winter, shoot a bird in spring, shoot a bird off the nest, shoot a chick in summer, a bird is a bird, is a bird right?

The way nature intended is for the young to be harvested. Grouse produce 6 to 10 times her and her mates numbers. If one or two survive, all is good. I think we should follow what nature intended as much as possible. I bet foxes, coyotes etc. don't even bother trying to catch grouse in winter as they get really spooky. They are no doubt a staple in spring, summer and early fall.

I think the jury is still out on the effects this will have on the overall health of the Grouse population. Numbers were down in many areas this year but I found some new spots that were above average and heard of some good harvest in some other areas. The natural cycle of the population means that it could take decades to quantify the true results.

Nobody asked for or expected a winter Grouse season from the numerous people I talked to and no avid Grouse hunters I have spoken with consider this a sound management practise. I guess my question is why rather than the obvious why not.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM

Default as well

Grouse are cyclic in numbers .......a wet spring during egg laying/sitting can be devastating.Many hunters were out driving gravel/ice roads on the last sunny weekend where I hunt so the pressure is unrelenting.A buddy out getting his Christmas tree with his family said it was crawling with trucks.He saw and shot one bird wilder than old get out.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 PM
Banned

MK2750, thank you for the excellent post! My philosophy on the subject is quite similar to yours.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Reduce bag limit

Me I have enjoyed the season extension. With that being the case harvesting 2 or 3 birds can take plenty of time and miles in the boots with my bird dogs...And is it fun!!! No need to take more than 3. It would be my preference if the season remained extended but the limit dropped to 2 or 3 birds.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I am an upland hunter first and deer hunter second. Unlike most, I have dozens of honey holes where I can take my dogs every September/October and harvest birds. I check these areas during deer season and later. If there is a bird or two there in late fall there is almost always a family or two next season. If there are no birds or tracks in the snow, more often then not there is no families in the early season next year.

Could someone please explain to me how I can flush a family of Ruffed Grouse when I had shot the mother hen last winter? If you think a new mother just magically appears, I can assure you that you are wrong.

Grouse can be very intelligent, contrary to what most of us think from our encounters on dirt roads. You seldom if ever see the mature breeding stock as most often the young birds are harvested. Your shot scared the more mature that you most often only hear, not see.

You are correct in assuming that most young birds harvested have little to no effect on the population as most will in fact perish by spring anyway. Mature birds that have survived the hunting season have also learned to avoid natural predators however. They are a much more valuable resource as many will reproduce come spring.

So, shoot a bird in fall, shoot a bird in winter, shoot a bird in spring, shoot a bird off the nest, shoot a chick in summer, a bird is a bird, is a bird right?

The way nature intended is for the young to be harvested. Grouse produce 6 to 10 times her and her mates numbers. If one or two survive, all is good. I think we should follow what nature intended as much as possible. I bet foxes, coyotes etc. don't even bother trying to catch grouse in winter as they get really spooky. They are no doubt a staple in spring, summer and early fall.

I think the jury is still out on the effects this will have on the overall health of the Grouse population. Numbers were down in many areas this year but I found some new spots that were above average and heard of some good harvest in some other areas. The natural cycle of the population means that it could take decades to quantify the true results.

Nobody asked for or expected a winter Grouse season from the numerous people I talked to and no avid Grouse hunters I have spoken with consider this a sound management practise. I guess my question is why rather than the obvious why not.
Very, very well said. I agree 110%.