Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Great post.

Could you imagine working 40hr weeks at the plant and having a stay at home wife, 3 kids, 2 cars, a house (which would cost 1.2mil in parkdale these days), a boat etc?????

You'd be working on the line for like $150k+

Retire at 50yrs old like my grandpa??? Not in our lifetimes.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkytopBrewster View Post
Maybe someone should set up a job fare down there, I say get them the heck out, 99% of them don't even know what they are protesting. They want everything handed to them, focus some of that energy on finding a job!
You guys are a broken record hey
Old 11-15-2011, 09:03 AM

Yep, these are some fine upstanding people that care about the issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPGoPFRUdc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW56Z-0xwIQ

I still don't get what they are protesting! Sure seems like a massive amount of me me me me, I I I I, around this "movement". What a bunch of self entitled babies most of these protesters are. Send in the fire trucks, hose em down and let them freeze. Or better yet round them up, send them to Petawawa for Basic training and then off to Afghanistan for some peace keeping duties. Don't have to worry where you will live, what you will get paid and where you next meal comes from.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Great post.

Could you imagine working 40hr weeks at the plant and having a stay at home wife, 3 kids, 2 cars, a house (which would cost 1.2mil in parkdale these days), a boat etc?????

You'd be working on the line for like $150k+

Retire at 50yrs old like my grandpa??? Not in our lifetimes.
I have 5 kids and a stay at home wife, I usually don't clock in quite 40 hrs, own two homes that I built with my own hands, and may retire at 65. Thats my reality. I made it with my knowledge, skill, and effort. It's not solid gold, but it works for me. A person does what they have to do, or they get chewed up in the mill of life. Deal with it, instead of expecting 'equity' and equality, maybe lower your expectations, stop feeling entitled because you got an 'education'. I got an education when I got wiped out financially, and it has benefited me tremendously, it taught me that you better move your ass if you want to survive. It's not happening for all the wishful thinking. Unjust, unfair.....got nothing to do with it. My family getting their refuge column machine gunned by Russian planes wasn't fair either, nor their farm burnt to the ground. They dealt with it. Worked for a new farm in Canada.......When I see 18 yr old kids crybabying about how tough it is, I just think of my grandmother fleeing Russian troops in -40 weather in Poland with three little kids. And then I want to put those little whiners over my knee and smack their ungrateful bottoms. They don't know hardship yet.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2011, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted canuck View Post
I have 5 kids and a stay at home wife, I usually don't clock in quite 40 hrs, own two homes that I built with my own hands, and may retire at 65. Thats my reality. I made it with my knowledge, skill, and effort. It's not solid gold, but it works for me. A person does what they have to do, or they get chewed up in the mill of life. Deal with it, instead of expecting 'equity' and equality, maybe lower your expectations, stop feeling entitled because you got an 'education'. I got an education when I got wiped out financially, and it has benefited me tremendously, it taught me that you better move your ass if you want to survive. It's not happening for all the wishful thinking. Unjust, unfair.....got nothing to do with it. My family getting their refuge column machine gunned by Russian planes wasn't fair either, nor their farm burnt to the ground. They dealt with it. Got a new farm in Canada......sigh.

Do you work in manufacturing plant?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Do you work in manufacturing plant?
Back up a couple posts I mentioned my own business...., I own my own construction business, and 90% of the work done there is done by me. I have one helper I'm training, and I learned most everything I know how to do while working for substandard wages with older guys who had skill. No replacement for learning skills, and working hard.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
I have 5 kids and a stay at home wife, I usually don't clock in quite 40 hrs, own two homes that I built with my own hands, and may retire at 65. Thats my reality. I made it with my knowledge, skill, and effort. It's not solid gold, but it works for me. A person does what they have to do, or they get chewed up in the mill of life. Deal with it, instead of expecting 'equity' and equality, maybe lower your expectations, stop feeling entitled because you got an 'education'. I got an education when I got wiped out financially, and it has benefited me tremendously, it taught me that you better move your ass if you want to survive. It's not happening for all the wishful thinking. Unjust, unfair.....got nothing to do with it. My family getting their refuge column machine gunned by Russian planes wasn't fair either, nor their farm burnt to the ground. They dealt with it. Worked for a new farm in Canada.......When I see 18 yr old kids crybabying about how tough it is, I just think of my grandmother fleeing Russian troops in -40 weather in Poland with three little kids. And then I want to put those little whiners over my knee and smack their ungrateful bottoms. They don't know hardship yet.

I think the point I am trying to make is that the protesters are trying to bring attention to some very serious problems that western society faces.

The whole point is that it is obvious that we are on a dangerous path and that we would like to avoid fleeing armed troops in -40C with 3 children while watching our farm burn.

THAT is the hardship we are trying to avoid.

So yes, we should take a proactive approach to corruption and collusion between our governing bodies.

From your comment I can only assume that these protesters should be shot at, lose everything, flee a country etc before they have anything to protest about.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I think the point I am trying to make is that the protesters are trying to bring attention to some very serious problems that western society faces.

The whole point is that it is obvious that we are on a dangerous path and that we would like to avoid fleeing armed troops in -40C with 3 children while watching our farm burn.

THAT is the hardship we are trying to avoid.

So yes, we should take a proactive approach to corruption and collusion between our governing bodies.

From your comment I can only assume that these protesters should be shot at, lose everything, flee a country etc before they have anything to protest about.
Hehehe, you are the king of misdirection and make as much sense ass the protesters. Have you thought of going down and supporting them? Maybe donate some good food, drugs or condoms?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 AM

time to make ice.
Turn on the water and flood the park for the yearly skating rink.
Get them the heck out of the park(s) here and abroad.

They are nothing more than slackers and idiots who have no desire to better their position in life.
I've already walked "the proverbial" a mile in their shoes, so I don't buy their carp. If someone is down on their luck they can turn it around and do better. There is no excuse for laziness.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Beeguy, while I respect what your trying to say I think your being obtuse on purpose.

These clowns do not stand for freedom, fairness & transparancy in business or in government. They want to see an increase in our social systems and safety nets, they want further entitlements, they want the middle class to finance it.

If they were protesting for corporate accountability, government transparancy, less taxes on the middle class or against the never ending attack on individual liberty I would be down there with them... but they are not.

They are protesting for the right to increase the size of government and demand to see government involved in even more aspects of our lives. They would put us all in chains so they didn't have to worry about making the rent.

I see the protestors as standing against my way of life. Personal liberty and individualism are things I stand for. They want the opposite, thus myself and many here are against what they are doing.

Don't bring up any arguments about a boat, home, a wife that stays at home and freedom 55. Thats the thought process that the baby boomer generation has had for the last 60 years and its proven to be 100% unsustainable. That lifestyle has burdened our unborn generations with years of interest payments.

I will not be passing any debt onto my children. My hackles get up when some freeloading hippies decide that they will.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Banned

I am amazed how many people are against the right to protest, me personally I never go downtown and have only ever seen pictures of the protestors, as far as im concerned let them protest their little hearts out it doesn't concern me at all.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM

The problem on this Board is the closed mindedness that assumes the whole world is like Alberta.

Keep on saying "go get a job hippies" and "set up a job fair"

It is easy enough to say in Alberta. I have mentioned on a different thread on this topic that in Alberta (and some other canadian cities) a percentage of the protesters ARE lazy, hippies who don't want to work and don't even know what they are protesting for, but In the USA the protests have merit and Ideas.

From my first hand knowledge I will tell a brief story:

I have a close personal friend who lives in Davenport FL. She spent 6 years getting her MBA from the Uiversity of Central Florida (UCF) she studied hard and graduated with Honors in 2004. She got a high paying $150,000+ job at Lockheed Martin in Orlando. In 2008 when the market crashed she was layed off from her Orlando Office with 20+ other people (ranging from receptionists to scientists) with NO notice and NO severance. (this same year her office's manager got a bonus of 1million+) She has STILL to this day been unable to find employment. She has even looked to work in restaurants and Landscaping. The market down there is BAD!!!!!!!!!!! These are the types of people who are at the occupy movements. And even if she does find a job...Minimum wage of $5.00 an hour in FL sure as hell isn't paying the bills.....

THE PROTEST IS ABOUT THE "WORKING POOR" (which I am, and I work 50 hours a week and make $75,000+ a year....) but for people like 209x50 (judging just by the amount of times you use the "word" Ain't) it is an issue they would rather simply complain about then understand.

and as far as working hard and running your own buisness (twisted canuck) you had better be thankful you live in Alberta, because if you were south of the border running your own construction company, you would be at the occupy protests looking for a way to feed your family as well.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
....and as far as working hard and running your own buisness (twisted canuck) you had better be thankful you live in Alberta, because if you were south of the border running your own construction company, you would be at the occupy protests looking for a way to feed your family as well.
No, I wouldn't be. I would be moving to Alberta. In the last 20 yrs, I have lived in Mexico, Missouri, Winnipeg, and three locations in Alberta. I have moved where work has taken me (Mexico was volunteer work at an orphanage for almost a year), uprooting my family to do it. I did what I had to do. And it sure as hell wasn't easy. I sympathize with your friend, but maybe she should move. And I am very, very, very grateful to live in Alberta.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:59 AM

Where the hell are these jobs supposed to come from? The government? Like Russia? Or China? Yep I wants me some of that!!!!! [/sarcasm]

I don't understand the protesters because I have always had a job. From scrubbing floors in a school to flipping burgers at A&W to slinging chicken at KFC to laborer on a pipeline to what ever it takes to feed my family.

The accumulation of wealth is what is the problem with society today. What happened to making a living, living modestly and being happy. Why does everything have to come back to owning this and that and give me give me give me?

That is my problem with the occupy protests. Its not that they can't protest, its the entitlement that they want that they are protesting for.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
No, I wouldn't be. I would be moving to Alberta. In the last 20 yrs, I have lived in Mexico, Missouri, Winnipeg, and three locations in Alberta. I have moved where work has taken me (Mexico was volunteer work at an orphanage for almost a year), uprooting my family to do it. I did what I had to do. And it sure as hell wasn't easy. I sympathize with your friend, but maybe she should move. And I am very, very, very grateful to live in Alberta.
so you are suggesting that 50 million americans move to Alberta??? It is not as simple as to say "follow the work". The problem is too large to simply say "maybe she should move" ....if she did that solves her problem, but what about the other 49,999,999 people? Imagine the posts on here if americans starting flooding alberta looking for work. Your argument is not reasonable for the scale of the problem.

And what is your solution to my problem, I work 50 hours a week and make $75000+/- and I am considered working poor. what can I do?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
so you are suggesting that 50 million americans move to Alberta??? It is not as simple as to say "follow the work". The problem is too large to simply say "maybe she should move" ....if she did that solves her problem, but what about the other 49,999,999 people? Imagine the posts on here if americans starting flooding alberta looking for work. Your argument is not reasonable for the scale of the problem.

And what is your solution to my problem, I work 50 hours a week and make $75000+/- and I am considered working poor. what can I do?
If you make $75000/yr and are considered working poor my suggestion is sell some stuff and quite living beyond your means.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:

My suggestion is if you make that kind of money, and are 'working poor', maybe try living within your means. I supported my family of 5 on a hell of a lot less than that the first 5 yrs of running my business....sheesh.

And as far as the problems the Americans are facing, if they had been living within their means in the first place, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now. Or the Greeks, Italians, whatever. This is the problem, plain and simple. People want it all, on credit, and when it comes time to pay the piper, they lose it all, the economy tanks, and they whine, cry, point fingers, and blame big business and the governnement. Nobody forced them to take those loans, and get a house they couldn't afford, or two cars, 4 weeks vacation a year, the latest iThing.....So now it all sucks. Oh well. I have no solution.

In all this, my only real beef is the bail out money to the greedy corps.....As for all the 'victims'? Should have read the fine print, and educated yourself in financial matters before making unqualified decisions. In real life, there is no safety net. If you screw up, you are going to pay the price. If the company you work for screws up, it's employees will pay the price. Is it fair? Nope. But thats how it works. Is all the crybaby hold hands and sing Kumbayaa while we polute a park somewhere going to change anything? Not a hope.

Am I heartless? Nope. But I have a lot more respect for people who just deal with life, than I do for crybabies.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
If you make $75000/yr and are considered working poor my suggestion is sell some stuff and quite living beyond your means.
Ummmmmmm okay.....

In edmonton $75000 a year IS "working poor"

Good luck paying for a decent house, decent vehicle, gas, insurance, property taxes, utilities and the basics of life. food prices alone have SKYROCKETED in the last 3 years. Add to this trying to save some money so one day when I am old I may not have to work or one day cannot work......... I have no stuff to sell, but thanks for the comment!!!
Old 11-15-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I have a close personal friend who lives in Davenport FL. She spent 6 years getting her MBA from the Uiversity of Central Florida (UCF) she studied hard and graduated with Honors in 2004. She got a high paying $150,000+ job at Lockheed Martin in Orlando. In 2008 when the market crashed she was layed off from her Orlando Office with 20+ other people (ranging from receptionists to scientists) with NO notice and NO severance. (this same year her office's manager got a bonus of 1million+) She has STILL to this day been unable to find employment. She has even looked to work in restaurants and Landscaping. The market down there is BAD!!!!!!!!!!! These are the types of people who are at the occupy movements. And even if she does find a job...Minimum wage of $5.00 an hour in FL sure as hell isn't paying the bills.....
Touching story.

But at the end of the day its not my problem. I am not willing to accept higher taxes and larger government so an oversupply of MBA's can shuffle paper. They are playing the game of life just like you & I are. Find a niche and fill it.

She can do what thousands of Easterners did here in Canada, when the market went bad out there... They moved to greener pasture's.

Once again, I am all over corporate & government accountability... I am not in favor of a free lunch for over educated, entitled & lazy people.

I'll wager anything you like that I could find a job in the United States in 5 days that pays enough to live a modest life. (See the word modest? Thats because having an MBA doesn't automatically entitle you to a 3000 sq.ft house in the suburbs)
Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My suggestion is if you make that kind of money, and are 'working poor', maybe try living within your means. I supported my family of 5 on a hell of a lot less than that the first 5 yrs of running my business....sheesh.

And as far as the problems the Americans are facing, if they had been living within their means in the first place, they wouldn't be in the mess they are now. Or the Greeks, Italians, whatever. This is the problem, plain and simple. People want it all, on credit, and when it comes time to pay the piper, they lose it all, the economy tanks, and they whine, cry, point fingers, and blame big business and the governnement. Nobody forced them to take those loans, and get a house they couldn't afford, or two cars, 4 weeks vacation a year, the latest iThing.....So now it all sucks. Oh well. I have no solution.

In all this, my only real beef is the bail out money to the greedy corps.....As for all the 'victims'? Should have read the fine print, and educated yourself in financial matters before making unqualified decisions. In real life, there is no safety net. If you screw up, you are going to pay the price. If the company you work for screws up, it's employees will pay the price. Is it fair? Nope. But thats how it works. Is all the crybaby hold hands and sing Kumbayaa while we polute a park somewhere going to change anything? Not a hope.

Am I heartless? Nope. But I have a lot more respect for people who just deal with life, than I do for crybabies.

can you explain to me how you support yourself when you have a 6-year MBA and can't even get a job at Mcdonalds???
Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ummmmmmm okay.....

Good luck paying for a decent house, decent vehicle, gas, insurance, property taxes, utilities and the basics of life. food prices alone have SKYROCKETED in the last 3 years. Add to this trying to save some money so one day when I am old I may not have to work or one day cannot work......... I have no stuff to sell, but thanks for the comment!!!
Define 'decent'. Dencent to me is what I can afford on what I make. Maybe not what I want, or what I like, but if it goes from A to B, and keeps the rain off my head....good enough. You can always keep it clean, and upgrade when you can afford it. I'm 44, and didn't buy my first new vehicle until 2 yrs ago. Up until then, always 5, 8, 10 yr old thing I could fix myself. Paid cash, no car loan. Ever. Now I have two nice vehicles. paid for.

Decent is what you can afford and gets the job done without going into debt, and if you can't do it on $75K a year, you need to learn to budget. 'Working Poor', my goodness.......

Old 11-15-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ummmmmmm okay.....

If $75 000 a year is "working poor" then I am down right destitute. Perhaps I can take my last T4 and head over to Service Canada and get on the dole?

I wonder though how I can afford to hunt, pay insurance, pay a mortgage & save for retirement if I live in that state of pure poverty... Maybe the great Pierre Tredeau is sending me cheques from the grave?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Live within your means.
I make 1/2 if what you do and we live well enough.

If people would simplify their lives and live within their means they wouldnt be so hard done by.
Save up till you have the cash for that "thing", get rid of the gadgets, the big houses and the fancy cars.
I use a standard cell phone not some fancy black berry or iphone. I have a desk top instead of laptops which cost more.
Older style tv instead of the latest and greatest.

Your friend could easily make do on 5/hour if she wanted to.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:

alot of the problems with people taking on too much debt is the government, it's monkey see monkey do really, the government is the biggest waster of money and living in debt especially in the usa, it's not a smart plan and it certainly backfired on them but the government should lead by example.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=Sneeze;1161394]Touching story.

But at the end of the day its not my problem. I am not willing to accept higher taxes and larger government so an oversupply of MBA's can shuffle paper. They are playing the game of life just like you & I are. Find a niche and fill it.

She can do what thousands of Easterners did here in Canada, when the market went bad out there... They moved to greener pasture's.

Once again, I am all over corporate & government accountability... I am not in favor of a free lunch for over educated, entitled & lazy people.

I'll wager anything you like that I could find a job in the United States in 5 days that pays enough to live a modest life. (See the word modest? Thats because having an MBA doesn't automatically entitle you to a 3000 sq.ft house in the suburbs)[/QUOTE]

I doubt that... there are no jobs and they sure wouldn't give one to a canadian.

The USA government Deregulated the banking system to favour the top 1% of the population. They set up a system that required the rich to pay almost no taxes and put the remaining resposibility on the middle class. with the middle class vanishing the US government ran out of tax dollars to satisfy its obligations and industry started to struggle, add to that the constant outsourcing of jobs and manufacturing and all of the sudden consumer confidance decreases and retail spending halts. Now they are closing Lowes/Starbucks/Gap clothing stores et.al and MORE jobs are being lost. no one is hiring (including minimum wage) and the top 1% continue to get richer......this is what people are protesting about...the real protesters do not want a free ride, they want a system designed so they have a chance to be middle class
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Live within your means.
I make 1/2 if what you do and we live well enough.

If people would simplify their lives and live within their means they wouldnt be so hard done by.
Save up till you have the cash for that "thing", get rid of the gadgets, the big houses and the fancy cars.
I use a standard cell phone not some fancy black berry or iphone. I have a desk top instead of laptops which cost more.
Older style tv instead of the latest and greatest.

Your friend could easily make do on 5/hour if she wanted to.
so you think you could have a place to live and raise a family and be middle class on $1000 a month???? hahahahahahahahahahahah

you make 1/2 what I do and live comfortably??? where do you live? how long have you lived there? how much was your house? what are your pension/benefits like? how old are you?
Old 11-15-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
alot of the problems with people taking on too much debt is the government, it's monkey see monkey do really, the government is the biggest waster of money and living in debt especially in the usa, it's not a smart plan and it certainly backfired on them but the government should lead by example.
That's the biggest bit of horse poo you've written today! People go in to debt because of the guberment! Hah!

People go into debt because they are suckers for advertising, and they want the good life now, and pay for it later!

While I agree the Gov is the biggest waster of all, and they rightly deserve blame for everything from Global Warming to letting Gary Coleman ever utter the phrase "whatcho talkin'bout Willis?!", they certainly aren't making the average dolt keep up with the Joneses......

Old 11-15-2011, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's the biggest bit of horse poo you've written today! People go in to debt because of the guberment! Hah!

People go into debt because they are suckers for advertising, and they want the good life now, and pay for it later!

While I agree the Gov is the biggest waster of all, and they rightly deserve blame for everything from Global Warming to letting Gary Coleman ever utter the phrase "whatcho talkin'bout Willis?!", they certainly aren't making the average dolt keep up with the Joneses......
I said it wasn't a good idea and people are paying the price of it, but watching the goberment take loan after loan and defecit after defecit and still chug along enboldens people to do the same,it's the old lead by example theory.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
I said it wasn't a good idea and people are paying the price of it, but watching the goberment take loan after loan and defecit after defecit and still chug along enboldens people to do the same,it's the old lead by example theory.
I personally think personal accountability is the issue. My family taught me to live within my means. When I didn't, I got into trouble. If a person goes in to personal debt because he saw the government running deficit budgets, I suggest he stop being so easily led and influenced, and learn to manage his finances.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
I personally think personal accountability is the issue. My family taught me to live within my means. When I didn't, I got into trouble. If a person goes in to personal debt because he saw the government running deficit budgets, I suggest he stop being so easily led and influenced, and learn to manage his finances.
I agree.