Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM
WhiteWalleye

Default 7MM RM 140 grain canon?

In 05, at last light, I took a shot at a German Shepperd sized deer. Of course, If I had a means to compare the size to anything I would not have wasted my time to take a shot at this supplemental tag deer.

The deer went down to eat and the shot entered through the top to the right of the spine, didn't move an inch. But what an amount of shock to this small animal, a great deal of the side where the bullet entered was just wasted.

This last season, went out and picked some 140's ballistic tipped bullets for deer, keeping my 160s for Moose and Elk. Well, them itsy bitsy 140's are leaving more damage than the 160's did. I mean, even on entry, they just seem to be blowing up on impact. What's going on? When the entry area has more damage showing than the exit wound, it goes against anything that I thought a bullet could do. I'd like to see a CSI show on this one. To me, it defies all logic.

So what's going on?
Old 02-12-2007, 12:39 AM
lilsundance

Now I am no expert on this but this is my take on it. The ballistic tip is a fast expasion bullet to my knowledge. The 140 gr is going faster than your 160gr. Being a faster expasion bullet and moving faster it will expand on impact quicker than the 160gr. Being lighter it looses momentum quicker than the 160 and will be moving slower at the exit point. So in other words it transfers more Kinetic energy on impact ( moving faster and a faster expanding bullet) than the 160 gr bullet. I would pick a slower expanding bullet.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Ballistic Tip

Default Ballistic Tip

The Ballistic Tips expand so explosively they are virtually useless for deer size game. Far too much meat damage and too much risk of no penetration. I saw a mule doe shot broadside in the boiler room with one where it struck a rib and never penetrated the chest cavity. Obliterated the shoulder and threw her to the ground shocking the nervous system for a few seconds. She was killed on the second shot when she struggled to get up.

If you don't like eating deer meat a few well placed shots with these bullets should satisfy all but the most cranky warden that you have not allowed "edible" meat to spoil.

Can you tell I don't like ballistic tips?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:20 AM
WhiteWalleye

Default Re: Ballistic Tip

Out of three deer I took last season on the ballistic tips, two hit bone, neck and spine, these are the ones that I was surprised at the entry and general wound area. One that was shot through the front lower neck, the bullet exited at the side on the hind quarter. Killed it quick, didn't get far at all, yet no blood to track, just a tufft of hair (snow) entry and exit holes standard issue.

These definitely blow up (only way to describe it) if they hit bone of any kind. They they blow right through though.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:27 PM
aulrich

You got hit by a combination of two things, a small deer (I think we who fill doe tags have done it at least once), and yes BT's are fast expanders made worst in that they are desinged for contact speeds of 2900 fps and less. The new Accubonds will probably handle the speed better, without blowing up.

But when you come to the party with that much energy wasted meat comes along. For years I shot a 338 wm for everything got sick of wasting meat so I started shooting it like a 243 clean ribshots only stay away from bone. ended up getting a 270 I can still shoot a deer from most any angle but I done loose nearly as much meat.

As long as the 160's reliably expand in a deer I'd say stay with one load.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:55 PM
7 REM MAG

139 gr hornady interbonds work great in my 7mag
Old 02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
pintailslammer

Default 140 accubonds

I for one can say that the Accubonds hold together quite well. I recovered my bullet from my mule dder this fall. I shot him walking up a coulee draw. The bullet entered the back just above the tenderlons took the lungs and heart out. It then passed through into the front shoulder. I cleaned it up and weighed it and it still weighed 94 grains. I didnt think that was too bad.

Pintailslammer
Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 PM
citysfs

Default Re: 140 accubonds

Shot bull moose at 148 yds and a cow elk at 125 yds with acc Bond in 7 MM mag and very effective. the only thing that moved them any distance was the forward motion that they had when hit. Very satisfied