Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 AM
dodger

Default My dogs pads

I have a Springer Spaniel that loves to come along on my outdoor trips. The problem is in snow, there begins a buildup of small round ice balls between her pads. They get larger in minutes and then the pressure splits her skin between the pads. I have cut the hair pretty short but there is always enough to start these ice balls. Any suggestions would be helpful, and if someone has experience with booty's that help a dog running around over rocks and snow etc. would be a help.
Thanks Dodger
Old 02-15-2007, 09:52 AM
RyanGSP

I use Muttlucks for my Irish Setter and they work great. Takes a bit to get used to. I reccomend these.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Vaseline

Default Vaseline

I have the same problem with my wirehair dachshund
and along with keeping the hair short between the pads I use vaseline between his toes to keep those snow balls from forming. You don't need alot just make sure the hair is well coated.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:51 PM
dodger

Default Re: Vaseline

Thanks for the ideas. I will try the vaseline fist as i search out the muttlucks. Appreciate the help from fellow outdoorsmen.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:34 PM
CBR hunter

Try muttlucks for sure. Any other brand is an impersonation and not at all of the same quality.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:02 PM
NS Beagler

How well do they stay on and where do you get them?
Old 02-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

I use the plain cordura nylon booties that have the elasticized velcro strap to keep a better fit. These are the same kind that are used in the 1000 Mile Yukon Quest dog sled race and the Iditarod race. They are cheap to buy and stay on better than most, during racing each booty should stay on for a 100 km or more. The key is the elasticized velcro strap and they can be hard to come by.

Perhaps I should buy a poopload here and bring them to Alberta to sell, they work equally well in the summer for rocky/desert conditions.

Oh yeah, vaseline helps a lot but it can make the pad unreasonably soft so cuts can happen more often. Pick yer poison. There's also a product called Tuff-Foot to help the pads become hard and tough.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:37 PM
RyanGSP

The muttlucks you should to be able to pick up at any pet store. Pet Land should have them.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:10 AM
dodger

Default brand

I like your info Northern Alberta Mom. If you can find a brand name i may be able to buy them online somewhere. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:14 AM
dodger

Default OOps

Sorry Northern HUNTING Mom. doing this at the end of a way to long shift and was typing from memory (getting old to).
Old 02-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

Default Re: OOps

<a href="http://www.prairiedogsupply.mb.ca/bootca.htm" target="_new">Prairie Sled Dog Supply</a>

The booties in their website do not have the elasticized velcro but they can make them for you. The elasticized velcro is more expensive so most dog supply stores do not buy it. I can bring quite a bit (100 or so) down with me when I move to Edmonton. I can grab some that are the most common sizes for hunting dogs. The phone number for the The Dog House in Dawson City Yukon is 867-993-5405. They can ship anywhere and it wouldn't be expensive to ship in an envelope. I would ask though, if you could wait on the phone call until next week, The Yukon Quest sled dog race is having their 36 hour layover right now so the store goes nuts. I worked there for 2 years. The owners are wonderful busy people. Peter Ledwidge is racing the Yukon Quest again this year and is doing well.

<a href="http://www.stardustkennels.com/contact.php" target="_new">The Dog House and Stardust Kennels</a>
Old 02-16-2007, 07:50 PM
dodger

Default Thank you

Thanks Northern Hunting Mom. I appreciate the help and advice. Now that winter is in the late stages I will wait a month and get hold of them to place an order. Have a great weekend