Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2007, 09:58 PM
Hoopi

Default Looking for Canadian Booking Agent for Namibia Safari

Hey:

Anyone know of a Canadian Booking Agent for Namibian Safari? Suggestions for a Canadian Travel agents that specialize in booking flights to Africa?

Anyone been to Namibia? Recommended Professional Hunters in Namibia.

The Cod-God and I are planning a trip in 2008 or 2009, my dear wife caved to my begging.

We are thinking Kudu, Gemsbok, Mountain Zebra (plains game stuff) and maybe an add-on cull hunt. All thoughts welcome. PM me if you are shy.

Thanks,

Hoopi
Old 01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Africa Hunt

Default Africa Hunt

Phone 403-291-0162 and talk to Mark.I don't know if he is where you want to go but he does book hunts for Africa
Old 01-19-2007, 05:16 PM
7MM

Default African Safari

I know wildlife taxidermy out of Brooks is a booking agent for sandhurst safaris. I was thinking of booking for next year. Larry lent me his video from one of his hunts, and it looked like they had agreat time.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:24 PM
nube

Default Re: African Safari

I'm going to Africa in June and have just started to look for flights. I'll let you know what I find. Price can be from $1700-2500$
Old 01-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Hoopi

Hey Everyone:

Thanks for the information you have provided so far. I chatted with Mark and he seems like a really good guy.

Hoopi
Old 01-20-2007, 10:54 PM
moosefever

Hey Hoopi....you could maybe try these guys and see what happens;

www.outdoor-connections.com

If you look under agents, there are 3 reps that live in alberta.

Hope this helps and good luck !
Old 01-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Franklins

Default Franklins

Call Jack Franklin at Franklins Tire in Brooks. He's been in the biz since Christ was a baby.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:35 PM
africa

Default africa

www.comasssafaris.com
Old 01-25-2007, 02:50 AM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: africa

Sorry Larry, I dont get it

Jamie
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
sheep hunter

Check out Byseewah Safaris...first class all the way.

www.byseewah.com/
Old 01-28-2007, 11:18 PM
nube

Looks like they get some nice animals but they are way over priced from what I see on most of the animal harvest fees. Looks like you could do some fun shark fishing if you get tired of hunting which would be fun as well
Old 01-28-2007, 11:23 PM
sheep hunter

Sometimes you get what you pay for nube.....
Old 01-29-2007, 12:53 PM
nube

I understand that fully but when the outfitter I am going with has a B+C rate of 75% and costs way less then It opens my eyes a little. The Baboon I am going to hunt costs me $100 when with the price you quoted was $500. The same goes for the Warthogs at $325 compared to a lot more. My outfitter says a 10-12 inch Warthog is average. I will wait and see if it is as good as it sounds. Even the Blue widebeest is over$500 less. The hunting can't be worth Thousands of dollars more. I could understand the price difference if the animal size was that big of a difference but from what I have seen it doesn't seem to be different. I guess I will see in June
Old 01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
sheep hunter

Since B&C is a North American only record book, I'd question what your outfitter is saying.

What country are you hunting? South African hunts are a bargain right now and certain much more reasonable because of the high fence control they have on their game. Anyhow, I'm sure you'll enjoy your hunt. Namibia is inherrantly more expensive because of a number of reasons but it will certainly be my country of choice when I go, but that's just me. No matter where you go in Africa the trip is well worth the experience.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Rackmastr

Heh...I was gonna point out the B&C thing too....I'm hopin you meant SCI or Rowland Ward.....

Man I gotta get over there one day!!
Old 01-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Hoopi

Hey Sheep:

Thanks for your reply. What do you know about Byseewah. It was one of the places I was following up on.
For me, high fences and small farm hunts are not what I am looking for. Its a personal thing with me. That is why I am shying away from SA. I am not sure what you mean by bargains in SA. I found Namibia to be better value for the more "concession style" of hunt (ie lots of space between fences). My buddy and I set a low ranch size limit of 36 square miles (or 36 sections = a township), because the ranches we hunt for whitetails in Alberta are about that size...and we don't get bored of walking around those places for 10 days a year
However we were looking for good Kudu, Gemsbok and Mountain Zebra (with other plainsgame to follow) on a 10 day hunt. So a concession-style of hunt means more new area to check out each day, including a tent camp if possible. Also, I don't want to spend the whole day in a truck bouncing over roads. I would like to spot and stalk from Kopjies (big rock outcroppings) and get after them once the game is spotted. Kinda like sheep huntin' here in Alberta (less the thousands of vertical feet of climbing and 50 lb pack :lol )

Lastly, I am really looking forward to following a good PH and Tracker as they identfy tracks and in the sand, we follow them up, and I hopefully connect with a nice kudu, etc at the end of it.

Any further thoughts from anyone? I am following up with every lead I get.

Hoopi
Old 01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
sheep hunter

I've met the owners of Byseewah several times and they are first rate people. Ken has some very interesting philosophies on fair chase...ones I respect a lot. I know several folks that have hunted with them and all have very high praise. I spoke with Ken at length about his hunting philosophy and felt his outfit was a great fit for my personal style. It sounds as if it may be for yours to.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
nube

You are right Sheephunter about the B+C thing. As you can see I don't know much about it but I am slowly learning. It is Also SA that I am going to and the prices may vary because of this- I don't really know. The place I am hunting has over 70 000 acres to hunt so I hope I don't see a fence.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 PM
sheep hunter

I wasn't putting down SA nube but it is a very different place from Namibia and the prices reflect that. Some times learning involves listening and asking questions nube. You were comparing apples to oranges and thus the price difference. I'm certain you'll have a great hunt and I hope you find all the critters that you are after.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:39 PM
nube

What are the differences between these places? I don't know much about safaris hunting and the different places to go. All I know is that I didn't want to hunt on one of those places where they raise the animal and let it go to be shot at. At least I have some space with some wild critters. I don't even get all that excited over a lot of them. I like the Kudu and the Warthogs but have a list of about 10 critters to hunt.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Hunt

Default Hunt

Quote:
I don't even get all that excited over a lot of them.
You shouldnt say that some might think there is something missing .When i was younger my uncle always said if hunt dosent excite you you should stop hunting .what you meant by that comment i am not sure .Just enjoy your hunt in africa Truely a place to hunt.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM
nube

Default Re: Hunt

What I meant is that A big whitetail or killing a sheep excites me more than shooting any of those animals. Mainly because I don't know much about them and I would think the hunting would be easier than trying to hunt a bighorn sheep. I can't even field judge them much because I don't know much about it. I am going for the hole experience mostly and I am sure I will be excited when I get there. The one critter that really interests me is a warthog and I plan on shooting a couple of them and may even get a half mount done. Kudus are really neat with the spiral horns as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:31 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: Hunt

Nube I am in the same boat. I think its a matter of not knowing what to expect. I also think the "ADVENTURE" part plays a huge role in it for me.
Once again congrats, I am sure it will be a trip to remember.

Jamie
Old 01-30-2007, 06:11 PM
graylake

Nube

While I have not been to Africa yet, I do have my trip booked and it took me about 2.5 years to decide on where and with whom, I should be hunting. So I am not a expert, but a few of the things that I have learned so far are as follows.

- you can not fly through the US with firearms. Go via Frankfurt. People have tried to get around the paperwork with the US, but it won't happen.

- if hunting in SA and they say that you are hunting 70000 acres, ask if it is all in one block? Or are you hunting 7 ranches, 10000 acres each. Are there any internal fences, if so what type? bare wire or 8' game fence.

- Ask if the ranch stocks animals or is it natural reproduction. How many hunters do they run through the camp annually.

- check with a bunch of the other outfits in the area, if their prices are in the ball park of what you are quoted then great. But if everybody else is charging higher then the company that you are using is making up the shortfall some where else. ie, what does it cost for Dip/pack, are they forgetting to add in any of the taxes. Stuff like that.

I see that you are on AR, that is a great site with a wealth of information, but a large portion of the members are US and they have a bunch of different rules to deal with down there. Besure that any information you get is applicable to this side of the Border.

Have fun,

Graylake
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Why Not?

Default Why Not?

Why can't you fly through the U.S. with guns. I know loads of guys that have done it. There are some permits to fill out if you plan on hunting in the U.S. but for just picking up a connecting flight there there are no issues. London, now that's another story.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 PM
nube

Default Re: Why Not?

Graylake, thank you for your wisdom. I have gone over the same issued you have brought up as well. I believe it is mostly London to watch out for with firearms. I just booked my flight. Going to Toronto and then to Joburg. $1000 plus taxes so just shy of $1500. There are 6 of us leaving from here. The area I am hunting is 70 000 in one place with no high fences. Threre are other areas we could hunt as well but it may take a few hour drive just t o get there if I wanted to go there but I have most species where I am going including a few Elephants to watch. It should be a fun trip. Like Jamie said, I don't know what to expect. I do have quotes for all added costs including taxidermy and shipping. I may have to buy an extra barrel for my Blaser just for fun as well. Good luck to you.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:16 AM
High Fences

Default High Fences

I'd be surprised if the ranch you are hunting isn't high fenced as most of SA is but there are some huge tracts of land there. Fences are used to manage game.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:13 PM
nube

Default Re: High Fences

I would think it would be high fenced on the outside of the lnd but there are not any cross fences that are high fenced on the inside.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Bucks forever

You might want to try Safari Club International- Northern Alberta Chapters website sci-northern.ab.ca they are gearing up for their annual banquet on April 7, 2007. They always have some great hunts from all over the world and they go for a good price, you can save a lot of money at the auction.
I ended up buying a hunt with my buddy at the Banquet in 2006 and went to South Africa at the end of June/06. The crew we were with treated us like royalty, lots of good food, drink and never a dull moment. We were there for 12 days and had a blast, I ended up shooting 12 animals and they are all quality animals. Not once did I feel pressure in taking a shot. if it wasn't a good animal they would tell you so. Yes we did hunt the fenced properties but only saw the fence driving in and out and on on property the gates at the sugar cane were left to the side and the fence was maybe 5' tall. I will post pictures if your interested. Good Luck Brian
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM
Hoopi

Hi Brian:

Thanks, that is a great tip. If I had the cash, I would have like to have gone to the SCI show in Reno. I hear there are hundereds of outfitters to talk to there.

Hoopi