Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
bigbuckaholic

Default Drawn for turkeys

Checked the Alberta relm site last night and found out that myself and 2 buddies were drawn for turkey. This will be the first time for all of us and we are pumped!! Anyone else have any luck?:hat
Old 02-08-2007, 08:54 PM
270man

Default Drawn for turkeys

Congrats bigbuck. How many years did you have to wait to be drawn?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 PM
bigbuckaholic

We were priority 4. I finally remembered to put our draws in this year and it payed off. We would have probably got drawn last year but S@#t happens.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Tucumseh

After reading this post, I still forgot to put in my draw. Damn!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:59 PM
hunt4ever

Did a 999 this year. Hopefully next year I won't be busy
Good luck.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
sheep hunter

Hey, I got drawn. Cool!
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Elnino54

Default Turkeys

Whoo-Hooo, I finally got my Turkey Draw too. Now I need to fire my shotgun (Which I never Use) and figure out what load is best. I suppose I should try one of those calls as well. Any tips would be appreciated. Thx in advance.
Craig
Old 02-09-2007, 04:16 PM
OutdoorChet

I forgot to mention, my brother was drawn so i'll be out there too with a few calls and a video camera in my hands.

Chet
Old 02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
OutdoorChet

Your going to have a pile of fun. The whole interaction thing between hunter and prey makes turkey hunting one of the most rewarding hunting experiences you can have. We are very lucky to have this opportunity in Alberta. Have fun and good luck!

Chet
Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
jrs

Good luck guys. Lots of good territory open to hunting for them birds now too. They've never interested me, maybe once i'm done with getting a nice ram of my own on the wall.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Tucumseh

El,
Turkeys are not that hard to hunt, you just have to find the buggers. I hunt elk in an area where there are lots of em and though I never shot one yet, I had the opportunities to shoot many. I often walked right up on them during my morning hunts for deer, or would watch them cross the road in front of me.
I am a 3 pry and am totally choked I forgot to put in this year.>:

Here is a pic I took last november while peeling potatoes in front of our wall tent.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Dewie

tuc

do have a camp in the porcupine hills, we have a camp there just wondering if we ever ran into each other.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Re: Drawn for t

Default Re: Drawn for turkey

Congrats to all who were lucky to draw a tag. I also was drawn this year. First time for a tag for me in Alberta. I'm really excited. Hunted lots of turkeys but it will be the first time hunting one in the province. I guided a friend of mine to a bird last year. First time for him and he bagged a 19 pound mature tom!
Have to agree with OutdoorChet, you will get hooked once you try it.
Anyone going to the Sportsmans show in Calgary next weekend be sure and stop by the NWTF booth. I'll be there as well as doing some seminars during the show. I would be glad to help out all of you new guys to the sport. I hope you are all successful this spring and get that bird you've been waiting for!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:39 PM
nafegavas

I've heard so much negative about how tough these toms are, is this true or do they make great din dins?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Re: Drawn for t

I suppose its like any other game meat in that it's all in the preparation. Any wild turkey I've ever eaten or prepared has been mmmm, mmmm, good!
One of the big mistakes most people make is that they remove the glob of gelatin under the skin right near the wishbone. Leave this in as it serves as a really good basting when your cooking them up, roasting that is.
Another great way to do them is to debone the meat and use your favourite cajun seasoning and get that deep fryer going. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Tucumseh

Quote:
do have a camp in the porcupine hills, we have a camp there just wondering if we ever ran into each other.
Dewie, where abouts do you guys set up. I'm on the west side of 304 about a mile in from HYW 22.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Dewie

tuc

we are camped in the 305 down the west sharples road just off hiway 22 at the old chimney if you know were that is. i shot a moose in 304 in 2002 and talked with some guys in a camp in your neck of the woods maybe your camp.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Tucumseh

Dewie, I know exactly where your camp is, I did hunt that area often years ago.
I talked with alot of hunters over the years so it's quite possible we met. I do remember 3 bow hunters that stopped by camp on a couple of occassions this year to chat. Where you one of them?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 PM
Dewie

tuc

no that was not me. I live I Red Deer now an only make there for one week in November. last year some people burnt our hunting shack right to the ground and cut down our hainging tree with three generations of initals engraved in it, it was very sad my dad had that camp there for 15 years for everyone to enjoy. The sad part is that we cleaned camp up better than it was before we got there,and respected the land the animals as well as te ranchers.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Tucumseh

Dewie,
Sorry to hear that. You'd like to think people would respect others property but that is wishful thinking. You are going to find azzholes wherever you go.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:43 PM
Dewie

tuc

well we wil keep our eyes open i know some ranchers shut roads down because stuff got stollen from them. Iam pretty sure that i was loggers that were in the area they logged out so much land it is sick. under the watch tower is like hiway #2. plus lots of dirt bikers up there in the summer, so there could have been a misunderstanding. I would hope.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Re: Drawn for turkey

Just curious what priority or what was the lowest priority everbody got their draw with priority 4-3-2.