Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Rackmastr

Default 700 Nitro Express Video

This is some pretty serious fire-power.....great buffalo and hippo defense gun.....

www.ferlachguns.com/mm/megavideo.htm
Old 02-02-2007, 03:00 AM
gunner 83

is there really a point for that big of a gun?? what...a 500NE isn't enough for ya? i'd like to see the bruise on that guys shoulder after he fires 5 of these artillery rounds
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 AM
bigbore

crazy calibres i tell ya. still, its one of those things you have to shoot just so you can say you did it. Not like the rifle is the weight of an average hunting rifle either. thx for the link Rack.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:37 PM
sheep hunter

I saw a double rifle in .700 Nitro last week at SCI...what a beast. It looked like a side by side 12 gauge!!!!
Old 02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
shooter

Rack,
Thanks for sharing the link. That is more abuse than my body can take. :eek That would just kill me!!!! Those Nitro's are quite the gun... a friend of mine has a double rifle in 470 NE and he shot a few farmed buffalo with it. WOW is all that can describe that. The hitting power was unreal!!!
Shooter:eek
Old 02-02-2007, 04:04 PM
walleyes

Not for me thank you very much my 300 ultra gives me all the punch I want or can handle and I would like to see the animal that could walk away from it with one betwwen the eyes God doesn't make big enough........
Old 02-02-2007, 06:21 PM
7 REM MAG

holy CRAP!!!
hey rod when u gonna buy one of these???
i feel sorry for that guys shoulder
Old 02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
gunner 83

haha...that gun reminds me of the old saying

"if that can't kill it...it ain't supposed to die"
Old 02-02-2007, 10:35 PM
cmfic1

Quote:
I would like to see the animal that could walk away from it with one betwwen the eyes God doesn't make big enough........
Unfortunately for you, it wouldnt matter if you were the PH or the Hunter, using your RUM in Africa for any of the Big 5 is not an option (read illegal). Not only that, shooting something between the eyes isnt always in the cards.

I know that if didnt cost $15,000-$40,000 or more to get behind one, there would likely be one in my Vault!

I would think that nothing says "comfort" more, when stalking, Ele/Duggas or a Rhino, like a .700 Nitro!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Rackmastr

Walleyes, I agree with CMFIC......a shot between the eyes with a 300 RUM on a charging buffalo or hippo or Rhino will do nothing but **** him off......

Some guns have certain tasks....the 300 RUM is a nice gun no doubt, but comparing it to a NE is like comparing a BB gun to it....they are totally different beasts...
Old 02-03-2007, 12:53 AM
cmfic1

Missed your post bones....Would love to have one, gotta drink more Beer, so I have more cans to take in, save the money from the cans to buy .700 Nitro....plan sounds good to me!
Old 02-03-2007, 03:13 AM
7 REM MAG

lol buy cheap beer and use the can $ and $ saved to buy 700 nitro lol
Old 02-03-2007, 11:04 AM
walleyes

First of all a bullet between the eyes from RUM on a buffalo would do more than **** it off my friend and second of all how do you know do you shoot them on weekends for practice or are you just saying it because the PH's from Africa say it to empress their clients.
I am aware of the fact that in some parts of Africa it is the law to hunt for certain species with only the largest of rifles.. But I just wonder if allot of the time it is to add to the whole experience and mystics of hunting in Africa..
And like said I would like to see the animal that would walk away from a 225Grain from an ultra between the eyes. But no one will ever know will they. They shoot rhino with bows for crying out loud you going to tell me you won't stop one with a 300 mag... This argument can go on for ever and we will never get the chance to prove any different. But I will say this given the chance I would not be scared to hunt any animal that walks the face of this earth with my ultra....
Why can you hunt a lot of the species with a 375 H&H and not a 300 RUM, check the tables and charts so many people like to live by and you will see a 300 ultra w/ 200 grain packs more energy than the 375 w/ 300 grain.... And don't say you don't believe come on its on the charts............
Old 02-03-2007, 03:57 PM
cmfic1

walleyes, the Ballistics you mentioned, while being true, they are in fact Theoretical on live Game/Hunting circumstances. The way better "Frontal area" of a .375 cal. bullet, is what penetrates the tough Hide/Bones/Muscle of a Buff, not the hyped up, ballistics charts that ammo makers come up with.

The .375 Is in fact the Government Imposed minimum, you can use on any of the Big 5. This minimum has nothing to do with flair &/or mystique. I beleive it is/was imposed as a rule to keep the 7mm,.300 type Hunters from getting themselves, & the PH/Trackers into problems. All members of the Big 5, have been shot with lesser cals. than a .375, & in some intances (although rare), I would bet it still happens today.

I too would be fairly confident in using my .300 WM, or my .338 WM for a Buff (I know a guy who killed one with a .300 Weatherby, 9 shots in the boiler room!). Would I want to?...absolutely not, would I if I had to?....Yes.

The RUM line of Cartridges have a time & place (although not for me), Shooting most anything, under 100 yards (longish shot for Big 5 members) with one isnt what it was designed for, especially when your quarry are known to be 5 of the most dangerous animals in the world, all of them can Stomp/Mash/Pound/Bite/Chew/Gore, and/or eat you!!

.300 RUM for plains game Yes.....Anything bigger....No
Old 02-03-2007, 04:05 PM
walleyes

All true cmfic, all true but I really do wonder sometimes if allot of those animals really are as tough as they say or is it allot of hype... Remember they hunted allot of dangerous game 200yrs ago with guns that although were big and powerful in their day how do they compare with today's hot powders and superior bullets.. Just something to think about...
Old 02-03-2007, 04:11 PM
sheep hunter

Yup, you can kill a rhino or buff or elephant with a bow but would you want to be armed with one during a charge? To me, guns like the .700 Nitro are great "holy crap, he's coming" guns. Do you need it for the initial shot? Likely not but with several thousand pounds of fury bearing down on you, I know I'd want something a lot bigger than a .300 in my hands. Energy at that point is definitely your friend!!!
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
cmfic1

All animals On the African Continent, have been touted hundreds of times, as being the most Tenacious animals in the World!

So if you take that info, plus the fact that alot of times, in the last seconds before the shot is taken, the gig is up! meaning that when stalking to within 100 yards or less, some of the Buff for instance (they typically travel in large herds, or bachelor herds of Bulls), allready know your there. So now you may have one of the toughest pound for pound animals in the World, at less than 100 yards. Your in his house, and he aint gonna like it, therefore his Adrenaline is pumping allready when the 1st shot is taken.

I have Videos, and Clients personal accounts, of some Buff taking 1 shot through the shoulders and its over, But I have seen/read/heard other times, of an 'ole Dugga boy taking several shots to the front quarters from such cap busters as the .416's, .458's and the Big Nitro Cartridges. to name a few, without seemingly noticing it...

So in conclusion, I would really, really believe that they are indeed very tuff!!, and warrant the respect of using enough Gun.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:24 PM
walleyes

Thats why you keep the jeep running and you're shoes tyied and a fresh pair of depends in you're back pack :lol :lol All very true sheep...
Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Rackmastr

Quote:
To me, guns like the .700 Nitro are great "holy crap, he's coming" guns
Haha yep.....definatly a SxS Nitro Express would get my vote over a 300RUM in a charge any day.....

Anything works, but some work MUCH better...especially in the hippo/rhino range of things!!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Rackmastr

Quote:
how do you know do you shoot them on weekends for practice or are you just saying it because the PH's from Africa say it to empress their clients.
I know it because of what I've seen in videos, read, spoken with hunters and with PH's...they dont say it to impress clients...they say it to save their lives. Same reason grizzly guides dont run around with .223's in hand....

Quote:
And like said I would like to see the animal that would walk away from a 225Grain from an ultra between the eyes. But no one will ever know will they. They shoot rhino with bows for crying out loud you going to tell me you won't stop one with a 300 mag...
You wouldnt see it walk away.....he would die no doubt....but not after he tossed you on the ground and turned you into dirt. Animals that are charging do so full of adrenaline. Killing one is one thing, stopping it is another.

No doubt, there are times when a 300RUM will stop a charge from a Rhino, Buffalo, Hippo.....but I'll let some other idiot be the one to test it out as the odds arent as great as a 700 NE....:rollin
Old 02-04-2007, 03:37 PM
7 REM MAG

hey walleyes i shot a buff. here in alberta that was a penned bull that needed to be taken out of the herd!I shot it right between the eyes with a hot loaded 375H&H and he staggered around a bit and i put another one between his eyes.would one shot suffice? most likely. had he been full of adrenaline and charging most deffinetly not, i would have been passing the gun to my dad cause i would be behind the tree trying not to crap more in my pants
Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM
Jamie Hunt

Walleyes. You have to remind me NOT to go to Africa with you
:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

And I shoot a 300RUM...

Jamie
Old 02-04-2007, 09:31 PM
walleyes

yah hey 7 mag,, we shot 2 between the eyes last spring with a 30/30 out in the open pasture 1/4 mile from any fence,, then walked out and got the tractor to pull them out,, didn't wreck any pants,, guess it matters how much confidence you have in your self....
Old 02-04-2007, 09:37 PM
Rackmastr

We're not talking American Bison.....we're talking Cape Buffalo......
Old 02-04-2007, 09:48 PM
walleyes

7 mag was talking about a prarie buff.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM
sheep hunter

Adreanaline is a bad thing. Most critters are pretty easy to put down when they are calm, but put a bad bullet in them and the game changes. Put a bad bullet in something that wants to kill you and you've got real trouble!!!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
7 REM MAG

that was my point exactly and i have enough confidence in myself to shoot deer at 500 yds and yotes at 550 but i would prefer to have my dad who has been charged by countless things to be behind the scope than me a 140 lbs 17 yrs old who has never been charged by anything.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:04 AM
cmfic1

If the old guy aint around...I'll back ya bones!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:59 PM
7 REM MAG

lol sounds good
Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 PM
2506 rem

if the animal doesnt kill ya the 700 nitro will haha