Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Default Fishing Kayak

I have just started the path down my fishing path and am seeking recommendations on a fishing kayak that is easy for one person to use and move, is stable enough to stand up in and affordable. I would like to spend a grand or a little more. There seems to be so many choices out there. I would like a Malibu Trio-11 but they seem to be as elusive as unicorns.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:31 PM
Banned

I like my Jackson Cuda 14, I can easily stand up in it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM

I have seen lots of vids about those. They look like good kit and are available in Calgary. I may be better off buying more than I need to start out with.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:21 PM

I have a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and it is a good kayak at just about everything. The only downsides are an uncomfortable stock seat and wet/uncomfortable ride due to sitting so low in the kayak. I upgraded my seat and that helped, I might try and build a base for the seat to sit on too but haven't done so yet.

A kayak like the Cuda 14 or WS Ride 135 or Old Town Predator or Hobie Pro Angler will be more comfortable and drier but they also cost more and are heavier because of it.

If you can afford a Hobie kayak then definitely consider them. Other then weight the Pro Angler is one of the best kayaks in almost every way. Pedalling is faster, it takes less effort and increases your fishing time significantly. If you don't want a pro angler due to size/weight they also have the outback model which is lighter but still expensive.

Every kayak has some sort of disadvantage. You will need to figure out what is most important to you and then should be able to narrow down your options. Ability to stand, dry ride, comfortability, speed, weight, storage space, accessory mounts etc all need to be taken into account and unfortunately there is no kayak that gives you everything. The models I have mentioned are some of the better ones available here, there are a couple other good brands/models but I don't know of any place to get them up here.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 AM

I'd ask Mikezilk he's a local and recently wrote an article in http://ifishmagazine.com/ summer issue about angling kayaks.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM

Mike uses a Ride 135 and loves it.

I think he has a Tarpon model as well, they are decent too but a little less stable. The Tarpon 160 is probably the fastest/easiest paddling kayak available though.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Plan on getting wet, just plan accordingly. but even with that I like my Jackson Big Tuna much better than a canoe. The paddling shops are probably selling off their rental fleet right now, so there may be deals to be had. Any of the big names brand wise will be good boats.

There will be lots of other expenses , mounts for rod holders and sounders tackle storage, life vest, roof rack, dry suit. But that is stuff that you build up along the way and it depends on how far you take it.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 PM

I am kind of leaning towards the Jackson Cruise 10 or 12. They seem to be pretty good out of the box and are basically a blank slate that I can totally customize.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck12 View Post
I am kind of leaning towards the Jackson Cruise 10 or 12. They seem to be pretty good out of the box and are basically a blank slate that I can totally customize.
I don't know anything about them. The one thing I do know is that short kayaks are harder/slower paddling, that is why touring kayaks are always 16+ feet. I would definitely go with the 12 foot model if you decide to go with a Cruise, it will be faster and probably more stable too.
Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I use a Jackson Kilroy and love it. The biggest difference is that it is a sit-in instead of a sit-on. The cockpit is HUGE so you have no problems getting in or out and the covers clip on and off very easily.

It comes outfitted pretty well and already has four rails on it so you can add whatever you want. It is very stable and you can stand in it easily.

It is a bit heavier than a regular kayak, but has a very comfortable seat and lots of upgrades.
Old 09-04-2014, 05:49 PM

I'm thinking now my dream kayak would be the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12. One of the forum members pointed me in that direction. There is so much to like about this very well outfitted kayak except the price.
I guess I will have to get a better paying job to support my new hobby.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:15 AM

Hey guys.

First off, what is your style of fishing? Spin or Fly?

Are you looking for a kayak to fish rivers, small lakes or big lakes?

Are you going to paddle long distances or shorter paddles?

Mike
Old 09-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm thinking now my dream kayak would be the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 12. One of the forum members pointed me in that direction. There is so much to like about this very well outfitted kayak except the price.
I guess I will have to get a better paying job to support my new hobby.
Get a hold of our fellow AO member Thumper. He has been using the Pro Angler this last year.

Hello Thumper...Where are you?
Old 09-09-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Get a hold of our fellow AO member Thumper. He has been using the Pro Angler this last year.

Hello Thumper...Where are you?
Right here! Loved my Hobie Outback, and love my Hobie PA even more. PM me with any questions and I'll help where I can.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:24 AM

I have a wilderness ride 115x angler. I love it, very stable but not the speediest boat but wasn't looking for that. Easy to manoeuvre and get off and on the truck
Old 09-10-2014, 10:28 AM

PS. I found some places would let u try put the products which really helped in finding the right boat
Old 09-10-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
PS. I found some places would let u try put the products which really helped in finding the right boat
Glad you like it old dog.. where did you buy from? I am the only Canadian Pro-Staff member with Wilderness at this time and absolutely love their kayaks. Even before I was on the pro-staff
Old 09-10-2014, 03:33 PM

Mike, I am a spin fisherman wannabe.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:37 AM

I bought my Wilderness at Aquabatics, Calgary. Very friendly and informed staff.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Mike, I am a spin fisherman wannabe.
I live in Blackfalds as well. I have 2 Wilderness Systems kayaks at home that you can come take a look at if you want. Sit in em and see that you think. Might be easier that way.

Plus you can see the weight of them and what the different styles are and offer for benefits etc.

Text me if you want.. 403-392-1922
Old 09-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
I bought my Wilderness at Aquabatics, Calgary. Very friendly and informed staff.
They are great there. I have been working with them for a few years on growing their Fishing Kayak side and will be doing a few clinics next year with them as well.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:20 AM

That would be awesome Mike.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:13 AM

Mike, I would like to attend the workshop so please keep me in mind. Thanks. Pretty new to this so all the tips would be great
Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Old Dog. On Sept 20th a bunch of us are getting together at Battle Lake for a last big Kayak Fishing Get Together. You should come out. You could meet a bunch of the guys and have good time. Lots of people there would be happy to give suggestions etc.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 PM

Would love to but visiting friends back in Nfld. A long time hunting / fishing partner that decide to move back to Nfld after being an Albertan for 20 years