Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Has anyone ever tried braided line on a kids closed face reel with the thumb button? My kids are 5 and 8 and I still have them using the closed faced reels for this year. I’ll probably move them to open faced next year.

The gentleman at the fishing hole said that closed face thumb button reels don’t work very well with braid so I’ve been running 10-12lb mono for the kids. Is this true about the braid on these reels? Braid wasn’t even invented or at least wasn’t readily available the last time I owned a reel like that so I have no experience trying it.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
Has anyone ever tried braided line on a kids closed face reel with the thumb button? My kids are 5 and 8 and I still have them using the closed faced reels for this year. I’ll probably move them to open faced next year.

The gentleman at the fishing hole said that closed face thumb button reels don’t work very well with braid so I’ve been running 10-12lb mono for the kids. Is this true about the braid on these reels? Braid wasn’t even invented or at least wasn’t readily available the last time I owned a reel like that so I have no experience trying it.
I put it on my my kid's rods and on my niece's and nephew's rods and in my opinion braid works FAR better than mono. The pins catch the line every bit as well, and the biggest factor is that the braid results in WAY less line twist and line memory problems compared to mono. It casts farther and easier than mono, and it's also stronger, which can be a big advantage when shore fishing with kids. It was one of the best things I've done to increase their (and my lol) enjoyment of fishing.

As far as braid, I use 10lb Power Pro Super Slick pretty much exclusively. Smooth, easy casting, abrasion resistant, and silent through the guides. I've never felt I needed to go any heavier than 10lb, the actually breaking strength is much closer to 17-18 lb line if you're using a palomar knot. The only exception for me is I use 10/4 Fireline on my trolling setups so I can compare as accurately as possible to the Precision Trolling data.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinman22 View Post
HMX is not exactly a high end rod
That was precisely my point.

I'd say a HMX is a mid market stick at best. It does not use Fuji guides.

These are the rods the kids fish with for hours upon hours and make millions of casts.

You put spider wire on this and it will saw through it in no time.

I have half dozen rods like this for kids or guests.

I don't put my kids into a position to break something like one of my sticks so I have nothing to be upset about when they bring the rod back missing the tip or with a bent up guide.

I learned this lesson a few years ago when I took a guy out from work and handed him a G Loomis and he decided to throw it around the boat like it was an ugly stick.

Last edited by EZM; 05-28-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I put it on my my kid's rods and on my niece's and nephew's rods and in my opinion braid works FAR better than mono. The pins catch the line every bit as well, and the biggest factor is that the braid results in WAY less line twist and line memory problems compared to mono. It casts farther and easier than mono, and it's also stronger, which can be a big advantage when shore fishing with kids. It was one of the best things I've done to increase their (and my lol) enjoyment of fishing.

As far as braid, I use 10lb Power Pro Super Slick pretty much exclusively. Smooth, easy casting, abrasion resistant, and silent through the guides. I've never felt I needed to go any heavier than 10lb, the actually breaking strength is much closer to 17-18 lb line if you're using a palomar knot. The only exception for me is I use 10/4 Fireline on my trolling setups so I can compare as accurately as possible to the Precision Trolling data.
Thanks for the info. I'll put some powerpro on for the kids.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post

There is/was only one or two closed face reels compatible with braid to my knowledge. One an Abu Garcia Abumatic 1276SLi SuperLine Spincast Reel which is no longer made and a Zebco® Omega® Pro Braid Spincast Reel, also no longer made. The braid cuts the pickup pins etc. so is certainly not ideal for this reel style.

I would stick with the mono for now.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
There is/was only one or two closed face reels compatible with braid to my knowledge. One an Abu Garcia Abumatic 1276SLi SuperLine Spincast Reel which is no longer made and a Zebco® Omega® Pro Braid Spincast Reel, also no longer made. The braid cuts the pickup pins etc. so is certainly not ideal for this reel style.

I would stick with the mono for now.
I could see that being an issue with Spider Wire or the original Power Pro. Those lines are quite abrasive and could potentially wear out the plastic line pick up pins on the cheaper reels.

I've had no issues using the Power Pro Super Slick on the Zebco 33 and Daiwa Underspin reels the kids are using. They don't see endless hours of day in and day out use, but they've been going strong for several years now "kid use".

It works amazingly well on the Zebco Omega Pro that my mom insists on using lol.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:45 PM

You let your mom use a Zebco. A man of your stature should be ashamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
I could see that being an issue with Spider Wire or the original Power Pro. Those lines are quite abrasive and could potentially wear out the plastic line pick up pins on the cheaper reels.

I've had no issues using the Power Pro Super Slick on the Zebco 33 and Daiwa Underspin reels the kids are using. They don't see endless hours of day in and day out use, but they've been going strong for several years now "kid use".

It works amazingly well on the Zebco Omega Pro that my mom insists on using lol.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:13 PM

palomar
Old 05-30-2018, 05:31 AM

Power Pro all the way. Great line!!

BH

Old 05-30-2018, 01:05 PM

So, thanks to this thread, I've spooled up one reel with 10lb mono as a Pike/trolling rod. I spooled up another reel (they're both Pleuger Trion's) with 10lb Power Pro Slick for finesse jigging and topwater bass tossin'. Going to test 'em both out this weekend in Manitoba's Nopiming PP. Really curious to see how it all works!

Thanks again for all the tips and tricks, gang!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post
So, thanks to this thread, I've spooled up one reel with 10lb mono as a Pike/trolling rod. I spooled up another reel (they're both Pleuger Trion's) with 10lb Power Pro Slick for finesse jigging and topwater bass tossin'. Going to test 'em both out this weekend in Manitoba's Nopiming PP. Really curious to see how it all works!

Lol.....me thinks the Mono rod will quickly be tossed aside. It's not even remotely a fair comparison. May as well put a 1700's musket up against a .50 McMillian Tac..
Old 05-31-2018, 06:13 PM

Tried most of the popular brands and like Power Pro the best. Fireline is good when it is new, eventually it will start wearing off and won't last as long as Power Pro. Sufix is ok, just nothing special compared to Power Pro.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 PM

If your reels like to twist line like most closed faces do your going to have a hopeless knot with that 10 lbs braid. Been there.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:57 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppa View Post

In order to run a fair test run both over a complete season....power pro slick will have the nod at the end.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-01-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Hi Vis Power Pro?

I'm line shy when it comes to hi vis lines because I believe that fish can be line shy..........what do you think?

Power Pro Hi Vis yellow?

Am I being too cautious?

I' thinking of converting to 10# or 15# power pro on my open face spinners and I'm thinking the least vis as opposed to hi vis. What is the least vis colour in the Power Pro selection?
Old 06-01-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I'm line shy when it comes to hi vis lines because I believe that fish can be line shy..........what do you think?

Power Pro Hi Vis yellow?

Am I being too cautious?

I' thinking of converting to 10# or 15# power pro on my open face spinners and I'm thinking the least vis as opposed to hi vis. What is the least vis colour in the Power Pro selection?
Least visible line depends on where you fish. Clear vs murky lake/river etc. See following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-yqvoejis

I have yellow on one reel and like he says any line will catch fish. A fluorocarbon leader(must with any braid line imo) makes the line invisible by the lure and I don't think most fish are line shy to the point they will avoid it.

I do like to use a longer leader if fishing really clear water as I figure it may help but I don't know if it really makes much difference.

Look at most fly lines, much larger then braid and usually fairly visible and being used for the most line shy spookiest species(trout). If they work with a shorter leader(like most guys use for trolling sinking lines) then any braid will.