Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
wadeseward

Default PIKE BOILS

Fished Lake Newell today and had lots of aggresive,non-legal pike, missed lots. I did however land a 23"ish pike that had a 1"'round Boil about 6" from its tail, I have pics (I just have to figure out how to upload?) It looks just like an unready pimple (red/pink with no head) and stands out about a 1/2" I was by myself so a couple of the pics will be blurry I wasn't sure putting it back was a good idea but I sure didn't need that trouble if it was just a teenaged fish with a pimple... I was just trolling to see if anyone knew about this before trying to post pics.

PS I found the bite good (small pike) and my neighbors are seeing lots of white fish on there Aquaview... Is anyone else fishing Newell? Reminder the Kiwanis Derby is The Family Day Long Weekend Tickets $30

PSS Also posted on Ice Shanty (hope thats OK)
Old 02-08-2007, 12:46 AM
lethalconnection

Quote:
PSS Also posted on Ice Shanty (hope thats OK)
No thats not ok. Get out now your not allowed on this board anymore you have just been banned............................................ ..........

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol nah just playin, but congrats on the day of fishin, im hopin to get out for some pike before the end of the season again.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 AM
moosefever

Hey there Wadeseward. Not sure if this is the same thing or not, but a few years ago we would catch pike at Buffalo lake quite regularly with these marks on them. We were informed by Fish & Wildlife that it was a tumor of some sort and if we just cut that part of we could still consume them. I believe the marks were more on the back half of the fish and most were about the size of a loonie and stuck out about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. They were sort of a pinkish-orange color to them. We never kept any of them for fear of the unknown.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM
wadeseward

Here are my "Boil" pics
Old 02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
dodger

Seen the exact same on Pike in Little Bow Res. about 2 years ago. Was told there ulcers from stress because of a high population.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
boil

Default boil

ive been fishing newell alot this winter just about every weekend looking for that perfect spot for the derby next weekend.but ya ive come across a few of these pike with simalar marks i thought it might be a form of cancer but not sure i just don,t eat them.maybe see ya out there for the derby i fish just off the boat lauch and to the right i have to atv one red and one dark green 660 grizzlys come over say hello.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:42 PM
boils

Default boils

The ones in Little Bow couldn't have been because of strees from too many pike because 2 years ago there were barely any pike in there!
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 PM
dodger

Default Re: boils

The information on the boils on Pike in Little Bow came from the biologist for southern Alberta. He does all the monitoring in the Lethbridge area that is where he is stationed. He answers to the environment minister.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:50 PM
jrs

Default Re: boils

I'd say its a good theory. Mine would be injury from other pike and then infection. When CPR used to be loaded i caught pike with similar markings but larger as they were proportionally smaller. (make sence? maybe not) Anyway, i caught many with teeth marks from larger pike and some of the attacked pike weighed 10-12 pounds. I don't think it hurts the flesh but you should always cook pike fully anyway (tapeworms). I know theres another fungus pike get in those water bodies in the summer where they appear fuzzy. I'd never eat one but i believe they perish as you'll often see them washed up days later in same area. I think its due to the warm rich water.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:54 PM
re

Default re

Dodger, I know you know your stuff, the biologist for southern alberta obviously doesn't know what he is talking about and if you talk to him again, ask him how he came to this conclusion! no offense dodger but I think this guy needs to start doing a better job for all of the lakes around southern alberta. No wonder everything is getting messed up!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
dodger

Default Re: re

The c.o. in Vulcan gave me his e-mail address to find out about the infected Pike. After e-mailing him he responded by telling me the Perch in Sherburne were starting to grow the same (ulcers) problem. He explained that when the fish population becomes stronger than the food supply it stresses the fish and these ulcers can appear. Some fish die and some recover depending on the supply of food. The Perch in Sherburne recovered quickly and there was no longer a food source problem. His job as he described to me was monitoring plant growth in the lakes and watching oxygen supplies. I may still have his e-mail address somewhere in my tackle box or his name if anybody has more reports about south AB. lakes.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM
response

Default response

It would make sense that the pike in little bow were running out of food. We used to catch them all the time with full bellys of baby lyng, I remember one was spat up on the ice still wriggling around, then they started to have nothing or the odd perch inside. It is weird that the lake suddenly got kinda crappy. I did however land a 5 pound walley there last year on a jig and minnow right in the canal through the ice. Whats his email?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 PM
jrs

Default Re: response

"Dodger, I know you know your stuff, the biologist for southern alberta obviously doesn't know what he is talking about and if you talk to him again, ask him how he came to this conclusion! no offense dodger but I think this guy needs to start doing a better job for all of the lakes around southern alberta. No wonder everything is getting messed up!"

Try working on his budget and see how you can do. Factor in low amounts of policing, high amounts of unregulated harvest, and more anglers on many of these lakes and you can see why they may be suffering. For Littlebow there is still a pretty dense population in certain parts, big and little pike. Theres still decent schools of little perch as well. I have come to understand why some fisheries lack info and resources. Nothing against you Buckkrazy, just another point of view. If you get a account i could pm you a few interesting things in the area. Good fishing!
Old 02-09-2007, 02:28 PM
dodger

Default blisters

JRS you can e-mail my account on any info you have. I am always looking at comments when lake in southern AB are concerned.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
jrs

Default Re: blisters

Sounds good, whenever i get new stuff i can share it. Hope you have some better luck next time out at the lakes in the area.