Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-10-2008, 09:07 AM

Default Homemade targets/backstops

Has anyone made a target or backstop? I realize that store bought targets like the Cube and such aren't overly expensive but the costs add up if you want to buy a few of them. I'd like to make my own mini version of a 3D course.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM

I got a dump truck load of fine sand. Shot broadheads into it for years now cheap and portable. Spray Round up and "fluff it up" each year.
Probably not what yer after but it works ...chain
Old 04-10-2008, 10:17 AM

there are many ways...

Easiest backstop is to stuff a burlap sack with shrink wrap.

But when you look at what is available commercially it is pretty easy to buy good targets!.. which are basically burlap bags taffed with shrink wrap!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:18 AM

I think Trav could point you to some good, inexpensive, commercial targets!...
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 AM

Nope............have the cubes and regular 3D deer targets........but like you see on some 3D ranges.............hay bales can make good homemade targets.............plastic bags/plastic wrap stuffed into grain/seed bags works too.

Oh yeah.........many years ago I did make some SUBSTANTIAL targets......you still see them in indoor ranges.......they don't weather to well (rain kills them)...........I'm talking targets made of tentest cut into 8" strips and sandwiched in between 2 X 8's. I recall cutting tentest on a table saw and making a substantial mess with all the dust lol. Sandwich the tentest vertically between 2 X 8's and compress them with threaded rods. You can use these outside........but keep them tarped from the rain.

What is tentest?...........it's a particle board sold in 4 X 8 sheets......buy the stuff that doesn't have a black (tar) coated surface. This used to be common in house construction.....not any more........but it's still sold in lumber stores.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:30 AM

the Tentest targets are very durable but not carbon arrow friendly!...

They stick and are hard to pull!..
Old 04-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Yes......not limp wrist friendly ...........use of an arrow puller is highly recommended and residue from friction sticks to your arrows...........don't compress the target too much and it does get easier to pull arrows after using it for a while.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:35 PM

This may sound crazy, But ya know those memory foam mattresses....Well they work wonderfully. I saw one being thown out, So I cut it if half and took it home for my kids shoot in the basement. got jealous of watching and pulled out my bow. It stopped mine too, no problem. Maybe find out where they are sold. If a customer returns one they can't be re-sold at most places. Maybe if they are thrown it in the garbage you may get it from them??? just a thought any how.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Cool!... i will have to try that!...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:56 PM

Hey, thanks for the ideas. A guy from work also suggested an old sack of old clothing and rags.

The pressed wood chip idea would make a good back stop and the memory foam, I'm going to try.

Does the sand damage and scratch up carbon arrows?
Old 04-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Ehntr, we've done the exact same thing, except with cardboard we snagged for free. About 10" deep and 4'X4' held together with 2x4's and threaded rods. Heavier then hell, but the arrows seem to come out pretty easy. DO NOT GET IT WET!

Tree
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Archery Target

I have stuffed large burlap sacks with old clothes and rags and it works great. I made two and my total cost was $2.00 for the burlap sacks at UFA. The best part is you can pull your arrow out very easy!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 PM

Not a bit.
All I shoot is broadheads. I wet the sand to pack it...and put a bucket of water near to swish the sand off. shoot again..All my foam targets are hard on vanes and broadheads have to be spun off to remove...HH chain
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM

Chain, that's pretty cool. What would you say your penetration depth is in terms of distance shot? Does it dull the sh*t out of your broadheads or what?

I'm just looking at the sandbox I built for the kids in the backyard and thinking!

Tree
Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Chain, that's pretty cool. What would you say your penetration depth is in terms of distance shot? Does it dull the sh*t out of your broadheads or what?

I'm just looking at the sandbox I built for the kids in the backyard and thinking!

Tree
Yah The bh's are shined right up and dull but the carbons look perfect.
I shoot 72lbs> 300 radial weave>100 muzzy@284fps. Some shots go into the vanes if you hit a previous hole but most 3/4 to half shaft. I can shoot unlimited distance as well, its a great renewable back stop. I like to target shoot what I hunt with so broadheads get changed out and giver.

Tree the kids and nieghborhood cats will luv ya...do it!..chain
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM

i was hunting grouse last year with my bow and saw a plastic bag hanging near the bottom of a tree around 40 yards.I had judos on my arrows so i let one fly.BANG! it made the cooliest BANG iv`e ever heard without harming the arrow.It just dropped a couple feet behind with the bag on it.Not realy cool if the bag is up high in the tree but i put the bag up a few more times cuz the sound it made was cool. Kind of dumb story but if you got judos try it with a back stop it fun.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M70 View Post
Hey, thanks for the ideas. A guy from work also suggested an old sack of old clothing and rags.

The pressed wood chip idea would make a good back stop and the memory foam, I'm going to try.

I use boxes of rags in a pinch too. Works very well. Just pick up a box at the local supply store and away you go!