Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Default Lake of the woods

Just thought I would throw this out there. Lake of the woods is a place I have always dreamed of fishing. I have driven through Kenora but never fished there.Anyone on here ever been to and fished the area? I guess it is one of those bucket list trips for me.Am I crazy or is it really great fishing?
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM

I was actually thinking about moving there. Excellent fishing, and ice fishing.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Just thought I would throw this out there. Lake of the woods is a place I have always dreamed of fishing. I have driven through Kenora but never fished there.Anyone on here ever been to and fished the area? I guess it is one of those bucket list trips for me.Am I crazy or is it really great fishing?
PM Chris K
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 PM

I lived just outside of Kenora for my first 20 years. Lake of the woods is a great fishing destination with many different species to catch. Also many smaller lakes in the area. There were days we went out and if there was already one boat on a lake we would drive a couple more minutes to the next lake. I still head back their as much as possible
Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Smile It is a very large lake!

My chum is a fisheries biologist and has a cottage on the lake, with live minnows (expensive as I recall) we went to a spot in the middle of the lake, and low and behold there was an underwater island (is that the right term?) and that was where the pickerel were.

I would recommend a guide. It is a beautiful place, as is much of our country.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:28 PM

being from Ontario originally left in 80 the one thing I really regret is not taking more advantage of the great fishing while I was there.I guess you never appreciate a good thing till you can't have it. maybe I will get to retire to northern Ontario ...hmmm
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM

Smile Heck it is not that far.

If you want to fish and don't mind roughing it a bit(black flies etc!) Quetico has some great canoe trips and you can easily live on fish.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:54 PM

Lake of the Woods is absolutely my favorite lake hands down. I love fishing there and make a point to get out there for a week every summer. The diversity for species, from small and largemouth bass, walleye, pike, muskie, lake trout, crappies, perch and whitefish is awesome, and so is the structure you can fish. Get out there! I know a few guides that are worth their weight in gold out there both in soft and hard water. The fishing around the lake is also incredible in other close waterbodies. I am going to have a cabin out there in the future and spend my summers out there, that's how much I like it!

Chris K
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 AM

Leaving cowtown june 25 for 2 weeks for 3rd year in a row. Taking my boat this time. Rent a cabin on an island about 15 minutes out of town. Private dock, beach, boat house.(very affordable) Wake up every morning around 6. Fishing by 6:15. Wife and kids sleep in and I come back to a nice breakfast! Even with a windy day, can always find a calm spot in the lake. Amazing diversity is right as a fishery! Told that this is the busiest safeway in Canada in the summer months. The safeway staff ties up your boat and carries your groceries to your boat as well. Cabin rentals can range from 1200-2500 week. As a family holiday can't go wrong.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM

Several years ago when my brother was living in Dryden, a bunch of us went for a visit. We rented a houseboat and toured the Lake for a week. Seemed like thousands of islands, you needed a good map reader back then, now GPS should handle it. The fishing was diverse and plentiful including Pike, Walleye and the odd Muskie....
Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 AM

No wonder why lake of the woods is so great it's because it is named after me Jwood. (JK) Just couldn't resist...

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.