Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 PM

Default Fly Rod For Pike

I am looking to try flyfishing for Pike and was wondering what weigh of fly rod to buy? The guy at the store figured an 8wt would do but I am looking for a second opinion. Also would appreciate any info on what to use for a leader.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 PM

9 or 8 weight is ideal and you want a wire leader
Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 PM

A St.Croix Rio Santo in an 9wt would be ideal.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:02 PM

7 weight is enough for me If you get a good 7 weight rod you could run 8 weight line on it(only if the rod can handle it) for better casting distance
Old 04-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Thanx for the input. Is there any advantage to purchasing a 4pc rod over a 2pc?
Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 PM

A 4 piece is just easier to transport. A 2 piece is stronger and better action
Old 04-25-2011, 09:15 PM

I've busted 5 rods over the years that cost about 4 times what my back up rod is - an old ( my first!) 8wght Heddon Pal fiberglass rod!
When you are horsing them out of the weeds, when they smash the rod at the last second into the windshield trim, when they get you into tight cover, there is NO substitute for the power of glass!!!
I have used this rod for big bass, pike , Musky, lakers and walleye since I was 12.
I have re- guided it after a trip to the Baja in the salt, but it's still going strong!

Cat
Old 04-25-2011, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish@ View Post
A 4 piece is just easier to transport. A 2 piece is stronger and better action
2x,
If you are a traveler, a 4 piece may come in handy. But if you just stay around here, then 2 piece is superior.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplander View Post
9 or 8 weight is ideal and you want a wire leader
An 8 weight outfit is wholly sufficient for Northern Pike. I use 80 pound mono as a shock tippet, never had a Pike "bite me off" and have never used a wire leader. The mono will better turn over big Pike flies as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly Bugger View Post
An 8 weight outfit is wholly sufficient for Northern Pike. I use 80 pound mono as a shock tippet, never had a Pike "bite me off" and have never used a wire leader. The mono will better turn over big Pike flies as well.
X2!
I use Mason 40 lb mono, it's cheap and stiff, even turns over flies like those ridiculous big things like Dalhberg Mega Divers!

Cat
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM

As suggested, a 7 weight is fine (what I use), even a 6 is usable (and fun!) but an 8 weight is probably better for turning over big flies - which you want to use for Pike. However, as important as rod weight might be, more important (well, AS important) is line choice.

As you may know, fly lines come in different "tapers"; in other words they are built to throw different types of flies in different conditions. What you want for pike is a "Pike", "Clouser" or "Bass Bug" type of line. A line with an extreme weight forward design to turn over heavy or bulky (wind resistant) flies. A general purpose 8wt floating line will likely leave you disappointed. Scientific Anglers, Rio (my fave), Sage, Cortland, etc. all (IIRC) make appropriate lines.

Also, ensure the line is not a "sal****er" [ET read Salt Water] or "tropical" line (as is available for the Rio Clouser) as they are designed to be used in warm water (20 C+) water conditions, not our cold northern waters (rarely above 12 C or so) when we target fish like pike with the fly rod.

For the most part, a floating line (as mentioned) is all you will likely use for pike, and is a logical first purchase. Afterwards, or if blessed with $$$, a short sink tip or full sink line can open up new opportunities for targeting fish at other times of the year, besides spring. Another of my favourite lines is what we call a "slime line", which is a clear intermediate full sinking line. It does not sink fast (1.5 or so inches per second) but is fantastic on still waters (and moving). The clear line allows you to use fairly short leaders (<5 ft) to allow you to turn over big flies even though this is not an extreme weight forward line. Cortland and Rio (again, my fave) both make these lines, as well as other manufacturers I am sure - but I have no personal experience with them.

There is something different (and electric) about having a pike hammer a stripped fly that I just don't get from throwing hardware at them.

Have fun!

Last edited by Pudelpointer; 04-26-2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:55 AM

Myself I have a 6 weight that can be used for alot of different types of fishing, and when i want to fish for pike I just loop on a Pike leader onto my 6 weight line and never had a problem. The Pike leaders cone in little packages and and are easy to install.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 PM

I bought a 9 weight several years ago for sal****er fly fishing and it works great for throwing big/wet pike flies. if you ever plan on sal****er flyfishing i would consider a 9 or 10 weight that could be used for pike etc as well
Old 04-26-2011, 07:03 PM

7/8 wt 9/10 feet long
Old 04-26-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
As suggested, a 7 weight is fine (what I use), even a 6 is usable (and fun!) but an 8 weight is probably better for turning over big flies - which you want to use for Pike. However, as important as rod weight might be, more important (well, AS important) is line choice.

As you may know, fly lines come in different "tapers"; in other words they are built to throw different types of flies in different conditions. What you want for pike is a "Pike", "Clouser" or "Bass Bug" type of line. A line with an extreme weight forward design to turn over heavy or bulky (wind resistant) flies. A general purpose 8wt floating line will likely leave you disappointed. Scientific Anglers, Rio (my fave), Sage, Cortland, etc. all (IIRC) make appropriate lines.

Also, ensure the line is not a "sal****er" [ET read Salt Water] or "tropical" line (as is available for the Rio Clouser) as they are designed to be used in warm water (20 C+) water conditions, not our cold northern waters (rarely above 12 C or so) when we target fish like pike with the fly rod.

For the most part, a floating line (as mentioned) is all you will likely use for pike, and is a logical first purchase. Afterwards, or if blessed with $$$, a short sink tip or full sink line can open up new opportunities for targeting fish at other times of the year, besides spring. Another of my favourite lines is what we call a "slime line", which is a clear intermediate full sinking line. It does not sink fast (1.5 or so inches per second) but is fantastic on still waters (and moving). The clear line allows you to use fairly short leaders (<5 ft) to allow you to turn over big flies even though this is not an extreme weight forward line. Cortland and Rio (again, my fave) both make these lines, as well as other manufacturers I am sure - but I have no personal experience with them.

There is something different (and electric) about having a pike hammer a stripped fly that I just don't get from throwing hardware at them.

Have fun!
I am getting the exact same rod for pike 7 WT
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanx for all the great advice. When you guys are using the 40-80lb mono do you attatch it to a tapered leader or are you tying a 9Ft piece directly to the fly line?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:52 PM

I would assume they are tying it direct from the fly line, but it depends on how stiff the leader was. I use good old maxima for leaders - extra abrasion resistance and then tie on a short piece of Rio knottable steel tippet. Blood knot right to the maxima.

When tying leaders/tippets just make sure that the leader gets 'softer' as it gets closer to the fly, but with big pike flies you are not trying to get a soft landing so a straight (untapered=level) leader would work okay, just not ideal.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mish@ View Post
I am getting the exact same rod for pike 7 WT
It is a decent rod for the price. I can recommend it. I hope to have it break on a big pike one day, but so far it has held its own!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:01 PM

I tie my leader directly to the fly line, Jacks aren't what you would call leader shy, even in very clear water.
This one was caught with my Heddon and and one of my terminator flies about 20 years ago.
I tie the terminator on a "Fernandez style" modified 37140 Mustad, about a 3/0 size.....
Cat
Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM

I use a cheap st croix triumph for my pike rod, 9 foot 8 weight...it has tons of backbone and I can throw a heavy fly with it no problem...and if it breaks? warranty haha. I landed a 19 lb pike out of la ronge last year with that rod, no problem. (took me well into my backing though, which hardly ever happens around here)
Old 04-27-2011, 04:20 PM

I bought a 8wt. temple fork last year for that same purpose pike depending on what size of pike if its only in alberta 8 would be fine but if catching 40 plus inch pike maybe get a 9wt. And for leader have to use a wire leader rio has toothy critter leaders or find leaders just for pike with crimps on the end which work great no tieing required.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM

I have used an 8 weight temple fork for 5 years now. Great rod, never had any issues. Biggest pike on it so far is about 16 pounds. I want to get that
20+ pounder this year!! Pike on the fly is just awsome!!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:11 AM

I have an 8 wt which I intend to use in the salt too.