Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-09-2008, 07:46 PM

Longer ATA is not necessarily better , although generally more forgiving.
For a hunting bow a shorter ATA may be better as far as maneouverability ( geez that's a big word !! ) over the advantages of a longer ATA for forgiveness.
What kinda hunting will you be doing ?
Tree stands / ground blinds and still hunting in the bush will find a shorter bow a lot easier to handle.
Open country mulie / antelope with longer shots may find the longer bow a better choice.
Although I shot a 32'' and a 34'' side by side and found the 32'' more solid and stable.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
Although I shot a 32'' and a 34'' side by side and found the 32'' more solid and stable.
Which could have been a difference in draw length not axle to axle. As little as 1/8" will change how the pin floats in the sight picture so it may have been that the d/l on the 34" bow was either slightly longer or shorter resulting in a different hold. Target shooters fiddle with this all the time, shorter = tighter groups with sudden pin movements & longer = looser groups & slower pin motion.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Which could have been a difference in draw length not axle to axle. As little as 1/8" will change how the pin floats in the sight picture so it may have been that the d/l on the 34" bow was either slightly longer or shorter resulting in a different hold. Target shooters fiddle with this all the time, shorter = tighter groups with sudden pin movements & longer = looser groups & slower pin motion.
I guess that's a possibility....but the difference was quite noticable.
Both were same make , same DL and draw stops the same.
I was really surprised.
I guess that's why there's so many to choose from..... everyone's different.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Default new bow

hey there 7mm rem. mag. If you get a chance to be in red deer stop by the red deer archery center. They carry matthews, bowtech, diamond, pse and apa but they can get anything you need. They have a lanes to let you shoot any bow they have and if you have a budget in mind they will be able to find a bow and make a kit for it to keep you in budget. If you have any questions feel free to give them a call there number is 403-343-1153 their names are pat and john. They are located across from the kip scott dealer in the telebyte building.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM

Default Instict

I own the Instinct and I really like it. Bought from Cabelas with the full package for 600 dollars and it has worked really well for me and Sherwood Park is a dealer and can help you set it up if you want. I would recomend it and I did alot of research before I bought.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond k View Post
Bought from Cabelas with the full package ....

.....Sherwood Park is a dealer and can help you set it up if you want.
That's something I don't recommend. Buying it from a box store and then expecting a dealer to set it up. You should expect to pay for that kind of service and I honestly don't think asking $100 for setting up someone elses sale is out of line. In fact that's not enough!