Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 12:24 PM

Default Ban Ski's

Did you know there are more deaths per year due to skiing snowboarding and tobboganning then guns each year in Cananda? Why arent we banning SKi's?

Executive Summary

A total of 45 skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing related deaths dating from 1991 – 2012 were reviewed. Skiing was the sport involved in the majority of fatalities, (34 cases, 76%), with tobogganing (6 cases, 13%) and snowboarding (5 cases, 11%) fatalities occurring less frequently.

In 35 of the cases, (78%), the decedent was male. The highest proportion of fatalities was among those aged 17 years or younger, (40%). Deaths occurred throughout the winter season from November to April; however, the majority of deaths occurred during the months of February and March with 17 cases (38%) and 16 cases (36%), respectively. On average, death was found to occur slightly more frequently on weekdays, with the highest number of occurrences on Wednesday through Friday (60%).

Those individuals classified as ‘highly experienced’ in their winter sport activity, through instruction and/or family reporting, had the highest fatality rate at 14 cases (31%). The majority of fatal incidents occurred during social-type outings with friends or family, in 37 cases (82%). Five fatalities (11%) occurred during a school organized event, two incidents occurred in other scenarios (4%) and one case (2%) was during a competitive event.

In 24 of the cases (53%), death occurred due to collision with a tree or multiple trees. Medical care and/or surgery was performed in 30 cases (67%) and death was most frequently pronounced in hospital (37 cases, 82%). Alcohol and/or drug use, by the deceased, confirmed via post-mortem testing, was a factor in seven cases (15%). The most frequent cause of death was head injury (22 cases, 50%) followed by multiple injuries (13 cases, 30%). The use of a helmet was confirmed in 11 cases (24%)

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engli...th_review.html

Gun deaths 1.97 per year

https://www.google.ca/search?q=guin+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

OOPS its even worse than I thought these are only statistics for Ontario not all of Canada. Its even worse than I thought we really need to do something about this. I need to go to facebook and post this so i can virtue signal.

Last edited by markg; 11-08-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:41 PM
Banned

More people get dead or kill others texting while driving than impaired . 4 people a day die in B.C. from drug overdoses. So what`s your point?
Old 11-08-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
Did you know there are more deaths per year due to skiing snowboarding and tobboganning then guns each year in Cananda? Why arent we banning SKi's?

Executive Summary

A total of 45 skiing, snowboarding and tobogganing related deaths dating from 1991 – 2012 were reviewed. Skiing was the sport involved in the majority of fatalities, (34 cases, 76%), with tobogganing (6 cases, 13%) and snowboarding (5 cases, 11%) fatalities occurring less frequently.

In 35 of the cases, (78%), the decedent was male. The highest proportion of fatalities was among those aged 17 years or younger, (40%). Deaths occurred throughout the winter season from November to April; however, the majority of deaths occurred during the months of February and March with 17 cases (38%) and 16 cases (36%), respectively. On average, death was found to occur slightly more frequently on weekdays, with the highest number of occurrences on Wednesday through Friday (60%).

Those individuals classified as ‘highly experienced’ in their winter sport activity, through instruction and/or family reporting, had the highest fatality rate at 14 cases (31%). The majority of fatal incidents occurred during social-type outings with friends or family, in 37 cases (82%). Five fatalities (11%) occurred during a school organized event, two incidents occurred in other scenarios (4%) and one case (2%) was during a competitive event.

In 24 of the cases (53%), death occurred due to collision with a tree or multiple trees. Medical care and/or surgery was performed in 30 cases (67%) and death was most frequently pronounced in hospital (37 cases, 82%). Alcohol and/or drug use, by the deceased, confirmed via post-mortem testing, was a factor in seven cases (15%). The most frequent cause of death was head injury (22 cases, 50%) followed by multiple injuries (13 cases, 30%). The use of a helmet was confirmed in 11 cases (24%)

Gun deaths 1.97 per year

OOPS its even worse than I thought these are only statistics for Ontario not all of Canada. Its even worse than I thought we really need to do something about this. I need to go to facebook and post this so i can virtue signal.

Clever .... lets look at how many deaths there are globally that are tied to different religions ... lets ban Religion instead.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Clever .... lets look at how many deaths there are globally that are tied to different religions ... lets ban Religion instead.
Should have done that thousands of years ago.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:52 PM

Default Athiest win this one hands down

Quote:
Have a look at secular regimes like Stalin and Mao that professed to be atheist and there death counts and compare it to those killed by all the worlds religions and it isnt even close.

How about we think of it this way, bad people do bad things and its bad people control that we need not thing control.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:

How about we think of it this way, bad people do bad things and its bad people control that we need not thing control.
Too hard to comprehend. Easier to implement nanny state.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:55 PM

Default oops

ooops responded to wrong message
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM

Skiing is so far down the list of fatalities that it isn't worth bothering with. Why not go after the leading cause of preventable death ion Canada?

http://www.smoke-free.ca/factsheets/...kingdeaths.pdf
Old 11-08-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Have a look at secular regimes like Stalin and Mao that professed to be atheist and there death counts and compare it to those killed by all the worlds religions and it isnt even close.

How about we don't have this discussion. The world and religion have been around a long time.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Should have done that thousands of years ago.
Don't worry, pretty sure that's coming down the pipe soon enough... It's a Fair Exchange, after all...
Old 11-08-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Gun deaths 1.97 per year

So you think only two people are shot and killed in Canada per year? have you gotten a jump on the pot legalization??? You have to be high.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:

Executive Summary

Gun deaths 1.97 per year

If you are trying to make an amusing post to support gun ownership - you might want to work on your basic math. You won't win over many neutrals with such basic mistakes.

Your gun reference is 1.97 per 100,000 population which works at as about 700 deaths per year for Canada
Old 11-08-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So you think only two people are shot and killed in Canada per year? have you gotten a jump on the pot legalization??? You have to be high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
If you are trying to make an amusing post to support gun ownership - you might want to work on your basic math. You won't win over many neutrals with such basic mistakes.

Your gun reference is 1.97 per 100,000 population which works at as about 700 deaths per year for Canada
Lol.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post

And on average, about 80% of those are suicides.

But even at 700, that is about 1.6% of the number of deaths every year due to smoking.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:50 PM

Yeah, I picked that up as well ..... comparing a total incident frequency versus incident frequency rate makes this argument grossly inaccurate.

Guns kill far more people than skis .......

I wonder if they did statistics on people who have been killed skiing, with a gun whilst smoking .......... now that would be an interesting read .......
Old 11-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yeah, I picked that up as well ..... comparing a total incident frequency versus incident frequency rate makes this argument grossly inaccurate.

Guns kill far more people than skis .......

I wonder if they did statistics on people who have been killed skiing, with a gun whilst smoking .......... now that would be an interesting read .......
And texting. Skiing, with a gun, whilst smoking and texting. Pretty sure anyone who does that has a 100% chance of dying. Like the rest of us.

If you add up all the things I do that will make me die (like drinking alcohol and coffee, having a cigar etc), apparently my chances of dying top out at over 300%! I guess there is no getting around it. Yup. I'm going to die.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-08-2017, 02:01 PM

OK, so let's accept that guns and skiing both cause death...

This needs to be banned immediately:

Old 11-08-2017, 02:03 PM

Default My mistake

My numbers of gun deaths are in fact wrong. I just noticed that it is per xyz deaths per 100K

Hey when your a social justice warrior trying to save people from the scourge of SKi dangers its about the heart strings not the facts. Damn you and your logic and truth.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:04 PM

Default Dear Okie

After seeing that photo i think i need a safe space.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:28 PM

One thing holding back progress regarding “gun stuff” is that rather than keeping the focus on “gun related things” ... is the attempt to deflect by introducing “ban ski’s / cars / smoking / texting...”. End result is no result.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And texting. Skiing, with a gun, whilst smoking and texting. Pretty sure anyone who does that has a 100% chance of dying. Like the rest of us.

If you add up all the things I do that will make me die (like drinking alcohol and coffee, having a cigar etc), apparently my chances of dying top out at over 300%! I guess there is no getting around it. Yup. I'm going to die.

SOOOO if you lay off the booze, smokes phones , skiing with a gun does that mean there's a 300% chance you won't die?

I've often wondered,well not really often I suppose, but I've wondered if you exercise it extends your like 15% and a proper diet could extend it another 30% and good sleep habits and etc. etc. How come folks still die. Have the scientists been lying to us?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 11-08-2017, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

Executive Summary

Gun deaths 1.97 per year

I'm guessing that 1.97 number would be per 100,000 people, not total?.
Remember, there's lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:01 PM

Default your right

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
I'm guessing that 1.97 number would be per 100,000 people, not total?.
Remember, there's lies, damn lies, and then there's statistics.
I made a mistake on that you are correct.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:36 PM

The root cause of dying is living. Ban life. End death.

Boom...
Old 11-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Did they do it in the name of atheism or their political philosophies? False equivalency.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:55 PM

Instant Classic.

I'll take a knee for this thread.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:28 AM
Banned

What are the stats on people getting killed WITH ski equipment?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
What are the stats on people getting killed WITH ski equipment?

Classic!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Default Luaghs

Well I hope you all had a couple of luaghs with this thread. Some of them Likely at my expense due to my mistaken stats and my foolishness.

I guess I was trying to use humor to make a point about human nature and gun culture by contrasting it against another hobby that many Canadians enjoy. Lots of people would be very upset if you took away there right to ski or snowboard. My point was we as gun owners would feel the same if you takeaway our firearms from us.

I failed at this task miserably. Just hope people had some luaghs. Typing on a phone so my grammar and spelling are likely brutal.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:01 AM

It's all good, markg - glad you have sense of humor.

We all need that, on and off this forum.