Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-15-2010, 12:50 AM

Default Fort McMurray Fishing

Hey there fellow fishermen, Im new to alberta fishing and living in Fort Mac.

I have fished much of the waters in BC, but im finding myself completely out of it here in alberta, quite a different set of fishing skills vs those needed in BC..

First off I was wondering about poplar creek at the bottom of supertest, I have made one attempt at making it to the mouth of the river by following the creek on the south side, I made it about a couple of km in on the trail and was met with swamp and bush that was pretty much impassable. Is it easier to get there via the north edge of the creek before I waste my time? or is there some other way to get to the river/creek mouth?

I was also interested in any other creeks or rivers in the area that provide a decent days fishing? Im interested in fishing the athabaska but im unsure as to where I would do so and what lures/bait/technique to use. Im set up with a decent fly rig, and spin casters, but most of what I carry is directed at brookies and rainbow. I see alot of people hanging out at the bridge to nowhere but I dont often see anyone pulling anything in there.

Recently some friends and I decided to try camping at gregoire and ended up doing a little fishing, I ended up catching a few decent sized pike, didnt realise how easy they could be to catch, but they seemed very streaky, sometimes biting at everything, sometimes at nothing. Can anyone share their techniques for fishing these waters with an alberta newbie?

Thanks guys.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:58 AM

i used to live in FtMac and i fished down town on the clear water river in the snye park where the float planes take off. I caught a few decent walleye there. There is also a good spot on the athabasca by the water treatment plant, both spots are fairly busy though.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 AM

I noticed the spot down near the water treatment plant, but with the new bridge construction I havent seen anyone in that area this spring or summer, im not sure if maybe the construction and daming of the area messed with the fish habitat or not.

What did you normally use to catch them in those areas?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:11 AM

The spot im talking about is around the bend in the river, i think you go down the water treatment plant road and follow it past the plant from there i think it should be easy to find. i never really used anything in particular just spoons, jigs, and spinners. Most people iv seen there were using pickerel rigs but i never liked to use them much. I'v also heard that there are some Arctic Grayling streams around Ft Mac if your into fly fishing i never got around to fishing for them though.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:14 AM

The regs say there are grayling in the clearwater and the athabasca, not sure what their numbers are like there though.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:38 AM

Hmm I will have to take a drive down to that spot this weekend and see what I can find =) thanks for your help, any other expertise in the area is still welcome.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:53 PM

for walk in fishing it's a little tougher. A jet boat helps a lot up here, but there are lots of spots. I see a lot of people fishing the clearwater on draper road. You go almost to the end, and on the left there is an old "C" can and a dock with some boats on it. There is a sand bar to the right of the dock and a drop off just down stream that's about 10 feet deep. I bounce a jig off the sand bar and drift toward the drop off and nail walleye in there sometimes.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron17 View Post
The regs say there are grayling in the clearwater and the athabasca, not sure what their numbers are like there though.
The best place to go for grayling are the hangingstone and the house river i think
Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Where abouts are those spots located?

I nailed my first 2 Walleye today on a short trip down near waterways, maybe 1.5-2 lb each, lots of fun to catch =)
Old 07-16-2010, 05:53 PM

i think that there is a day camp area on the hanging stone river just south of Fort Mcmurray on HWY 63. You might have to hike to find a decent spot though. Maybe pick up a Northern Alberta back road map book the help out alot when trying to find spots off the beaten path. i think they're about $25.00

Nice job catchin the walleye by the way.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:36 PM

there is lots of decent fishing around fort mac. the popular creek athabasca mouth you have to follow the trail on the north side of the creek will bring you right down to the mouth. can catch lots of walleye,pike,goldeye there

also can catch artic grayling in the creek itself. small spinners or fly fishing.

the snye (clear water river) is also good spot to go fishing all tough its ussaly pretty busy there.

the water treatmeant plant ussaly decent fishing there all year. early early spring right after break up some big walleye can be caught there. biggest this spring for us was 9lbs with lots in the 4-7 lb range. the fall is also suppose to produce some big walleye.

gregiore lake. has an abduance of small pike and few that get up near 10 lbs havent caught to many bigger then 7lbs out there myself. walleye action is not to bad either. biggest caught there for myself was 4 lbs.

and if you are into fly fishing there are a couple grayling streams around town. the hangingstone which i have only fished once but caught lots of small grayling in.

fort mckay river out by the bridge to no where is supoose to have them too. never really fished it much myself.

there are a couple stocked rainbow trout ponds not to far from town. with engstrom lake being the biggest and most productive. its about 60km south on highway 881. not sure exact km thats a rough guess.

if you have any questions about these places shoot me a message and i will anwser what i can about them.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:46 PM

Oh ya, I forgot about Engstrom. While you are headed in htat direction, Winifred and Christina are very good also.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:06 PM

Thanks for all the replies =)

I have 2 days off starting tomorrow and I think I wanna spend them fishing, so im going to give the water treatment plant a go and maybe do a day trip either down to hanging stone or maybe try poplar again. Im still looking through everything I can to dial in what gear I should be looking at picking up and what techniques to use. Im really glad I found this message board so far its provided me with 2 fish

If anyone local is up for a day trip of any sort let me know, if im on days off im always up for a day of fishing and it would be good to watch someone who actually knows these waters fish.

When I get a chance ill post some pics of the 2 walleye I caught.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:26 PM

shifty if you have two days you should definitly try winefred. It is off 881 and is the best pike and walleye fishing around. Just inside the river mouth at the tent camp landing holds 7 to 12lb Walleye as well as Pike to 20lbs. Boats can be rented at the winefred lodge.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:31 PM

Roughly how far from fort mcmurray is it? Can I fish from shore is a boat a must?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:24 PM

winifred lake is about 150 km south on 881 then its another 70 km in dirt road. its not really a lake ur gonna do a day trip to. atleast i wouldnt. i have been there and stayed at the lodge which was very nice. as far as boat would be highly reccomended but if u stay at the lodge boat is provided with ur cabin/room atleast it was with the cabin we had.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 PM

havent been to winefred in at least 5 years, is the fishing gettn to be good again?
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 PM

talking to the people who run the lodge the lake has still not recovered to what it once was but its getting better each year and they say the F&W are there lots now enforcing all the rules trying to return it to the trophy lake it once was.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM

I see most of these posts are well over 2 years ago.

I went down to Gregoire Lake twice, first time got a good size pike right out of the bat (first cast), however that was the only one that day. Second day didn't get bites.

Have tried in several places on the Athabasca river:

1.- Right by the water treatment plant, had to leave, 2 bears swimming towards us.
2.- Right behind Walmart, seen some people fishing there, however I had no luck both times I went.
3.- Right behind my buildings, south of Franklin, right at the end.

So, in conclusion, 4 places, just 1 fish. I have gotten frustrated to the point I pretty much decided to quit fishing here in Alberta.

Can you guys help a fellow Angler in need?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexXx View Post
I see most of these posts are well over 2 years ago.

I went down to Gregoire Lake twice, first time got a good size pike right out of the bat (first cast), however that was the only one that day. Second day didn't get bites.

Have tried in several places on the Athabasca river:

1.- Right by the water treatment plant, had to leave, 2 bears swimming towards us.
2.- Right behind Walmart, seen some people fishing there, however I had no luck both times I went.
3.- Right behind my buildings, south of Franklin, right at the end.

So, in conclusion, 4 places, just 1 fish. I have gotten frustrated to the point I pretty much decided to quit fishing here in Alberta.

Can you guys help a fellow Angler in need?
flyfishing?
Old 08-11-2010, 02:42 PM

Was I fly fishing? No.

Just 2 regular rods, 10 lb and 20 lb line, small spinners, hoppers, fake worms with action tale, and because I thought it would work in the lake, float + weight + hook + live worms (at least for perch).

So yeah... have spent 3-5 hrs average in each spot mentioned above. Maybe I'm just not that lucky.

Have been reading about some spots on Fort Mcmurray fishing, and was tempted to go up to Poplar Creek. And maybe Egnstrom if I have some time.

I have no boat btw, can only do shore fishing.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:26 PM

Im right about at the same point as you, since the last fish I caught and mentioned on here I have yet to have a successful fishing trip. Tried water treatment plant, snye, poplar creek, hanging stone, only spot I havent tried but want to is the bridge to nowhere. I have some family coming up for a visit who really want to catch some walleye, but I am having one hell of a time trying to locate steady fishing.

I heard that fishing in this area slows down pretty bad during the summer and then picks up more towards the fall, is that true? or am I just doing it wrong?

Basically in the rivers I set up pickril rigs with 1oz -1.5 oz weights on the bottom and either frozen minnows, fake minnows or those preserved ones from walmart, I usually cast that out and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes, get bored and real in for another cast.

At hanging stone I brought some waders and started near the highway as I couldnt for the life of me find somewhere to park and walk to the creek from the camp site, I wandered up creek as far as I could without serious bush wacking, fishing every hole I could spot (mind you I forgot my fly rod...) and I could not for the life of me get a single bite. I tried live worm, fake worm, small spinners, flies ect..
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 PM

the most succesful way to fish the athabasca shore fishing i have always found was pickrel rig with either Minnows / worms / leeches. fishing in my opinion does slow down during july and august. shore fishing anyways. it will pick up again in the fall and big walleyes too. down past the water treatment is very good in the spring and fall. there normaly is alot of people fishing it tho,

as far as fishing the creeks / small rivers fly rod is the best way to go.

gregoire lake i have always caught lots of pike. never much size to them off shore. using mostly Number 2 Spoons len thompson five o diamonds never fails me lol

also i dont know how good the shore fishing would be at engstrom lake this time of year. i am willing to bet its very weedy right now and frustraing to fish.

ice fishing is when i hit up engstrom the most. anywhere up the right side of the lake 20-30 feet of shore. useing worms powerbait cheese. or my personal fav for rainbows in the winter. small pieces of shrimp
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 PM

If you have access to a boat.. head up the clearwater to the mouth of the Christina river.. some Big walleye and pike in that area..
Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
Im right about at the same point as you, since the last fish I caught and mentioned on here I have yet to have a successful fishing trip. Tried water treatment plant, snye, poplar creek, hanging stone, only spot I havent tried but want to is the bridge to nowhere. I have some family coming up for a visit who really want to catch some walleye, but I am having one hell of a time trying to locate steady fishing.

I heard that fishing in this area slows down pretty bad during the summer and then picks up more towards the fall, is that true? or am I just doing it wrong?

Basically in the rivers I set up pickril rigs with 1oz -1.5 oz weights on the bottom and either frozen minnows, fake minnows or those preserved ones from walmart, I usually cast that out and let it sit there for 10-15 minutes, get bored and real in for another cast.

At hanging stone I brought some waders and started near the highway as I couldnt for the life of me find somewhere to park and walk to the creek from the camp site, I wandered up creek as far as I could without serious bush wacking, fishing every hole I could spot (mind you I forgot my fly rod...) and I could not for the life of me get a single bite. I tried live worm, fake worm, small spinners, flies ect..
goto chezdube on 10102 Fraser Avenue, Fort McMurray ( my ex-wife's famly owns it) ://www.chezdube.com/ talk to Pallette.. if she still has her guide on staffhewill be glad to tell( even may show you) where the GOOD fishing is
that have/had a guide there because of all the big wigs from Suncor Energy Inc .
Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks redhead ill try and check him out next set off, start work again tomorrow.

Well I decided since today was my last day off id take another run at hanging stone, only to get out there and find out that A) 2 years of not casting a fly is a long time... you forget a lot. and B) The water level has risen almost 2 feet since the last time I was out there... Is this normal? there is not a spec of sand near the culverts, all the water is now running straight over the dams instead of doing the S turn down them, and the water is pretty much unfishable

Better luck next set I guess.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:33 AM

Well 2 days fished so far, tried out the fort mckay river, Muskey river, Athabaska near BTNW, Hanging stone and even gregoire lake, as well as ells creek on the way to CNRL.. Not a single fish seen let alone caught, aside from a smaller pike caught in the ells, I looked down as it swam out from some weeds and then stopped to sun itself, my dad tossed in a spinner and caught it on the 2nd cast.

Is this just a bad time of the year to fish or am I doing it wrong? We have tried every spinner I can think of, spoons, flies, jiggs and crocs, and so far we have seen no trace of a fish. This especially sucks as my family from BC are up for a visit and I really wanted to get my uncle his first Albertan fish while he was here.

Anyone up for taking a confused fisherman out for a trip to show him the ropes? Id like to think im a half decent fisherman but these waters are really taking it out of me :'(

Atleast we have been seeing some very beautifull areas of the country side, really enjoyed hiking down the McKay today, amazing area, and if I was a fish its where i would live....
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM

Have you tried pickeral rigs in the Athabasca yet? I am not from Fort Mac either but have done really well for Walleye and Goldeye with rigs and minnows. Not my favorite way to fish but is proving to be the most effective from shore.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM

Shifty
Let me know if it works for you but I might be able to meet you out there tonight.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

Yeah ill talk to the uncle and see if hes up for one last trip before he heads home tomorrow