Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 09:44 PM

Really awesome night out on the river tonight T.Gunn, had a blast and finally have some idea of what im doing out here, big thanks from a happy fisherman =) And 2 decent walleye is so much better then skunked.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:18 PM

No problem Shifty. Its always nice to help out a fellow angler who is as passionate about fishing as I am.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Glad to hear you had some success shifty. i have all but put away my fishing gear. cant wait for hunting on my next days off

now if you wanna know a couple spots to go shoot a few grouse if ur in hunting shoot me a pm
Old 08-25-2010, 02:47 PM

Yo Shifty / T.Guns, where did you guys go? and what did you use?

My Gf is here for another 2 weeks (lives in Edmonton), and I've seriously wanted to give her a nice fishing day.

If you guys are planing to go again, I would love to meet up and fish with you guys.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 AM

Sorry Nexx
I have already left Fort Mac and gone home to calgary. all we were using were pickeral rigs and minnows. Make sure you use at least 2 ounces of weight. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me and I will be happy to help.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:45 AM

It's fine T.Guns, funny I just got myself some nice minnows with dual action tails

Where did you guys go? and around what time? how was the tide? was there a lot or lil current?

I really want to give it a shot tomorrow. Hope you answer soon ><
Old 08-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Nexx pick yourself up some Pickrel rigs from wal-mart / canadian tire. and couple packs of weights. 1 or 2 oz packs if possible.

then go to Chows Varities buy a tub of frozen Minnows.

for a spot to fish try behind the old water treatmeant plant. if you dont know how to get there its not too hard to find. its on the thickwood side of bridge. soon as you cross the bridge if u were coming from downtown. take your first left follow that road you will drive right by the water treatment plant and onto gravel road. follow that to the river not far.

should have success there fishing like that even on a bad days fishing should get a couple walleyes or goldeyes
Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 AM

Thanks beermilk. I have done just as you instructed.

I Pmed T.Guns earlier today. He suggested I should do the same thing you just said.

Been looking at some pictures on how to properly pickerel rig my casting line, with the 2 oz weights I got.

Hoping once I catch the fish and start reeling, the weights won't get hooked on a rock.

I will take pics of my trip tomorrow morning (only plan to be there around 4 hours or so). I will be happy if I can just get 1 freaking fish

PS. Thanks for your help in answering these questions, and helping an angler in need :P . Really appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Good luck bud, I went back to the WTP the other day and caught a small walleye, Im planning a few trips up the highway to see if I can eak out some faster fishing on days off before the october rush.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:43 PM

I've been here for 4 years now, and from what I can see, may june...september october, are the times to go. Hey i have a little boat, and often when i want to go up the clearwater, i skip it because my friends are busy. If i feel like going up to the christina, but dont have a fishing buddy, i will pm you guys.

Just gotta be willing to help push off sandbars
Old 08-29-2010, 04:08 PM

Hey I live right on gordon avenue beside the clearwater, is fishing off shore any good there? Ive done some still fishing off the shore twice this summer there but only a few bites, nothing big. Would love to boat out there if anyone needs a fishin buddy around here, lookin for someone to hunt with too. 16 years old and just moved up here.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:37 AM

Pushing off sandbars is no real worry, if you need a fishing buddy and im off work look me up, im sure ill be happy to accompany.

Also I found the clear water to be very slow everytime I fished it. I had some luck up the hanging stone from the clear water, caught 5 nice decent walleye out of there on spinners.
Old 09-04-2010, 01:50 PM

Cleson and I headed down the clearwater in his boat yesterday for the day, and among a few goldeye, pike and walleye caught was this monster 5 lb 8 oz, good job Cleson. He caught 2 around this size one slightly smaller.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:57 PM

good times. glad you had fun. that doesn't look 5 lbs in the pic.
Old 09-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Shoulda lifted the dorsal fin and angled it a bit so you can see its belly
Old 09-08-2010, 04:11 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips, I have been up here for almost 5 years and have always headed south to fish or back to Lake of the Woods in Ontario where I am from, I will try out the Water Treatment Plant this set off.

Thanks

Bennett
Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Talking my special place

the winifred lake/river system has some monster pike and quite a few respectable walleye too. i'll try to load some pics of me holding up a 18 and 12 pound jackfish caught from the shore less than 15 minuets apart.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:08 PM

if you have a qaud try to make it to wher the christina river meets the clearwater wicked pike and walleye fishing there you can get acces from saprea creek estates