Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2011, 05:57 PM

you can only tail trout if there big enough 24 inches plus
iv also seen people do poor tailing jobs and also on TV...
if you cant do it dont try and do it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
Agreed. I thought the same thing when i read the title of your post. Here i thought you had some ground breaking "sure to catch tactics for everyday on the bow" to share!! Remember to stay humble. The Bow is a mighty big and at times unforgiving river, and you're bound to have many days ahead that she doesn't treat you quite so kindly. Never give in. Keep challenging yourself and try different tactics and methods. Break out the fly rod when you're ready and you'll add a whole new element to your fishing experience. Great Fish and thanks for posting the pics. Keep it up!!

Dace.
Oh come on i'm not trying to brag! I was just trying to state that i can now go to the bow and get a little bit more than weeds and sticks. now that i've been out a couple times the bow isn't as intimidating as i thought it was thats all i'm saying
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM

I found what works to combat that problem is get yourself a pair of gloves the scuba divers wear. Wholesale Sports has them. I can PM you the info when I find the receipt. They shed the water well, and keep your hands warm. Only one problem. They have small grippy's in the palm that make stripping line tough. But other than that. They work great. Excellent for spin fishing too.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
Oh come on i'm not trying to brag! I was just trying to state that i can now go to the bow and get a little bit more than weeds and sticks. now that i've been out a couple times the bow isn't as intimidating as i thought it was thats all i'm saying
Dace was just poking the bear...ignore him..lol
Your well on your way..keep up the good work. The Bow is a unique fishery for many reasons.....a enourmous amount of fish and a very high percentage of quality fish. The fish are very fisherman friendly almost to the point they can be called easy after learning the river.
keep up the good work
Old 04-19-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
you seroiusly havent herd of tailing trout? thats how most big trout and steelies are landed. not by net. you grab him by the tail support his belly and lift. its wayy better then fraying his fins in the net and gilling him.
Yea bud ive heard of it haha, but out of nowhere you just told the guy to tail his browns when theres no talk or picture of him tailing anything so assumably you must have been talking about the way he was holding his fish, and then described tailing as picking the fish up by the tail, which stretches the vertabrae as everyone knows. You also lose alot of fish trying to tail em, making it a rather unpopular method. Ever seen Gary Cooper try to tail a nice chinook on the saltchuck? Its rather hilarious.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 PM

haha yeah on Tv people loose there salmon when they tail it but works best for me if a flexi rod to get rid of the slack when he goes and a bigger fish to grip. i think the salmon are pretty hard to grip cause of there high stamina and heavey weight to conter balance people browns in the 23-30 inches are prime for this IMO.oh yeah and i said it because of the net he was using they frey the trouts fins. and nice browns BTW hunter
Old 04-19-2011, 06:30 PM

iv practised on walleye though in the summer so i got alot beter at and i can only say iv only lost mabe 1 eye form it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM

i know that i wouldve lost hundreds of big trout, chinook, and halibut if i didnt make proper use of the first landing opportunity. As far as im concerned, netting is better for the fish and the fisherman.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 PM

if you get a new net get a rubber one or a tightly stitched netting on your net
Old 04-19-2011, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
haha yeah on Tv people loose there salmon when they tail it but works best for me if a flexi rod to get rid of the slack when he goes and a bigger fish to grip. i think the salmon are pretty hard to grip cause of there high stamina and heavey weight to conter balance people browns in the 23-30 inches are prime for this IMO.oh yeah and i said it because of the net he was using they frey the trouts fins. and nice browns BTW hunter
My brain is hurting again....
Old 04-19-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DidsburyBowHunter View Post
no one has called you a braggart. i tried to choose my words to share with you as careful as i could so no offence was taken. guess i failed. i am extremely happy that there are still young guys like yourself and dustin in this world that would rather spend hours on the water than warping their minds in front of a video game console. i am also proud to say i have a young outdoor enthusiast living under my roof which is most likely no different then yourself.

Dace
Old 04-19-2011, 07:29 PM

i gave xbox up this year. i got a brand new one in my closet that hasent been open yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
no one has called you a braggart. i tried to choose my words to share with you as careful as i could so no offence was taken. guess i failed. i am extremely happy that there are still young guys like yourself and dustin in this world that would rather spend hours on the water than warping their minds in front of a video game console. i am also proud to say i have a young outdoor enthusiast living under my roof which is most likely no different then yourself.

Dace
hahaha don't worry i'm not offended. i understand what you were trying to say before. I'm still gonna have many days on the bow where ill want to toss my gear in the river in frustration. but with time there is gonna be fewer and fewer of those days, and more when i am pulling in beautiful big fish that this river has to offer
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 PM

Default May Fly fishing locations// Bow River or Crowsnest

Hello everyone,

I have gotten the flyfishing bug for the last couple of years and looking for good fly fishing locations on the Bow/Crowsnest or anywhere better during the first week of May to get to my happy place. Just recently separated from my significant other and I am sure as many of you can attest to find serenity on the river and hoping to catch fish in the interim.

Cheers

J
Old 04-28-2011, 08:18 PM

Sweet catch, keep up the browns!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 PM

Nice Fish!