Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM

It took me a while to get on to casting with mine but to me where it really shines is catching big fish. Trolling spoons for shallow lakers or casting for big pike in the shallows. The drags on these reels are a million times smoother than a spin cast.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 AM

Bait casters , to my mind, seem to work better for trolling, for heavy tackle, and for drag control.
Another thing is they are easier to maintain line on , spinning reel spools ten to twist line from what I have seen.

For lighter stuff I prefer spinning rods, and also for new kids.
For myself , if I'm going to fish with gear, I will choose a bait caster whenever I can, and it usually is about a 40 year old Abu or one of my 50's vintage Pfluegers , but only because i like to fish with that stuff!

You can't give my kid a baitcaster, it has to be a spinning rig!
Cat
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Gone Hunting

Real men use baitcasters and limp wrists tend toward the spinning reels

I fish with both. I really like the baitcaster for river fishing/bottom bouncing. I think I have more control and much faster than messing with a bale. For casting surface gear, again I prefer the baitcasters.

For fishing with no weight or maybe just a split shot, I prefer the spinning gear.

If you're fishing it' all good.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 04-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Real men use baitcasters and limp wrists tend toward the spinning reels

I fish with both. I really like the baitcaster for river fishing/bottom bouncing. I think I have more control and much faster than messing with a bale. For casting surface gear, again I prefer the baitcasters.

For fishing with no weight or maybe just a split shot, I prefer the spinning gear.

If you're fishing it' all good.
I guess when I realy started to get away from baitcasters was when I changed the way I fish. I mostly fish the Slave River and Slave Lake solo from a canoe. I have no problem using casting gear but things can get pretty hairy when fighting wind, current, and chop and this is when I realy appreciate spinning gear. When your trolling a crank tight to a cut bank full of sweepers and you need to change hooks the last thing you wanna do is fool around with your reel.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM

I tend to buy a casting setup targeting a specific technique. ie.... low profile caster 7' med rod extra fast tip . Is one of my river sets for wally.
I also have an identical spinning setup. I switch them up depending on the bite. I do however like the caster's size vs. line capacity. Jigging on the other hand I only ever use spinning gear for. Both methods have their strong points, I Guess it depends on how technique specific you want to be. I've never used my casting gear to work a slip bobber.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 PM

Just from my exp I found baitcasters shines when you are continuously casting; ie. using a crank bait. I can cast the lure back out much quicker and with much better accuracy. Especially when you are casting heavier lures, they are much easier and more effective to use. Haven't really used it for trolling so can't comment on that end.

This is also dependant on gear ratio of your reels, but I've heard in "general" that baitcasting reels have a higher gear ratio, so its easier when fighting larger fish. I think I heard this from a TV show on WFN a few weeks ago.

Also heard that a spinning reel allows you to cast further based on the way the line comes off the spool.

When it comes to lighter lures or jigs, spinning reels are definitely easier to cast and much more forgiving...which you probably know already.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I've used baitcasting gear quite a bit, spent 3 years using it almost exclusively and personaly I think that its advantages are often exagerated. The things that it does better than a spinning reel it only does a little bit better while the things that it does worse than a spinning reel it often does WAY worse. I do still own and use baitcasting gear but on a purely practical level its not going to make any great contribution to your fishing experience, I would strongly reccomend buying flyfishing gear befor baitcasting gear.

When do they shine? I like them for casting realy big baits and lures, I think you have a bit more control while casting. If they have a clicker I like them for fishing bait on a slip sinker, staying in contact with the bottom when drifting or trolling through an area with fluctuating depth is slightly more conviniant. That being said I can do all of these things pretty easily with spinning gear, where as trying to do somthing like cast jigs in a high wind while trying to control a boat is vastly more crappy with baitcasting gear.

If I was you I would ditch the low profile stuff since they pretty much do the same thing as spinning gear, but who knows maby you will realy love them.
X2.

I got cought up in the craze and bought a couple baitcasting rigs, I don't really like them and rarely use them. If you're using good quality spinning reels, the potential advantages in casting distance, drag, etc claimed for the baitcasters is very small if any. I didn't see any real advantage over my tried and true spinning gear, and certainly nothing that to my mind justified the learning curve or expense.

Spinning gear for me.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM

I use spincasters. Works great for any type of fishn. U don't need to have a dozen rods and 19 million lures to catch fish (as i know u know).
Sturg bite lite, I use 3oz weight MAX, usually 2-2.5 depending on current. They bite lite and if ya miss it, they may sit there, dormant for awhile, playing dead, they are smarter then they look!
Old 04-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
I use spincasters. Works great for any type of fishn. U don't need to have a dozen rods and 19 million lures to catch fish (as i know u know).
Here I disagree,
"Fishing is a little bit like golf. You can play a whole golf game with a driver, but you would play better with a full set of clubs. Same thing applies to fishing." - Dave Mercer

I have to agree with Dave, I was once a 1-rod guy, but then I started falling into different types of fishing and ended up with a few rods. My fish count has gone way higher in that time. I currently have 1 baitcasting rod, 2 spinning rods (M and M/L), and 1 fly rod.

Also having multiple lures is important to match the hatch. Not as much with aggressive fish like prairie pike, but more so with more finicky fish such as trout, char, goldeye, and even walleye.

Going to the original thread, I love baitcasters, they really shine with heavier gear. I have a Shimano Curado 200e7 and it really can handle some heavy gear. With the addition to the robust design, baitcasters cast much farther than spinning outfits.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
Here I disagree,
"Fishing is a little bit like golf. You can play a whole golf game with a driver, but you would play better with a full set of clubs. Same thing applies to fishing." - Dave Mercer

I have to agree with Dave, I was once a 1-rod guy, but then I started falling into different types of fishing and ended up with a few rods. My fish count has gone way higher in that time. I currently have 1 baitcasting rod, 2 spinning rods (M and M/L), and 1 fly rod.

Also having multiple lures is important to match the hatch. Not as much with aggressive fish like prairie pike, but more so with more finicky fish such as trout, char, goldeye, and even walleye.

Going to the original thread, I love baitcasters, they really shine with heavier gear. I have a Shimano Curado 200e7 and it really can handle some heavy gear. With the addition to the robust design, baitcasters cast much farther than spinning outfits.
When people compare somthing like an Ambasadeur to your average Quantam spinning reel then yes, baitcasters do win in durability. However if you can get past the ultra light, high speed, 25 ball bearing mania there are plenty of spinning reels that are at least as robust as most of the baitcasters that are currently on the market. Claiming the baitcasters will outcast spinning reels is a pretty broad generalisation and about as true as any other broad generalisation, not very Its because of these sort of claims, made by fishing magazines and, ahem, the people who eat them up, that I feel the need to chime in with a healty dose of reality whenever this subject is brought up.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
When people compare somthing like an Ambasadeur to your average Quantam spinning reel then yes, baitcasters do win in durability. However if you can get past the ultra light, high speed, 25 ball bearing mania there are plenty of spinning reels that are at least as robust as most of the baitcasters that are currently on the market. Claiming the baitcasters will outcast spinning reels is a pretty broad generalisation and about as true as any other broad generalisation, not very Its because of these sort of claims, made by fishing magazines and, ahem, the people who eat them up, that I feel the need to chime in with a healty dose of reality whenever this subject is brought up.
X2. Spin reels work fine for casting and placing bait. I've tried baitcasters before but they're just another expense that do VERY LITTLE. In fact, I prefer spinners. 5 min of practice.

Don't need a "baitcaster" to toss bait....that is for sure! You can place/land your bait just as easily with a spinner rod, AND u don't have to worry so much about silly (time consuming) reel snagatures.
My 2 sense.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
The casting factor is common sense, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find that out. If you try to cast a lure with a bare spool of fishing line it casts half the distance horizontally than if you were to cast holding the spool vertically. When held horizontally the line is subject to more friction than vertically (and no, I didn't get this information from a magazine. Like I've said former, it's common sense) Boom, simple physics. Not even high school level.
So yes, I've owned crappy baitcasters, and this more expensive reel -- So sue me for enjoying the sport and wanting a better performing reel, and these days if you pay your moneys worth it will last longer. That is what I've found. Its also more economical to spend a significant amount of money once then it is to pittle away little bits of money over the same time period, plus it save resources... And even with my crappy baitcaster -- lowest end baitcaster you could purchase, it casts 30% farther than any of my spinning reels.

Last edited by Albertafisher; 04-26-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Banned

There is more line drag and rolling resistance when casting with a baitcasting reel than a spinning, reel since you wanna talk about physics. If you wanna talk comon sense just look at the guys who need to make realy long casts, spinning gear is far more popular with surf fishermen than baitcasting gear. Many of the surf fishermen who do use baitcasting gear use reels with no level wind device to reduce line drag, instead using their thumb to guide the line evenly on the reel. Casting distance is dependant on a lot of factors and the type of reel sitting on your rod is one of the less important ones.

If you feel the need to insult my intelegence again feel free to PM me.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM

most of this is personal preference.

just like Cal's sigline says he likes to fish out of a canoe

i prefer a tub with 300 hp

we could argue forever in the end , he will fish in a canoe, me i'll stick with my Lund
Old 04-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
most of this is personal preference.

just like Cal's sigline says he likes to fish out of a canoe

i prefer a tub with 300 hp

we could argue forever in the end , he will fish in a canoe, me i'll stick with my Lund
So your saying no ones wrong everyone is right because it's there personal preference that counts. What kind of a cheap trick is this.............LOL
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
So your saying no ones wrong everyone is right because it's there personal preference that counts. What kind of a cheap trick is this.............LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

Quote:

hmmm...hmmm....hmmmmm......hmmmmmm.

Wow I can't even carry a tune in a bucket .....but do feel mellow.......
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
The casting factor is common sense, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to find that out. If you try to cast a lure with a bare spool of fishing line it casts half the distance horizontally than if you were to cast holding the spool vertically. When held horizontally the line is subject to more friction than vertically (and no, I didn't get this information from a magazine. Like I've said former, it's common sense) Boom, simple physics. Not even high school level.
Questionable high school physics aside, have you ever actually done a side by side comparison of casting distances with similar sized and quality spinning and baitcasting reels?

In my experience, a lot depends on how the baitcaster is setup (how close to the birdsnest line you want to get) and your skill at using one, but the spinning gear will consistently cast every bit as far, and often farther.

In the end, I agree with chubdarter, it's really just personal preference.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:16 PM

there is a world casting championship but it hardly proves anything.....kinda like i cant swing a john Daley golf club or swing a Mark Mcquire bat......everyone is different
Old 04-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
there is a world casting championship but it hardly proves anything.....kinda like i cant swing a john Daley golf club or swing a Mark Mcquire bat......everyone is different
Hummmm I should Sign up . Put a baitcaster in my hand and I can cast easily 75 - 100 yards sitting down ask geezle .
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Hummmm I should Sign up . Put a baitcaster in my hand and I can cast easily 75 - 100 yards sitting down ask geezle .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mauWJgscvxM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YR87...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stm9d...eature=related

i think the junior event winner is in excess of 300 yards.....and they are under 12 years old...lol
Old 04-27-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:

i think the junior event winner is in excess of 300 yards.....and they are under 12 years old...lol
How heavy of a lure though I outta check that out .Ok give me a 18 ft surf rod I could do that im positive about that .

Last edited by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES; 04-27-2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
How heavy of a lure though I outta check that out .
all different...30 gr to 175 gr
http://castingsport-icsf.com/index.p...d=15&Itemid=28
Old 04-27-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
6 ounces , and a 18 foot rod not to mention custom built reel I might have a chance . Ill stick to being an amature LMAO
Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
6 ounces , and a 18 foot rod not to mention custom built reel I might have a chance . Ill stick to being an amature LMAO
the guys using spinning reels hand wrap their line on the spool.....thats enough to deter most
Old 04-27-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
the guys using spinning reels hand wrap their line on the spool.....thats enough to deter most
LOL I thought that was the way you spooled a reel . Maybe Im wrong
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
LOL I thought that was the way you spooled a reel . Maybe Im wrong
well i just turn the handle
Old 04-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
well i just turn the handle
LOL OHHHHHHhhh THATS WHAT THAT THING IS
Old 04-27-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stm9d...eature=related

It looks like I have the girth to be one of these fine outstanding athletes.
Dodger
Old 04-27-2011, 06:02 PM

The place where a bait-caster really shines is on a nice sunny day as it is flying threw the air and you here the soft splosh as it enters your favorite reservoir. It is usually followed by the call of the wild fisher-person going ^%%^$#@&***^^%$$##@@!%^&*(((*&^%%$$##@$^.

Cheers, Dodger.