Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
The place where a bait-caster really shines is on a nice sunny day as it is flying threw the air and you here the soft splosh as it enters your favorite reservoir. It is usually followed by the call of the wild fisher-person going ^%%^$#@&***^^%$$##@@!%^&*(((*&^%%$$##@$^.

Cheers, Dodger.
Lol. That reminds of the time I casted my fairly expensive well liked spinning reel into a lake. For a minute, I couldn't just belive what happened, then the started. Today I think back about it, and find it hillarious.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:10 PM

For baitcasting reels, I don't use them unless i'm using 25lb+ fishing tackle. I find the spin reels to be much more pleasant to use for fishing with less than 25lb line. With heavier fishing tackle, the bait casters have the great torque, and I don't have to worry about the reel braket joiner from the rod seat to the reel benging back and fourth when fighting big fish. I have tried some spinning reels for heavier use and the rod joiner kept on bending back and fourth.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:23 PM

Well, yesterday I tried out one of the smaller baitcasters for a little bit. It's on a Rapala TS2 Jig/Soft Plastic rod () so I tried pitching a jig with a little rubber fish.

The reel itself works quite nicely, though getting the brake set was a little tricky - this one has an extra adjustment that my Corvalus doesn't, but I think I've got it figured out. The only issue is for some reason I can't get my timing right on the cast with it - I always end up holding on for too long, even when I consciously try not to. When casting sidearm I hook the lure to my left, and when casting overhand I send the lure rocketing down towards the water too soon, and if I'm not on the ball the spool will horribly overrun

Yet when I'm tossing 3-4oz with the Corvalus I have no issues launching it way out there.

Guess I need to get out for more practice

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
Well, yesterday I tried out one of the smaller baitcasters for a little bit. It's on a Rapala TS2 Jig/Soft Plastic rod () so I tried pitching a jig with a little rubber fish.

The reel itself works quite nicely, though getting the brake set was a little tricky - this one has an extra adjustment that my Corvalus doesn't, but I think I've got it figured out. The only issue is for some reason I can't get my timing right on the cast with it - I always end up holding on for too long, even when I consciously try not to. When casting sidearm I hook the lure to my left, and when casting overhand I send the lure rocketing down towards the water too soon, and if I'm not on the ball the spool will horribly overrun

Yet when I'm tossing 3-4oz with the Corvalus I have no issues launching it way out there.

Guess I need to get out for more practice
That's the only thing you can do , or put a 1/2 oz bell sinker on there or 1 oz depending what your gonna chuck , set up a chunk of wood or hula hoop whichever , and cast at it until you can hit it repeatedly . That's what I did when I first started using bait casters and look at me now . I would cast that thing until my shoulder was sore , got use to untying the knots when the spool over spins . NEVER CUT THOUGH.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
That's the only thing you can do , or put a 1/2 oz bell sinker on there or 1 oz depending what your gonna chuck , set up a chunk of wood or hula hoop whichever , and cast at it until you can hit it repeatedly . That's what I did when I first started using bait casters and look at me now . I would cast that thing until my shoulder was sore , got use to untying the knots when the spool over spins . NEVER CUT THOUGH.
I was thinking about this last night, and next time I'm out I'm going to put on a heavier spoon or something and try tossing it.

I realized that the rod that little Quantum Code is on is a fair bit stiffer than what I usually pitch jigs with, and I think that the rod tip isn't bending and 'loading' on the cast with the light lure, throwing off my cast (if that makes sense? ) I think with a heavier lure that'll put a little bend in the rod I'll do better, but again, there's only one way to find out

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams