Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-14-2007, 10:40 AM
Redfrogoutfitters

Default Perch Run??

Many years ago, at the dawn of time, I lived in southern Ontario. It is/was a terrible place where trolls, swamp creatures and Lieberals thrive.:eek Needless to say, as soon as I could figure out which way was west, I left.

However, I do miss the perch fishing in the spring. About this time of year, the perch would mass to spawn in the rivers. Though the weather was sometimes cold and windy, I spent many memorable days fishing from one of the local docks.

I've never fished soft water here for perch, but have caught some through the ice. I know lots of people fish lakes for them, but does anyone fish the rivers? Is there a "perch run"
in Alberta or Saskatchewan?
Old 04-14-2007, 11:39 AM
happy perch fisher

I never heard of a perch run before. i only know of 1 lake now that has perch that u can catch tons of them in summer. Last year if u did'nt care about the size of perch u could of went to spring lake and catch hundreds of them. But some people thought it would be good to kill all the perch and the trout and just put trout in. lol that was the last lake under a hour from edmonton u could get some perch.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
FisherPotch

i imagine that some of our lakes have streams or tribs that perch would inhabit during the spawn. Not certain if that would classify it as a perch run. For the most part im thinking that it isnt as popular here cause most of our lakes and streams are closed currently and rivers such as the NSR dont have perch to my knowlege.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
happy perch fisher

My grandpa use to tell me at pigion lake u could cast into huge schools of perch in the shallows. But it was like 20 years ago.