Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Jamie Hunt

Default Deep sea fishing

Hey all.
Has anyone ever taken a cruise and gone fishing in on one of your port stops?
I am taking my wife on a well deserved cruise From April 1-7
We will be hitting
Jamaica
Grand Cayman
Cozumel.

I am afraid that you done get enough time in each port to make it worth while.
Any thoughts?

Jamie
Old 03-17-2007, 06:39 PM
notta

Default notta

forget grand cayman unless you can set something up for stingray city and then do a little deep sea jigging on the outside of the sandbar, snorkel and walk the white beaches. Check out the turtle farm, you won't have much time
Old 03-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: notta

Laker, the Stingray thing sounds like the most fun.
I was thinking about fishing in Cozumel. But every other time I have gone Deep sea fishing we spent at least 10 hours out on the water. I dont think I will do it this time. To bad, I really enjoy it

Jamie
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 AM
RockyMtnx

Default Re: notta

10 hours isnt needed. 3 weeks ago we were out for 6 hours (4 hours fishing) and caught 11 sailfish.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:19 AM
RockyMtnx

I posted a few pics of our trip

2007 Sailfish pictures
Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
tuffyy

If you are looking for a good trip make sure to check with guides in the area to see what is on the bite.I have gone on deep sea trips 4 times and only had good success on 1 occasion.I have gone on shallow water or flats trips 3 times and had success on every trip.I will be heading back to Cancun in a few weeks and have already booked a day trip for shallow water/flats fishing for snappers,grouper,bonefish,and whatever other odd critters the waters should decide to cough up.Its alot of fun and you are guaranteed to catch fish and if you want you can keep your catch and have it prepared in your resort.I did manage to hook a 47lb warsaw grouper on my last trip to the cancun area and the action is almost always nonstop.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:36 PM
RockyMtnx

tuffyy - just wondering who you fished with from Cancun?
In the next couple weeks the sailfish will be in thier prime.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:23 PM
tuffyy

I use Pesca maya guides as they seem to be the guys that come highly suggested,they also join in on the fishing and have lots of good drinks!!!They are in the Mayan riviera which is were I stay.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:31 PM
tuffyy

By the way those are some sweet looking sail's!!!The time I arrive will be peak for them,hmmmm maybe I will have to book a second outing while there!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Jamie Hunt

All this talk and pics about sails has got my juices flowing.
My biggest problem is that I wont be there to check things out a day or so before.
So looks like I will have to do my research on line. Prices look very resonable so far. $400-$500 for 6 hours. Also looks like it is high season for some types of Bill fish.

If I go I promise TONS of pics
Jamie
Old 03-20-2007, 09:29 AM
RockyMtnx

These are the guys that we used last month. www.fishingcharterscancun.com The boat I booked was called "Stuff It" (38' Bertram)
The Captain (Orlando) and Mate (George) were the best you could have. These guys worked hard and it paid off. Orlando knew what he was doing and George worked his ass off. No question asked, I would book these two guys any day!
That day there were 41 boats in our general area. I guarantee we were the boat that caught the most fish that morning.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Pics

Default Pics

(If I go I promise TONS of pics)Cant waite to see the pics If you go.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Jamie Hunt

Default Re: Pics

Well the Cruise is a for sure thing... Its paid for, the flights are booked. But this holiday is more for my wife than me. So I told he we would do what she wanted to do for fun. Hopefully catching Bill fish sounds like fun to her. She isnt much of a shopper so who knows a guy might get lucky.

Jamie
Old 03-20-2007, 06:33 PM
tuffyy

Thanks alot rocky,I booked a trip for Sails today along with the shallow trip I have planned.This is getting expensive!!!Just looked to tempting to pass up!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:59 AM
RockyMtnx

Make sure all of you guys post pics!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Jamie Hunt

Damn...
We got skunked!
Only one bite the whole day. It was a big bite though.
Gave up with a hour left and did some great snorkeling. The wter off of Cozumel was great. Might have some cool under water pics. I will post once we get them developed.

Every time I get the chance I go and chase Billfish. I think I need to actually plan a trip around it. Perhaps venesuala (SP)

Jamie
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 AM
gunslinger

james monstermuley and myself also went out to peorta vallarta on a marlin fishing trip with mr marlin and were lucky enough to get a 350 pound marlin on the last day of our trip, had some luck with the durado and little tuna also...what a blast i cant wait to get out to pei in august and hunt for the big tuna again. heres a few pics of our little adventure.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:10 PM
RockyMtnx

Congrats & Nice pics.
Tha is one big fish!
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM
gunner 83

nice pics. those yellowtails are something else hey!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:59 AM
eyes4fun

hey rocky.How much did you tip those guys? we didnt catch any sailfish and we couaght only bottom fish and 4 barracuda and a ****ty sandwhich for lunch,Im not sure it was even meat???? anyways we still had a good tme so we tipped 80 american and they looked at us like we were the devil ????? Ummm what did we do wrong? Also what is the best place and time for those sails anyways and what about those dorados and yellowfins ooooooh I wanna catch a tuna,Please believe me when i say I demand no killing of billfish!!! thanks guys!
Old 04-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Jamie Hunt

Tipping is allways tough.
On our last trip that we got skunked on we tipped $100 total.
I think we were high, but the service on board was the best ever. We talked with them, and they had a 9 year old boy who looked after our every whim. (Mexico also has a spring break).
Great crew

Jamie
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
RockyMtnx

eyesforfun - We tipped $50 at the start and told the captain there was more to come at the end of the trip. We gave him another $75 after the awesome trip. They were really happy with that.

For fishing the Caribbean side of Mexico the best times are usually as follows:
Sailfish - March - July
Blue Marlin - March - August
White Marlin - April - August
Dorado - March - July
Tuna - Year round
Old 04-12-2007, 12:04 PM
eyes4fun

thank you very much call me if you need a partner to go! money is no object!!! lol show me the fun!!!