Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 AM

Default My new fishfinder setup for ice fishin

Hey guys!

Here's this year's "in-between seasons" project to keep me occupied until I can go ice fishin.

I just got a hummingbird piranha 220 fishfinder. It's actually meant to be used on a boat with a 12 volt battery, but I want to use through the ice this year.

Instead of always buyin AA batteries for a portable unit, I just built this box to hold a small rechargeable 12 volt and the fishfinder.

The screen is mounted on the top part for when I'm using it, and when I'm not using it, I just flip the lid over, and the screen fits inside with the battery.

For the transducer, I'm gonna mount it on an extendable shower curtain rod to get it to the bottom of the ice (unless the ice won't cause any interference, then I'll just rig something up to keep it level at the surface, I haven't determined this yet).

I also insulated the interior of the box for colder days to help the battery keep its charge.

Between this unit and my aqua vu, watch out fishies, you're in trouble this year!!!

Heres some pics before I screwed on the front so you can see the inside of the unit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishfinder001.jpg (146.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg Fishfinder002.jpg (147.5 KB, 126 views)
Old 12-04-2007, 07:55 AM
troller

Cool
Old 12-04-2007, 02:34 PM

cool little project , just make sure you dont bring it into real cold weather or the screen is done for..
Old 12-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Kewl idea

Just a suggestion - why don't you replace the plywood with one of those insulated soft-sided coolers. Just put the foam and the battery in it and it should work like stink. The cooler would be easier to carry and move with the built in handle.
I think I will bastardize your idea and try it myself this year if you don't mind.

Gerry
Old 12-05-2007, 06:31 PM

haha, have at er bud! Some have suggested using an aqua-vu battery, as they're much lighter. In hindesight, I should have done that. But hell, may as well make ice fishing an athletic sport!

Here's a pic of the final product. I mounted flip-down handles for easier carrying on both sides of the lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fishfinder003.jpg (141.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Here is my set up

Old 12-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Pretty Nerdy.... hahahahaha Good on ya mate!!!!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

Just a question but how does having a fish finder on the ice help you catch fish ???? If its depth you want I bet you could run a jig down to bottom for measurement before you set these contraptions up... And as far as knowing if there are any fish down there,, I use a baited hook for that.. If its down there for a few minutes and no fish,,, time to move on.. Don't need batteries for that...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:04 PM

Good stuff!

The only thing more fun than fishin' toys are self-customized fishin' toys. I've recently re-mounted my Aqua-Vu monitor as part of the lifelong search for the ultimate ice fishing set-up. I've got most of the toys now: okay little 4x4, A-V cam, Vex, power auger, and a couple light, portable warm huts. Now I just have to figure out how to set everything up for maximum utilization and enjoyment. Or have fun trying for the next 40 years.

FF
Old 12-07-2007, 06:49 AM

Walleyes, I too have used your method of fishing for nearly 40 years, and always caught fish.
Only other tip I can add, is to put egg shells down the hole, if under 15(ish) feet deep. It gives your eyes something to focus on and any fish swimming by can be seen.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Just a question but how does having a fish finder on the ice help you catch fish ???? If its depth you want I bet you could run a jig down to bottom for measurement before you set these contraptions up... And as far as knowing if there are any fish down there,, I use a baited hook for that.. If its down there for a few minutes and no fish,,, time to move on.. Don't need batteries for that...
Not sure if those fishfinders are instant reading but my marcum has instant reading. If a fish swims 20 feet above your hook in 50 feet of water, I can reel up and usually catch him. Lots of days I have caught all my fish 10-30 feet suspended above my hook, without the Marcum I might of only caught 1 or 2 fish.

Also, when you say if the fish dont bite, they arent down there..they could easily be down there except maybe they want it downsized or worked slower or w/e

IMO They definitely have there place in my icefishing arsenal

Last edited by Kyle; 12-07-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added