Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Default Fishing inPrince Rupert

So, I have a big trip planned for Prince Rupert next Spring/Summer.

The Outfitter is advising us to come up at the end of May or so.
My experiance with Langara Island at the end of may was that it was VERY slow for the fishing.

What do you guys think of the timeing?

Thanks
Jamie
Old 11-18-2007, 11:16 PM

i fished bc for 6months got there in april didnt start catching stuff untill sept but yet again it matterrs what ur want to fish for , i know a guy on th island i met up there he owns a chater and says springs are unreal in august
Old 11-19-2007, 07:40 AM

Default timing

I had thought that late June/early July was prime time. We fished Rupert for 14 days (in between gale force winds) two years ago. We were there for the first two weeks of July. The cohos were not there in full force the first week. The chinooks were slow the last week. The pinks were there the whole time.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:47 AM
Banned

I wouldn't be headin there for Salmon at the end of May I think she'd be pretty slim pickins.. If its Hali you're after well that might be different they should still be feeding good.. Rupet is best for Springs from mid to late June... Mind you there are always a few kicken around..

Do you know this Guide well ??? he could just be trying to fill in his calender telling you to come up then....
Old 11-19-2007, 11:59 AM
sheephunter

Ya I agree with what these guys are saying...late June-July would be my choice.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:12 PM

I was up in Rupert around May 25th for a few days while I was getting some work done on my boat before carrying on to Masset. I wasn't doing any fishing but I did see quite a few 20-30lb Springs come in while I was checking out the Cow Bay marina. I talked to a few guys there and they said the Spring fishing is usually pretty good the end of May and early June. With the Coho coming in, in July.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:23 PM

I have always been told the biggest populations of big springs is at the end of June-into the firs of july, Rupert is not far from Langara. Who knows?

I would think a 50 lb'er in July is a high 30's in May?

They gain a ton of weight just before they head for the fresh water.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Rupert

We have fished Rupert for 2 years in a row last year was end of July Begining of August, this year was the last four days in July. We had really good luck with Coho and also got a few Springs (even a white one last year 32lbs). This year the pinks stayed off our hooks unless we used the "BaitBuster" which was the hot hook last year?? We had good Hali fishing and finally got to fish the Kelp beds this year with some light tackle which I highly recomend. A lot of the charter guys and skeeners we talked to this year said the spring run was a touch late this year, but they could also tell me anything its a long 1740km back to the prairie.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Time?

Hey wades may be we bumped shoulders the last two years there we fished the same days both years as you did we fished with Randy Jansun unreel charters good guy he asked us to come mid may to early june this year so he could get us in to some good springs June 1 2 3 this year we will see
Old 11-20-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Cap'tain Steve

The name of our Captain was Steve Carpenter and I think the Charter is Northern Alberta Fishing Charter's (Captains Partners are in Fort Mac. I think?) Steve seems very knowledgeable and we've caught our limit every year except the crab, people seemed to be on a stealing frenzy this year we had 3 traps taken over the week. Have you had any luck catching any Sockeye if I remember correctly there even later in the year are they not?
Old 11-22-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
So, I have a big trip planned for Prince Rupert next Spring/Summer.

The Outfitter is advising us to come up at the end of May or so.
My experiance with Langara Island at the end of may was that it was VERY slow for the fishing.

What do you guys think of the timeing?

Thanks
Jamie
I think mid to late June / first week of July would be the best time. If you want to fish for steelhead and /or salmon in the rivers May would be a good time to go there for both. Take raingear
Old 11-22-2007, 08:39 PM

Salmon....yuk ! Too fishy tasting !

Spent some time there, before moving to QCI. Caught my first Hali there. Many Ling and Rock Fish as well. Had/have my own boat & talked to locals and learned fast.
Even when too rough to get out far, you can fish in close and get lots !
Heck, even the local kids can catch Hali where the Ferry docks ! From land !

Darn , I miss the fishing out there !

You should also look into some Deer hunting while there. Seems to me they changed the regs from 10 a year to 15 ! Best Deer you will ever eat !
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 PM

Forgot to mention....the largest Black Bear in the world live on QCI. They have the very distinct looking Blacks that you'll see on the main land. Then you have the ones with looks much like a Grizz, and their backs are (and I'm not kidding) as high as an F-250 truck hood ! 900+ lbs. Had one within 20-30ft. of the truck on my last year there......3 days after the season ended !

So if you see a "normal" looking Black, with the stubby legs and round body, move on. Look for the long legged ones.

Take note: the ones that look like a Grizz ( no, they are not, but may have crossed way in the past....no Grizz on QCI) are much more aggressive than your "normal" Black.

(darn , I miss the hunting !)

(I even got a Turkey there one time....another funny story....)
Old 11-23-2007, 02:15 PM

We went to Prince Rupert the middle of June this year.We caught our limit of springs and Halibut and a few Coho.Who are you going with
Old 11-23-2007, 04:21 PM

I fished Rupert this past august, first week.. We hammered the coho,pinks and hali's, Didnt do to great on chinook's.... I wouldnt fish that early.. Seems way to early to me mid-end june/July and first 2 weeks of august is good.!
Old 11-25-2007, 08:27 PM

I live in Prince George and have staff up in Rupert Go up a fair bit End of May can be very good up by Dundas ( north) but main runs of Chinook are later June and July Coho's usually show up mid/late July and heavy thru Sept Pinks and Chum mid july and august halibut are good May thru sept

Gord
Old 12-09-2007, 09:49 AM

The wife and I fished Rupert this last July 8,9,10, with Something Fishy Charters, very reasonably priced. Two people for multiple days 600 dollars per. day. Came home with full limit of Chinook (3 over 30lb), Coho, Halibut, Red Snapper, Crab, Ling Cod and a few rock fish. Two other groups of friends were there also at same time, with different charters and also did well, one got a 56lb Chinook. Neither other group got the full array of fish as we did though. The guide was VERY hard working and really wanted us too get all the fish possible, kinda of a tough guy to get along with attitude wise at times, but I would book with him agian, cost and effort make it worth while. Stayed at the Moby Dick Inn, they totally catered to fishermen, freezers, walkin cooler, crab cooker, ice AND advice. One bit of advive, take a FREEZER to bring fish home, we did it with coolers (6), alot more work and worry.

keep a tight line