Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-06-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Ice Fishing Star Lake

Hey All,

Im looking at getting out ice fishing this weekend. Has anyone been out to Star Lake? how is the ice ( how many inches) and how was the fishing? Has anyone been to any other trout lakes around the edmonton area?

Also going dog hunting this weekend...should be fun and i will post what happends from both the hunting and fishing trips, with pics next week.

wade
"little buck"
Old 12-07-2007, 05:08 AM
-NDN-

fishin hole report said fair to good i believe for star, bumble bee jig or mitzi ditzi loaded with maggots they mentioned.
Old 12-07-2007, 11:59 AM

I've always wanted to fish Star, but never managed to get out. My buddies dad went a few years ago, and they caught 3 above average trout there, but they said you had to walk about 1 km to the lake from where you park. Is that true? Does anyone know how the fish taste out of this lake? Some trout taste muddy out of the pothole lakes.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 PM

Hey Whitetail, are you sure about the names? You can drive right up to, and in a few weeks, onto Star. You may be confused with East Pit, which is probably about a km walk from the parking lot.

Star is straight west from Mink lake while East Pit is just north of the town of Wabamun. Both can be good fishing.

FF
Old 12-07-2007, 02:44 PM

Hey Whitetail,
Ya sounds like your talking abut East Pit, and not only is it about a 1km walk, but its also up a good size hill, and in the winter with some good snow and a full load can make for a rough go. Dont know how the Bows taste out of East Pit, got a few there but never kept any.
Start on the other hand i have, i kept some in the late winter and they all were good tho they did taste a little muddy, but still good.
little buck
Old 12-08-2007, 12:32 PM

Hit one of the potholes yesterday and there was roughly 6-8'' of ice, good for walking on.Fished 4-5ft of water and got my limit in about a hour...Used a marmish rod and a yellow mitzi ditzi with maggot's.Biting very light so the marmish was a godsend.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:11 PM

Hey guys,
Thanks for the input, has anyone tired shrimp? thats what i used all last year and at places like Star had great luck.
Also does anyone know of a good place for Browns around Edmonton (ice fishing)? In the last 2 years i have really only fishing for bows mostly on the fly in the summer.
Little Buck
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 PM

Little Buck- I think you're out of luck for browns immediately around Edmonton. But if you're willing to drive a couple hours, you could try Figure 8 lake up by Peace River, Obed Lake out by Edson, Swan Lake down by Caroline, or Phyllis Lake down by Caroline (not too sure if there are still browns in it, though).
Old 12-09-2007, 10:09 PM

Gone Fishin,
I think you have told me this before, we will chat when i get to your place tomorrow assuming work lets me go early, if not ill stop by to get my .223 Tues morning then off to Winnipeg.
Little Buck
Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 AM

Thanks for staightening me out guys. Your probably right about East Pit. We have used shrip for rainbows before. We use a chunk of the shrimp rings you buy at Superstore. Very successful at times.