Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-09-2007, 12:33 PM

Default Cow Lake?

Just wondering if anyone could give me some tips on fishing this lake, never done it before and looking to get out there sometime in the next couple of weeks...talking about the one just outside of rocky...thanks for any tips, have a good one!
Old 12-09-2007, 09:18 PM
TundraBuck

Not enough ice to drive on, so don't even think about that. If I was you, I'd park at the governments day use area on the north end of the lake, where the boat launch is. The trick to cow lake is shallow, most guys go deep (8ish feet is max), you do see and catch fish but not size and numbers as shallow. Get about 10 feet off the cattails, left or right of boat launch doesnt matter, the longer you walk the better day you will have, as a rule of thumb. Get in 2 - 3 ft of water and you should have success. Be watching for those big ugly brood stock trout too caught a couple of the ugly things last year. Guys brag about them, what's so special about catching a brood stock? It didn't grow that big as a wild fish, it ate pelets to get that big. To me that's like going to an elk farm and shooting an elk... Also, if you catch any pike, you may only keep one and unlike the general pike regulation, it has to be at least 100 cm not 63 like most other places. Good luck, best thing that I catch perch with there is a teardrop tipped with maggots, then when you catch fish use perch eyeballs too.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
then when you catch fish use perch eyeballs too.
My regs are out in the truck, but I don't think you can use any "game fish" parts. (I know in B.C. you cannot)
Old 12-10-2007, 08:02 AM

fished it last year first trip out got 25 perch (small ones ) that was just off the day use area and to the west. Second trip out we went to the south west bay got 2 10" rainbows and 31 perch only 3 keepers. It seems to be most of the guys we seen out thier were fishing through that areas.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
My regs are out in the truck, but I don't think you can use any "game fish" parts. (I know in B.C. you cannot)
If you're killing the fish then yes you can. Obviously you aren't going to catch one, remove the eyballs, and put it back down the hole.