Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Spray Lakes Report

Hello all, I took daughter and some of my daughters friends up to Spray Lake yesterday and found that there was only a couple of inches of snow on the lake. We trudged out a few hundred yards from the Driftwood boat launch and set up our spot. The wind was blowing yesterday pretty hard so I had to set up the fishing tent for the girls. I had to use ice screws to hold the tent down as it really picked up after we got there. After I had all the holes drilled (the ice is 12 " thick) and had the girls rigged up and fishing I finally put a line down and had a bite right away, however one of the little girls started yelling somethings pulling on the rod you gave me help, help! Well the girl who had the fish on had never caught a fish before and the glow and excitement on this little girls face made up for all the work so far to get things set up.

It was a tenacious battle as I told her just keep reeling and keep your rod tip up. The girls were squeeling with excitment, do this, do that, they were saying and all I could do was laugh. Finally, the Spray lake monster came out of the hole and was flopping on the ice with all the girls ensuring they are well out of the way from the lunker. The fish was taken off the hook and held up for all to see even thought the trout was only 14 " it was a world class fish by the time we got home. The little girl named her trophy Gladis and she proudly showed her parents the trophy fish when we got home.

I fish so much I forgot about other folks who can't get out fishing much so to take someone else's kid out to watch them enjoy the day and the experience is pricless! We only landed the one lake trout yesterday as I had to give up fishing myself due to how many strikes these girls had but I still had a great time. I can still remember who took me on my first fishing trip!

Goose
Old 12-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Great story Goose.
What do you use for Lake Trout down there? I have never fished for them in the winter.
Shirtr
Old 12-11-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Reply

Use a royal coachman tipped with maggots 1 foot above a 1/4 oz lime green jig head that has a white single tailed scented walleye body that is tipped with half a smelt fish in 50 feet + of water. Try straight out from the driftwood boat launch about 400 yards.
best regards
Ken/Goose
Old 12-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Sounds like an awsome time Goose! Can't wait to get out there one of these days! I usually like to hit spray at least once or twice a year, but now I'm in Calgary, so more frequent trips might be in order!