Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM

Default Permanent Ice Shack Regs

I just wanted to check on something here, if you set up a ice shack that you are planning to leave on the lake for the season what is required as far as signage? Name, Address, Phone # etc. Last year I ran into quite a few shacks that had no names or contact info on them. Is it required? I think having your name and phone number on your shack is important in case it blows over or gets vandalized etc. maybe someone would be good enough to give you a call so you can go asess the damage before it gets worse.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 PM

I have a shack i leave out at crawling vally and i have my name,phonenumber,city, i think its a good idea to put this info on there just in case something happens to it.A couple of years ago i had my shack vandelized at ghost what a mess i thought i would never build again but i love the sport and i built another so i look after everyones on the lake if i see anything suspecious i check it out and will phone wardens if i have to and i hope all will do the same for me so i think you should put info on your shack for that just in case time .
Old 12-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Here in manitoba, it is mandatory to have your name and address on your shack. The main reason for that is: all shacks have to be off the ice by a certain date, usually March 15 Or sooner depending on ice conditions. This way the Conservation Dept knows who to phone. Also i think it's a great idea if fishermen look out for each other's shacks.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight hunter View Post
Here in manitoba, it is mandatory to have your name and address on your shack. The main reason for that is: all shacks have to be off the ice by a certain date, usually March 15 Or sooner depending on ice conditions. This way the Conservation Dept knows who to phone. Also i think it's a great idea if fishermen look out for each other's shacks.
The same applies in Saskatchewan, I haven't set up a permanent shack since moving here 5 years ago. I'm glad there are people out there that look out for each other. I ran into a guy tonight that came over to borrow my ice auger. I thought that was fine but after talking to him he let me know that he was from out of town. He then asked me if I knew who owned the shack beside mine, I told him no. He then proceded to start snooping around inside it and said "I don't think Len will mind if I use his shack (Lens name was on it but no phone #), thats when I asked for my auger back . 99.9% of people would not care if you borrow their shack, but common sense says you sholud ask for permission first. Thats like plunking your a** down on someones couch at their house when they are not home and saying "So and So won't mind!). Stupid me I never even thought to get this guys plate #. This is why mine has a lock on the door. I have no problem giving out the key to people that want to borrow it for the day all they have to do is ask and leave it as it was found after using it.