Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Default Flies for Browns

I'm just bored and thinking about the open water season ahead. I've never caught a Brown trout before and I've decided this year I will try. So being a fly tier I've been tying flies that catch Browns. I've come up with a minnow pattern that I hope will entice a Brown! Of course I've made a variety of wolly buggers and zonkers as well. So I'm showing you my new minnow pattern, in hopes that those of you who tie flies can show me what you've created that works well for browns and I suppose any predatory trout ... Just trying to get ideas.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:08 PM

I have used a Thunder Creek [Rowley y-tube]sz12 scud blk&white green&white,Bow R. Bugger Green body,blk.tail,Bulldog,Mouse patterns.I use them for brown's & tigers
Old 03-31-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I have used a Thunder Creek [Rowley y-tube]sz12 scud blk&white green&white,Bow R. Bugger Green body,blk.tail,Bulldog,Mouse patterns.I use them for brown's & tigers
Thanks that's really helpfull.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:34 PM

Stryker...

Brown trout eat whatever is available be that mayflies, caddis, stones, hoppers and on and on. They are not specific to any food source.
They are however more prone to low light feeding which lends to patterns like mice.
I've caught Browns on most everything even caterpillars last year.

Regards,

Don
Old 04-01-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Stryker...

Brown trout eat whatever is available be that mayflies, caddis, stones, hoppers and on and on. They are not specific to any food source.
They are however more prone to low light feeding which lends to patterns like mice.
I've caught Browns on most everything even caterpillars last year.

Regards,

Don
Hi Don...Thanks for the input, yes I realize they eat all that other trout eat, but you know how someone will say " I've had the most luck with a Black Ghost for browns" that's what I'm after...One's favorite fly pattern for browns. But clearly people are as guarded about their favorite patterns as they are about their "honey holes" Tight Lines!
Old 04-01-2018, 08:03 AM
Banned

Caddis and mayflies. 2 sizes of each in 2 colours (light and dark). Fish em on top, in the film or swing them like wets. Beside wooly buggers these 2 are my go to patterns.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Hi Don...Thanks for the input, yes I realize they eat all that other trout eat, but you know how someone will say " I've had the most luck with a Black Ghost for browns" that's what I'm after...One's favorite fly pattern for browns. But clearly people are as guarded about their favorite patterns as they are about their "honey holes" Tight Lines!
I see, here are the secret flies.

Pheasant tail nymph both weighted and not.
A grey body mayfly pattern in sized #12>18.

Don
Old 04-01-2018, 09:22 AM

Best brown I caught in Muir Lake was in October 2015, using a silver/black backswimmer, so hopefully the ice this year will be gone by then!
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM

Default Hi Ian!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Best brown I caught in Muir Lake was in October 2015, using a silver/black backswimmer, so hopefully the ice this year will be gone by then!
Nice to see you pipe in!! I've caught some nice rainbows with backswinners but never caught a brown.. Yes I'm with you on the ice! It's going to be a long spring for stillwater flyfishers!
Old 04-01-2018, 11:01 AM

Big ugly circus peanut if I had to pick a favourite! Black or white or yellow or olive or brown.

You will definitely miss a lot of fish/fun by sticking to only one fly though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Peanut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouthype View Post
Big ugly circus peanut if I had to pick a favourite! Black or white or yellow or olive or brown.

You will definitely miss a lot of fish/fun by sticking to only one fly though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First of all I don't plan on sticking to one fly! Thus the inquiry...I want to have lots of ideas/choices! With that being said what on earth is a "circus peanut"? Keep in mind I've only been fly fishing/tying for 4 years... Still learning. Well I think in fly fishing you'd be learning until you're very old!
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
First of all I don't plan on sticking to one fly! Thus the inquiry...I want to have lots of ideas/choices! With that being said what on earth is a "circus peanut"? Keep in mind I've only been fly fishing/tying for 4 years... Still learning. Well I think in fly fishing you'd be learning until you're very old!
Thanks for your input.
We'll all be learning until we die.
Old 04-01-2018, 12:38 PM

I like Galloup's big articulated streamers. Any of them are good. Peanut envy, sex dungeons. My favorite by far is the barely legal. Olive maribou over white maribou. Big browns like big meals. This is a sex dungeon I tied a while back. My deer hair work is trash but it still fishes lol

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2018, 12:44 PM

Also as a side note. Galloup has been putting out a bunch of videos on you tube this year detailing how he builds all his flies. They are long videos but worth the watch

Old 04-01-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyfisherman View Post
I like Galloup's big articulated streamers. Any of them are good. Peanut envy, sex dungeons. My favorite by far is the barely legal. Olive maribou over white maribou. Big browns like big meals. This is a sex dungeon I tied a while back. My deer hair work is trash but it still fishes lol

Don't sell yourself short, that's a fishy looking streamer! That was kind of my train of thought that big browns would like a big meal!! Good to know about the K Galloup articualted streamers! I will check his videos out as well. Thanks for some good suggestions! Tight Lines
Old 04-01-2018, 04:43 PM

Don't disagree w don 2 out of 3 of my pb browns were on a 18 pmd and a 16 midge 26 and 27 inches. But I've caught a lot of good browns on an olive clouser. Pretty much only streamer I use. Ps Browns are the BEST !
Old 04-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soab View Post
Don't disagree w don 2 out of 3 of my pb browns were on a 18 pmd and a 16 midge 26 and 27 inches. But I've caught a lot of good browns on an olive clouser. Pretty much only streamer I use. Ps Browns are the BEST !
Yes I agree, all species of fish are apt to bite on smaller sized patterns at times when finesse presentation is required. Predatory trout are no exception. And I've caught a very large (24"inch) Bull on an orange clouser. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Banned

Fishing the Bow River for big Brown Trout is a long living passion for me.
Early in the season, I drift Bow River Buggers slowly through the fishes over wintering spots.
Size 2 and 4.
I also use Clouser Minnows and other large Streamers.
Early on in the season, I use a slow retrieve.
I have caught many Browns over 28" every year for almost 40 years.
From Dry Fly Caddis fishing to pounding the banks.
My comment on your fly is that it will get pretty skinny once in the water..
Build up a bit more body.
BTW..There is no wrong way to fish, some are better and as you learn you will increase your a catch rate..
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetboatjimi View Post
Fishing the Bow River for big Brown Trout is a long living passion for me.
Early in the season, I drift Bow River Buggers slowly through the fishes over wintering spots.
Size 2 and 4.
I also use Clouser Minnows and other large Streamers.
Early on in the season, I use a slow retrieve.
I have caught many Browns over 28" every year for almost 40 years.
From Dry Fly Caddis fishing to pounding the banks.
My comment on your fly is that it will get pretty skinny once in the water..
Build up a bit more body.
BTW..There is no wrong way to fish, some are better and as you learn you will increase your a catch rate..
Hi Jimi... You probably live in or around Calgary, you're very lucky. When I settled in Alberta 42 years ago I chose the wrong city! LOL! But then again I didn't fly fish back then. I would love to have the Bow to fish for browns now!
I mainly fish in lakes so my choices are very limited.It's a passion of mine to catch all the trout species during my short career in fly fishing. So far I've caught Bows, Cuts, Lakers, Brooks.
Yes my minnow is rather skinny but I'm hoping the organza will flutter and serve as an attractor as well. I tie Pike flies as well and already have many smaller sized clousers and fatter minnow patterns.
I've been given many good ideas from this thread on larger patterns as well as smaller ones that I hadn't ties yet. I'll be tying those until the ice is off which might be a long while! LOL!
Thanks for your input I appreciate all the comments and suggestions of experienced people.
I love learning and always take the time to talk to guys that have been fly fishing for many years as well as the young ones too, as the modern perspective on flies is very different from the more traditional and I love to tie and experiment with both.
Tight Lines!
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 AM

Although I agree with Don on this and have caught my biggest browns with the same flies I use for any other trout, here is a suggestion for a pretty effective streamer for predator species...

Deceiver, various color combinations, I usually tie them on a #2 steelhead hook. I find them easy to cast, as they don't soak up water and get heavy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2281.jpg (41.6 KB, 73 views)
Old 04-02-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaltor View Post
Although I agree with Don on this and have caught my biggest browns with the same flies I use for any other trout, here is a suggestion for a pretty effective streamer for predator species...

Deceiver, various color combinations, I usually tie them on a #2 steelhead hook. I find them easy to cast, as they don't soak up water and get heavy.
Ah yes very nice! I've tied a few of these for pike on larger sized hooks, I will tie some on a #2. Easy to cast is good. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-02-2018, 09:26 AM

On a one off basis, I got 6 Browns over five pounds on caferpillars, a 24" on a #18 chironomid, and another 23" brown on a 1 1/4" rabbit leech.
However, day in and day out. A PT and grey dry work just fine.

Don
Old 04-02-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
On a one off basis, I got 6 Browns over five pounds on caferpillars, a 24" on a #18 chironomid, and another 23" brown on a 1 1/4" rabbit leech.

Don
What colour of caferpillar pattern were you using?
Old 04-02-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Don
Those would be some nice Browns Don! Would love to see that caterpillar fly!
Old 04-02-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I am not as experienced as Don, but I generally tend to agree---they are trout and eat trout food. 85% of the browns I caught were on typical trout flies---copper johns, caddis dries, leeches.

Last year, however, I went on a streamer junkie bender on the Bow River---fishing big-ass streamers at dusk and into the evening. Big browns eat big ticket items. I caught more fish over 24" last year than the previous 5 years combined. Like Don says, for catching the trophies, browns (especially big ones) tend to be crepuscular and nocturnal.

I would say big-ass articulated flies like sex dungeons and muted intruder patterns like the moorish medusa definitely caught my biggest browns last year. (caught my biggest rainbows too). I would say the VIP pattern of last year is the moorish medusa, catching me my biggest browns, rainbows, and cutthroat. It definitely caught the most bull trout, but the biggest was on a size 4 (3XL) blue-n-white clouser minnow.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:37 PM

I find the size of the water you are fishing has an effect as well. I am a flowing water guy primarily so the giant streamers I use on the Bow are the exact pattern I use on my favorite frenchmen creeks in Central Alberta. Clousers, Buggers and leeches tied smaller for smaller water but not necessarily smaller fish.

One streamer I have used and love is the masked bandit. It is tied on a size 4 or 6 Octopus hook. Phenomenal fly for Browns on both big and small water. Have yet to try it on still water.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Those would be some nice Browns Don! Would love to see that caterpillar fly!
Stryker,

The fly started out as an adult dragon fly c/w wings and extended body. It was the only thing i bad in my vest that could be even halfway believed so I cut off the wings, butchered the tail and flung it on the water. Tbe Browns ate it as did a couple of rainbows.
I did a Facebook post on it but can't retrieve it from the site. The fly was just plain pug ugly.

Regards,

Don
Old 04-03-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Stryker,

The fly started out as an adult dragon fly c/w wings and extended body. It was the only thing i bad in my vest that could be even halfway believed so I cut off the wings, butchered the tail and flung it on the water. Tbe Browns ate it as did a couple of rainbows.
I did a Facebook post on it but can't retrieve it from the site. The fly was just plain pug ugly.

Regards,

Don
Ha ha!! That's a funny story, I guess the fish thought it looked good!
Old 04-03-2018, 10:33 AM

ive not fished for browns as much in Canada as live too far north, but spend a bit of time every year, in the Country of my birth New Zealand, the brown and rainbow trout, being the primary freshwater fish,
the vast majority of brown I have caught have been on nymphs, hare and copper and pheasant tail being the most common, or in deep mountain rivers a tungsten been head, modified nymph pattern,
In my view, presenting the fly correctly, on brown out weighs pattern or type of fly, they will eat anything, but can hone in on a food source at times,
My greatest day on brown trout was on a mouse fly imitation in Nelson lakes, they were mice falling out, of the branch's of the beech trees, into the lake, so a deer hair mouse fly was the call, several big browns, ranging in size 3-8lbs for the evening,
Ive had multiple big fish, days on cicada's, and nymphs, and also on streamer's in river mouths, for sea runs, but general found big browns are hard won,
Ive really been struggling, with dialing them in in the area, I have my house in Taranaki New Zealand, they there, I catch the odd one, I can get several nice ones a day, (3-7lbs) a couple hours drive away, but ten minutes from home, not so much. difficult fly casting conditions being sum of the problem.

I think your fly above, is too sparse in the body,
switch to a brown or black leach, mudder or Matuka, and fish it bouncing of the bottom, Good luck, a worthy goal for the summer,
Mistry creek, perfect nymphing water, nice brown in this small run, but i fluffed it up,
Old 04-03-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
ive not fished for browns as much in Canada as live too far north, but spend a bit of time every year, in the Country of my birth New Zealand, the brown and rainbow trout, being the primary freshwater fish,
the vast majority of brown I have caught have been on nymphs, hare and copper and pheasant tail being the most common, or in deep mountain rivers a tungsten been head, modified nymph pattern,
In my view, presenting the fly correctly, on brown out weighs pattern or type of fly, they will eat anything, but can hone in on a food source at times,
My greatest day on brown trout was on a mouse fly imitation in Nelson lakes, they were mice falling out, of the branch's of the beech trees, into the lake, so a deer hair mouse fly was the call, several big browns, ranging in size 3-8lbs for the evening,
Ive had multiple big fish, days on cicada's, and nymphs, and also on streamer's in river mouths, for sea runs, but general found big browns are hard won,
Ive really been struggling, with dialing them in in the area, I have my house in Taranaki New Zealand, they there, I catch the odd one, I can get several nice ones a day, (3-7lbs) a couple hours drive away, but ten minutes from home, not so much. difficult fly casting conditions being sum of the problem.

I think your fly above, is too sparse in the body,
switch to a brown or black leach, mudder or Matuka, and fish it bouncing of the bottom, Good luck, a worthy goal for the summer,
Mistry creek, perfect nymphing water, nice brown in this small run, but i fluffed it up,
Hi Southernman!
New Zealand sounds like the paradise for fly fishers! I love watching You Tube flyfishing videos from New Zealand, you're so lucky to still have a place there.
Many have told me about mice and browns, it will be on my list of patterns to make. I already make them for Pike on larger sizes.
Yes my poor minnow needs to gain some weight! LOL!
Thank you for sharing your story with me, and for your suggestions.
I look forward to my conquest on Browns this season, with all the information I now have on patterns and technique I feel I have a much better chance at landing a few!