Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2018, 07:11 PM
Banned

Default Wolf Kill

Found this buck about a mile from my cabin. I was actually surprised to see them get a buck before the rut, I normally see this sort of thing right after the rut, kind of assumed does and fawns would be easier to get.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:17 PM

set up on it and blast them!
Old 11-07-2018, 07:18 PM

That’s to bad, he’s a shooter buck in my books. But that’s also how nature goes sometimes. Maybe he hurt his leg sparring with another buck. I’ve seen nicks limping around before, after I shot them, the rear tenant was broken.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
set up on it and blast them!
By the next morning only a spine and rib cage was left.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:40 PM

Should of pulled it out in the field further. Too bad, nice buck. Seems the azz always goes first, maybe he was wounded or hurt? Had a nice mature whitetail get taken down this yr just out of velvet by a she cat and her 4 sub adult kittens, basically 5 adult cats. I got a bone to pick with them now.....

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?

Last edited by husky7mm; 11-07-2018 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Found a nice 160" 5x5 whitetail buck a few years back by Wabasca about this time of year that the wolves had chased out onto the very fresh ice and a few years later in late September I found a 180" 5x5 along the Athabasca River that the wolves had killed up against the river edge on a 10 foot cliff bank on the edge of the water. I would guess that both would have been pretty healthy bucks that were pushed to the edge of an area and got 'trapped'. Neat finds. Too bad they took down a nice buck in your area early in the season.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 PM

I bet that fence was a factor in the equation. Buck might have panicked and ran into it when they rushed him or maybe was hung up when they found him.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I bet that fence was a factor in the equation. Buck might have panicked and ran into it when they rushed him or maybe was hung up when they found him.
I dunno,looks like it got pulled down away from the fence by the look of the bloddy patch
Cat
Old 11-07-2018, 10:43 PM

I found a large bull moose with a cow dead 50 feet apart about 20 years ago with wolf tracks like I never seen in my life,they were pretty well clean up by the wolves.

I was the only one cutting on that road for about a 2 weeks alone and there were no tracks in the snow going in or out but mine.Latter that week I brought my two brothers who one is a trapper and he took 3 big suckers out of there,plus I shot one myself around the same time.I carried my shotgun on my machine incase I broke down in a large cut out at night or during the day for the whole winter.

I think the bull must of got hurt in a fight and couldn't defend it self and the cow stayed with her bull.Then again 25 or so wolves can do some mean damage and they need a pile of food.

Lotsa times bulls fight till the other can't barely walk or even breath right from to long a fight and the wolves hear and watch for this,there at the top of the list for predators so they know all the tricks.

This buck may have got into a fight and was to played out to run or fight or got hurt somehow.Or they just plain overpowered him till he went down,specially if they ate the rest in the next meal there has to be a pack not far away.Ods are he ran into the fence also.

Hope you get at least a couple of them buggers.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Would have been a great set up.

Grizz
Old 11-08-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I found a large bull moose with a cow dead 50 feet apart about 20 years ago with wolf tracks like I never seen in my life,they were pretty well clean up by the wolves.

I was the only one cutting on that road for about a 2 weeks alone and there were no tracks in the snow going in or out but mine.Latter that week I brought my two brothers who one is a trapper and he took 3 big suckers out of there,plus I shot one myself around the same time.I carried my shotgun on my machine incase I broke down in a large cut out at night or during the day for the whole winter.

I think the bull must of got hurt in a fight and couldn't defend it self and the cow stayed with her bull.Then again 25 or so wolves can do some mean damage and they need a pile of food.

Lotsa times bulls fight till the other can't barely walk or even breath right from to long a fight and the wolves hear and watch for this,there at the top of the list for predators so they know all the tricks.

This buck may have got into a fight and was to played out to run or fight or got hurt somehow.Or they just plain overpowered him till he went down,specially if they ate the rest in the next meal there has to be a pack not far away.Ods are he ran into the fence also.

Its monogamy with ungulates. Survival of the fittest. They likely got over taken by the large pack, or they were FN kills and the wolves just cleaned them up. Sucks though, we are in a predator pit. A good wolf is a dead wolf.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-08-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Its monogamy with ungulates. Survival of the fittest. They likely got over taken by the large pack, or they were FN kills and the wolves just cleaned them up. Sucks though, we are in a predator pit. A good wolf is a dead wolf.
They were not shot,at first I tried to figure out how any one drove by my camp and who had shot them ,but there were no tracks in the road in behind me so I am 100 percent positive they were wolf's.FW came up and looked at them and we all agreed that the wolves overpowered them and took them down.I was about 200 miles to the nearest town and most poachers wouldn't drive 400 miles in a day the way that road was.I was cutting roads so they would have had to go by me and that was impossible in the place I was at with 18 inches of snow.

There's some big timber wolf's in this country in some certain places .I seen my share in my life,but sometimes you see a certain pack with some real big ones in it and this pack had some real good size ones in it.No brush wolf is going to take down 2 moose.Just good genetics past on for decades or even centuries who the heck knows.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
They were not shot,at first I tried to figure out how any one drove by my camp and who had shot them ,but there were no tracks in the road in behind me so I am 100 percent positive they were wolf's.FW came up and looked at them and we all agreed that the wolves overpowered them and took them down.I was about 200 miles to the nearest town and most poachers wouldn't drive 400 miles in a day the way that road was.I was cutting roads so they would have had to go by me and that was impossible in the place I was at with 18 inches of snow.

There's some big timber wolf's in this country in some certain places .I seen my share in my life,but sometimes you see a certain pack with some real big ones in it and this pack had some real good size ones in it.No brush wolf is going to take down 2 moose.Just good genetics past on for decades or even centuries who the heck knows.
What’s a brush wolf? Coyote?