Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Default New hunter. This is my tale. Hello.

I wanna start by saying I got a ton of respect for you guys and what you do. I’ve been creeping this site for a while and decided tonight to make an actual account. I grew up in the city and never quite understood the outdoor lifestyle. I’m an immigrant and my family really had no connection to the Canadian outdoors. I always spent a lot of time in the ravine carving sticks and climbing trees but that was about the extent of my outdoor adventures.

Anyway, last winter I started watching bushcraft videos, and decided this is something I’d like to try. I got out to the public land use zone McClean creek (wmu 406) about 6-7 times in the spring and early summer doing overnight camping, with many additional day trips as well. I camped without a tent most of the trips by making a leanto. It was very exhilarating. I never was alone overnight, I went with 1 other person each time, but frequently went alone on day trips. I brought a big two handed sword each time and had a ton of fun lol. My coworkers call me a sasquatch cause I’m fairly large and probably spook the dirt bikers pretty good when they see me lurking in the woods lol. Anyway, I saw some bear charge videos after the last time I went and decided I’m not going back without a firearm.

Went and got my firearms license, went shooting every second weekend since. I have a few firearms now. Once my initial excitement about guns became more of a constant attribute I went and got my hunting license a few weeks ago.

At this time i’m still kinda of wary about bringing a firearm anywhere other than McClean creek. I dont really know anyone who hunts or who would willingly put themselves in these sitatuions, which makes me realize how soft the average city person really is. I’ve learnt a lot about human nature and our history. I love the primal feeling, I love being out door with a sword, machete, or firearm in my hand.

Anyway I’ve been officially “hunting” for grouse and rabbits at McLean creek about 4 times. I saw one grouse and managed to bag her. I saw a single rabbit as I was walking away from the road so my shotgun wasn’t loaded yet. Yesterday I spent a very long day walking through McClean looking for these birds, didn’t see a single one. I’ve only seen grouse twice there throughout my whole adventures. Obviously this isn’t a good place to hunt as you can hear countless guns being fired and OHV’s buzzing around.

It’s tough out there but I think it’s time for me to graduate to a different area. I’m not ready, skilled enough, or prepared enough to hunt anything larger than these small game creatures at the moment.

I’ve been reading the guides and reading these forums. Trying to decide where to go. I gotta buy a GPS, I’ve been using “traditional” methods to find my way back every time and the day I mess that up i’m screwed, especially with the upcoming weather.

Just to confirm, I can carry a firearm anywhere that’s designated as public land right? And I can discharge, and harvest there? I did lots of reading trust me, but I haven’t been able to speak to anyone who actually does these things. That’s why I decided it’s time to start talking to y’all. I gotta find these grouse. I got one but that was the only time I’ve even seen one out there since I got my PAL.

Anyway, nice meeting y’all. This post has no real purpose other than finally telling someone about my interests. I got lots of close friends but I’m by far the most experienced outdoorsman (which is bad, very bad). I’m very isolated in the outdoorsman world. Hello.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:06 PM

Keep at it and keep exploring new areas ..You never stop learning out in the bush
Old 11-05-2018, 09:20 PM

Familiarize yourself with the regs booklet.

Download iHunter. Add the public land / lease land add on. Provides lots of good information about certain areas. For example some natural areas like Blackfoot grazing reserve require firearm discharge permits. Some places are primitive weapons only. IHunter can also be used as a rudimentary GPS if you’re somewhere with service.

Enjoy your time in the field.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 PM

Why do you do with the sword? Just curious.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Keep at it and keep exploring new areas ..You never stop learning out in the bush
The concept of public land is very exciting
Old 11-05-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
Why do you do with the sword? Just curious.
Not much really. Just feels good. Haven’t taken it out since I got my PAL.

I got this cold steel ATC that I bring camping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97D8EED3-B04C-4959-87CE-B59A2D39C4CB.jpg (12.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 11-06-2018, 06:23 AM

A good place to start
http://www.albertadiscoverguide.com/
Old 11-06-2018, 07:28 AM

Welcome Sasquatch!

If you want to shoot, go to 412 and follow the sound of gunfire. I know that I feel strange shooting in some areas where there is lots of mix-use recreation. 412 off the main trunk road is all about shooting, atv's and dirt bikes. Another good thing about that is you get a km into the bush and there is nobody (except of course the distant sound of gunfire).

I am also a newbie to hunting about the same stage as you... recently also discovered the practicality and fun of the tarp in the woods as well for camping. Ihad never brought a saw camping before and am really getting into the bushcraft side of things.

This past weekend I was falling asleep under my tarp thinking about bears when I realized that most of my bear fear is at night... a firearm will not do me much good in this scenario. This has kind of sealed the deal with me to always carry bear spray even if I have my rifle with me.

Look forward to reading your posts!
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 AM

Thumbs up New to Hunting

Good to see someone joining the ranks and asking for info beforehand...... just to confirm that besides taking the proper courses and getting your PAL that you also have the appropriate game licenses ie Bird game and wildlife certificate..... just asking as you do not mention it....
Old 11-06-2018, 08:15 AM

I think ihunter will solve a few of your problems! Also make sure that you zoom in close enough to get decent detail of your entire hunting area prior to leaving service. Then once you go on airplane mode, the quality of the aerial imagery stays along with your "your location". If you outside of that area (or were not zoomed in enough) the detail is crap because it wasn't loaded. Anyways just a trick I have found.

Good luck! Go watch some Youtube videos on field dressing whitetails and get your self one of those Outdoor Edge butcher kits (or just a regular skinning knife, I also really like my Havalon). Grab a Whitetail tag if your up for it!
Old 11-06-2018, 08:53 AM

Good on you! Neat to see someone strike out on their own, pursuing a new interest in the outdoors and hunting. It would be challenging without mentors. Don't spend too much time worrying about bears. Take your time, study the regs and maps... Not a lot of room for error, but so many great resources these days. Welcome to the addiction.
Old 11-06-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Welcome Sasquatch!

If you want to shoot, go to 412 and follow the sound of gunfire. I know that I feel strange shooting in some areas where there is lots of mix-use recreation. 412 off the main trunk road is all about shooting, atv's and dirt bikes. Another good thing about that is you get a km into the bush and there is nobody (except of course the distant sound of gunfire).

I am also a newbie to hunting about the same stage as you... recently also discovered the practicality and fun of the tarp in the woods as well for camping. Ihad never brought a saw camping before and am really getting into the bushcraft side of things.

This past weekend I was falling asleep under my tarp thinking about bears when I realized that most of my bear fear is at night... a firearm will not do me much good in this scenario. This has kind of sealed the deal with me to always carry bear spray even if I have my rifle with me.

Look forward to reading your posts!
Thank you for the tip mate. Do you see any grouse out in 412?
Old 11-06-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Thx mate
Old 11-06-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgoretrout View Post
Good to see someone joining the ranks and asking for info beforehand...... just to confirm that besides taking the proper courses and getting your PAL that you also have the appropriate game licenses ie Bird game and wildlife certificate..... just asking as you do not mention it....

Confirmed! All im missing now is the grouse. Know any good wmu’s for grousing?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddisfly7 View Post
I think ihunter will solve a few of your problems! Also make sure that you zoom in close enough to get decent detail of your entire hunting area prior to leaving service. Then once you go on airplane mode, the quality of the aerial imagery stays along with your "your location". If you outside of that area (or were not zoomed in enough) the detail is crap because it wasn't loaded. Anyways just a trick I have found.

Good luck! Go watch some Youtube videos on field dressing whitetails and get your self one of those Outdoor Edge butcher kits (or just a regular skinning knife, I also really like my Havalon). Grab a Whitetail tag if your up for it!
Thank you for the prime advice boss. I’ll just keep my phone trjed off til i really need it. Do people carry spare battery packs? Does every hunter have some type of gps?
Old 11-06-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Good on you! Neat to see someone strike out on their own, pursuing a new interest in the outdoors and hunting. It would be challenging without mentors. Don't spend too much time worrying about bears. Take your time, study the regs and maps... Not a lot of room for error, but so many great resources these days. Welcome to the addiction.
Thanks mate. Nature calls!!
Old 11-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch9000 View Post
Confirmed! All im missing now is the grouse. Know any good wmu’s for grousing?
406 is a fantastic wmu for grouse, blue, spruce and ruffed, and ptarmigan.

Just get away from the most heavily used recreational areas.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-06-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

Thank you buffalo boss. Is it better to drive down mclean creek road for a while then walk into the woods? I often just start at the staging area by the campground.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I second this, get yourself a kananaskis country map and stay away The recreation areas and you will find success, 406 is my favourite wmu for grouse. Stay away from Mclean Creek road in general.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thank you buffalo boss. Is it better to drive down mclean creek road for a while then walk into the woods? I often just start at the staging area by the campground.
My friend. Head to the south end of 406. West of Longview. Lots of grouse. You must be 365 meters away from the paved road to hunt. Park at Catarct Creek area and find a trail. Make sure your firearm is encased and unloaded until you are 365 meters off the road. Download Kananaskis country app to your I-hunter. It will show no hunting areas. Get away from Mclean creek and you will find grouse. Good luck. And yes I carry a spare battery for the I-phone.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
My friend. Head to the south end of 406. West of Longview. Lots of grouse. You must be 365 meters away from the paved road to hunt. Park at Catarct Creek area and find a trail. Make sure your firearm is encased and unloaded until you are 365 meters off the road. Download Kananaskis country app to your I-hunter. It will show no hunting areas. Get away from Mclean creek and you will find grouse. Good luck.

Brother, thank you for your secrets.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterrootfly View Post
I second this, get yourself a kananaskis country map and stay away The recreation areas and you will find success, 406 is my favourite wmu for grouse. Stay away from Mclean Creek road in general.
Thank you for the secrets.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the tip mate. Do you see any grouse out in 412?
Not tons, but I have seen them in the Waiparous valley. I will be looking for them myself in Dec/Jan and will likely go further South down to 402 as I saw a bunch there and like the country - but I am new to it as well.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:40 PM

Hello Sasquatch9000. Loved your story. Great job getting outdoors and building your skill set!
Everyone's advice regarding iHunter is spot on. This is an amazing resource for any outdoor activities. You could also consider downloading a podcast app and start listening to Highlander Hunting, a couple of Alberta guys who are really helping all levels of hunters. Other amazing podcasts are Hunt Backcountry, Beyond The Kill, Rookie Hunter, Rich Outdoors, Wired To Hunt. Check out some you tube videos by SoloHntr or Randy Newberg or Steven Rinella. Lots of books in the Calgary Library on hunting...Steven Rinella's two volumes are available in Calgary and are superb.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZippa View Post
Hello Sasquatch9000. Loved your story. Great job getting outdoors and building your skill set!
Everyone's advice regarding iHunter is spot on. This is an amazing resource for any outdoor activities. You could also consider downloading a podcast app and start listening to Highlander Hunting, a couple of Alberta guys who are really helping all levels of hunters. Other amazing podcasts are Hunt Backcountry, Beyond The Kill, Rookie Hunter, Rich Outdoors, Wired To Hunt. Check out some you tube videos by SoloHntr or Randy Newberg or Steven Rinella. Lots of books in the Calgary Library on hunting...Steven Rinella's two volumes are available in Calgary and are superb.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions. Best of luck to you.

Thx mate. I’ve been watching Steve rindless show meat eater, makes me wanna eat meat lol go figure
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

The best times in the woods hunting or fishing was by myself just poking around and figuring things out.....one thing you will learn is Mother Nature is never 100 percent predictable.

Enjoy the journey....a Sasquatch with a sword eh....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-09-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
The best times in the woods hunting or fishing was by myself just poking around and figuring things out.....one thing you will learn is Mother Nature is never 100 percent predictable.

Enjoy the journey....a Sasquatch with a sword eh....
Hey cat man. I've seen your posts. You posted about a trick where you put rocks in a coffee cup and shake em. Are you messin with me/us??

Tags
grouse, hunter, mcclean, rabbit